Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kris

Telegraphs Need To Go (New Gameplay Trailer)

498 members have voted

1. 1. Telegraphs

• NO, I don't want telegraphs
    • YES, I want telegraphs
    • I don't mind some telegraphs, but tone down the texture

After dealing with them in WildStar... along with the many issues with them (e.g. lag between PvP players cause the telegraphs to be out of sync on the screens of both players and w/e the server thinks they are), they're not necessary and can cause more issues than provide benefit.

AOE attacks (e.g. from spell casters) can still have some sort of rune circle before their spellcast animation cycle, but to have them for every type of attack is unnecessary.  We've gone many, many years without them and WildStar proved that it's just overkill and unnecessary.

> Suddenly, a Nyt appears in the discussion...

And add animation lock in combat to that need to go list.  :wacko:

Hmm they don't have to go, tera did it pretty good so it's not totally bad.

Let's see in the next few months where they take the combat, but I do hope they remove them telegraphs.

YannMLq.png

Hmm they don't have to go, tera did it pretty good so it's not totally bad.

Let's see in the next few months where they take the combat, but I do hope they remove them telegraphs.

Yeah, I download Tera right now to 'test' the combat system. :)
I agree, telegraphs is unnecessary and in large scale battle just colour bleeds -
it won't work properly in CF. 

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Yeah, I download Tera right now to 'test' the combat system. :)
I agree, telegraphs is unnecessary and in large scale battle just colour bleeds -
it won't work properly in CF. 

I'm impressed you at least tried it, most people just talk without the experience.  :)

Did you like the combat in tera? Yes it has locked animations but I feel they done it right where the animations aren't too long and the combat actually feels... solid. When I hit something with my massive sword I feel like it's actually connection. The animation times/movement speed are relevant to the class and weapon, very enjoyable.

YannMLq.png

And add animation lock in combat to that need to go list.  :wacko:

No, Animation locking is VERY important for good melee combat.

Without animation locking you end up with "ice skating" and melee combat where people just constantly strafe and run around swinging wildly.

Animation locking is important because not only does it prevent this, but it can be built upon with a great means for allowing counter and dodge/blocking.

Where you can read an opponents incoming move through the animation and if you know it well enough you can time a dodge, and because of the animation lock you then have time to "counter" them.

Remove animation locking and it knocks all of this away , all in favor of what?

This is what happens without animation locking:

http://youtu.be/Jn63_rpKbhQ?t=3m27s

This is what you can get if you build combat with animation locking and develop systems that go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tbcZvGSgVk

To me Severance was the epitome of a good melee combat. It had a lot of depth (weapons had their own movesets and combos), defense was just as important as offense, stamina played a vital role (you couldn't just spam attacks or turtle/dodge forever).

Animation locking played a vital role in making it all work together, if it hadn't had that it wouldn't have been nearly as fun or functioned well at all.

1. Crosshair aiming.

2. No Telegraphs.

3. Faster pace.

4. No Animation lock.

My wish list for the combat, ty.

That's terrible.

Crosshair aim, faster pace and more animation lock, why don't you just play quake 3. Words fail me.

The ultra annoying red circle bullsh!t is the worst phuckin thing to happen to MMORPGs... Its pure LAZINESS on the developers. Or lack of resources - to not make special animations or sound effects be our cue to dodge or counterattack, etc. As much as I hate most of TERA, atleast they used animations and sound effects to telegraph.

Please dont make Crowfall into "just watch for the red circles" combat. please

Edited by Founderz

No, Animation locking is VERY important for good melee combat.

Without animation locking you end up with "ice skating" and melee combat where people just constantly strafe and run around swinging wildly.

Animation locking is important because not only does it prevent this, but it can be built upon with a great means for allowing counter and dodge/blocking.

Where you can read an opponents incoming move through the animation and if you know it well enough you can time a dodge, and because of the animation lock you then have time to "counter" them.

Remove animation locking and it knocks all of this away , all in favor of what?

This is what happens without animation locking:

http://youtu.be/Jn63_rpKbhQ?t=3m27s

This is what you can get if you build combat with animation locking and develop systems that go with it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tbcZvGSgVk

To me Severance was the epitome of a good melee combat. It had a lot of depth (weapons had their own movesets and combos), defense was just as important as offense, stamina played a vital role (you couldn't just spam attacks or turtle/dodge forever).

Animation locking played a vital role in making it all work together, if it hadn't had that it wouldn't have been nearly as fun or functioned well at all.

agreed, animation lock is very good if done right. It adds impact and pacing to the combat that just feels right.

The people who want this in the game have been subjected to the cases where it has been implemented subtly and it adds an extra layer of immersion.

The people who don't want this in the game have been subjected to the cases where it has been implemented poorly, such as moving the screen way too much side to side and causing nausea, dizzyness, and it detracts from the game immensely.

Fix: Implement it subtle. Immersion is brought about by all the little things working together.

How about drawing telegraphs for the moves which were started while your character's field of vision was centered on the originating character(s) with a maximum of three characters?  Thus ambushes, flanking, are still possible but in huge battles it doesn't become a 'laser lightshow'

It's starting to be clear that the community clearly doesn't want to those telegraphs.

Not really, 62% is only a slight majority in the pool, and that is based on 202 votes, out of 9600 backers on kickstarter this is still just a small vocal minority.

It's also a terribly biased poll, as nobody wants telegraphs as shown in the pre-alpha video, but that isn't what the actual telegraphs in the release version of the game will look like.