Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kris

Telegraphs Need To Go (New Gameplay Trailer)

498 members have voted

1. 1. Telegraphs

• NO, I don't want telegraphs
    • YES, I want telegraphs
    • I don't mind some telegraphs, but tone down the texture

It isn't difficult to master. If there's so many visual clues the skill ceiling will be ridiculously low, and most have mastered the gameplay side within few months. No thanks to that, I want a game that challenges me for years to come, not something where I can only screw up when I'm completely drunk and high.

Have you played a game with telegraphs? It might sound easy to dodge things, but the thing about most competative games is that it always seems easy to play well, but actually executing that is much harder. On the top of that even though you are able to dodge all moves, because you are the best player ever, you still have to land hits on other people who are as über skilled as you and dodge every move. Easy to understand dosen't mean easy to acctually do. I think a lot of players think hardcore means that the game should be hard to understand and play, but a truely hardcore game is a game where the players dedicate time to become skilled and geared are the once that do well. It's a pvp game after all. A pvp game does not stagnate in skill unless developers screw up really hard, and a telegraph system isn't an element that will make things less or more skilled, just more intuitive and easier to get in to so that players can start praticing on executing and true skill.

Have you played a game with telegraphs? It might sound easy to dodge things, but the thing about most competative games is that it always seems easy to play well, but actually executing that is much harder. On the top of that even though you are able to dodge all moves, because you are the best player ever, you still have to land hits on other people who are as über skilled as you and dodge every move. Easy to understand dosen't mean easy to acctually do. I think a lot of players think hardcore means that the game should be hard to understand and play, but a truely hardcore game is a game where the players dedicate time to become skilled and geared are the once that do well. It's a pvp game after all. A pvp game does not stagnate in skill unless developers screw up really hard, and a telegraph system isn't an element that will make things less or more skilled, just more intuitive and easier to get in to so that players can start praticing on executing and true skill.

While I'm not the person quoted, I'd like to say that I've played plenty of games with telegraphs.

As a personal opinion (and also voicing the opinion of a few buddies), telegraphs are boring as hell.

They also make a crowded battlefield even more cluttered visually than is necessary.

I don't think it's any harder to visualise over having telegraphs. Personally I like them and find them useful, I've even got another idea to use them for something I call the tactical skill system I hate this whole realism over fun aspect, I like to have choice and systems that don't alienate players.

Wildstar didn't overuse telegraphs, wildstar just sucked! Yet another unfinished game jumping on the MMO wagon to try and make an quick buck!

-Truthe Yashikawa

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild.  Welcome Home.

http://crowfall.shivtr.com/

tell me a PvP game with a high skill cieleing and with telegraphs and I'll try it. self, ally and enemy telegraphs.

let's see if I change my mind...

Telegraphs do not generally bother me, though if they are used in the abundance that Wildstar used them, it can get absolutely crazy at endgame.

tell me a PvP game with a high skill cieleing and with telegraphs and I'll try it. self, ally and enemy telegraphs.

let's see if I change my mind...

Have you played Smite?

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

yes, utter horse poorly made socks that game imo

edit:

http://justinlowe.name/telegra.webm

watch that!

I'm not asking if you like it, question is whether there's a high skill ceiling. Though I have to ask as well, where a high skill ceiling is qualified as a necessity.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

I'm not asking if you like it, question is whether there's a high skill ceiling. Though I have to ask as well, where a high skill ceiling is qualified as a necessity.

fire away with other games then :)

I'll try them

While I'm not the person quoted, I'd like to say that I've played plenty of games with telegraphs.

As a personal opinion (and also voicing the opinion of a few buddies), telegraphs are boring as hell.

They also make a crowded battlefield even more cluttered visually than is necessary.

I'm a bit worried about the clutter in large battles too, but this can be toned down by removing them or making them less clear for people of a certain range etc. Other than that I don't see a problem. All and all I think it will be hard to say anything about the combat system before we've tried it. Balanced and interesting abilities and fluidity is what really matters, and because I felt like Wildstar had a fluid combat system that was interesting and satisfying I'm also very positive of this system.

I say keep them but turn it down a notch. They lower the skill floor but do nothing to the skill ceiling. At worst they're an eye sore, at best it will let new players come in once the game has matured without just getting destroyed and that's worth a lot in the long run.

Edited by eisenheim

I say keep them but turn it down a notch. They lower the skill floor but do nothing to the skill ceiling. At worst they're an eye sore, at best it will let new players come in once the game has matures without just getting destroyed and that's worth a lot in the long run.

Thats why they join in on tri-faction worlds to begin with. I'm sure a fair number of people will be willing to set up training camps within faction borders. We don't need telegraphing to learn the game.

I'd personally run a few training sessions with newer players to get them up to speed on how to fight if they don't get it, and a few tactics they can make use of once we have a general idea of things.

Edited by Tyroki

IMO the reason so many mmo's have started using "telegraphs" are because mmo's in general have started to become so "flashy" with spell effects and particles flying all over the place and players no longer are able to see subtle "Animations" and other things like they used to.

So instead of toning this down more mmo's have began to use these giant, super-brighit telegraphs that basically hand hold you to tell you "HEY GET OUT OF THE WAY" instead of relying on a players ability to actually read his enemy and make the judgement himself.

I say get rid of telegraphs and focus on providing good animations that players can LEARN (through playing) over time to understand what is happening and how combat works. That's part of the fun of action-games, like DArk Souls, learning what the enemies do, their attacks, how to avoid them. It's what gives you that sense of accomplishment when you play it smart, you do not need giant flashy telegraphs to do this.

Thats why they join in on tri-faction worlds to begin with. I'm sure a fair number of people will be willing to set up training camps within faction borders. We don't need telegraphing to learn the game.

I'd personally run a few training sessions with newer players to get them up to speed on how to fight if they don't get it, and a few tactics they can make use of once we have a general idea of things.

That would only work if a player is required to start in god's reach which is doubtful. People will pick the game types that appeal to them the most and that's by design. There's no reason to raise the skill floor over a cosmetic issue. If a player is confident that they don't need them then they should have the option to disable them.

That would only work if a player is required to start in god's reach which is doubtful. People will pick the game types that appeal to them the most and that's by design. There's no reason to raise the skill floor over a cosmetic issue. If a player is confident that they don't need them then they should have the option to disable them.

"you can turn off that aimbot, but you might fight someone who has it turned on, your choice!"

what will the majority of the playerbase do... I really can't tell

I'm okay with some telegraphs, but I would rather this didn't become the roller disco that wildstar was.

Yeah!  If I wanted a roller disco I'd go to a...  well...  yanno, a roller disco.