Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bruskie

Shadowbane has ruined MMORPGS for me

when I was 15 years old I started playing Everquest in high school. I learned about shadowbane and waited  a year to get into the last round of the beta. then it was on! I loved shadowbane, there is nothing like it, and I am afraid there will never be a game like it. since SB went down. it forced me to get a life =P. got married, started a career  and tried every single MMO out there. I have been let down so many times. by so many Developers. I have high hopes for this game..... but I had high hopes for Dark fall...  

Did SB ruin games for you? what is your burn out now on MMO's? mine is about a month. 

PS and my barbs!

Same story here. :(  I was 20 when Shadowbane released, a teenager when I first heard of it.  Was playing Everquest, my first MMO, at the time.  Once I saw Shadowbane coming, I quit EQ within the next month or so.  This was at a time when MMORPGs didn't have a tried and true template; pre-WoW.  I didn't know how unique SB would be, because I had just assumed that this amazing sort of gameplay was the direction MMORPGs were evolving.

I had taken SB for granted.  There has never come a game that offered the same things in terms of quintessentially dynamic GvG.  Games have been in the same vein, such as Darkfall or Mortal Online, but with limited success.  They've been inadequate for a slew of reasons: technological incapability, limited budgets, low skilled artists/animators, or downright flawed game design.  E.g. Yes, Darkfall offered cities and sieges; however, they were in predetermined locations, greatly limited, with predetermined structure placement, and half-baked siege mechanics. 

I'm hoping to positively influence the game, conceptually and in various other creative ways, into becomming something fans of that political/diplomatic/alliance/subterfuge/betrayal/war/META-PHATNESS would love.

"Food for the crows..."    Nobuo Xa'el

cdinUTh.png

When i was 20 about to graduate high school I picked up shadowbane not knowing anything about MMO's i never played everquest. in fact i bought shadowbane thinking it was a different game so it was by mistake that i took home this game that really did change me as a gamer. the first day i installed it ( which was within the first week or 2 that it came out ) started me a character on the WAR server i killed a couple spiders looted it then quit. I was so disappointed thinking i just wasted my money. I sat down a week later to try it again this time without what ever expectations i had ( i don't remember what those were lol ) and someone told me about the game, walked me through the first few levels, once i got the hang of it i was digging it cruzed up to level 21 and was ready to venture into the world, ran outside of khar to a full group/guild killing jackles, killed me took all my gold, loot, left me with nothing except a tell saying thanks for the scratch. i uninstalled again swore to not play it. a month later i tried again knowing full well what i was in store for ( which made me a better player ) found a guild fought in wars and had the most amazing time. 

SHADOWBANE RUINED ALL OTHER GAMES FOR ME TOO

lol nothing has ever made me feel the full range of emotions from fear to fearless proud to disgraced and everything in between. 

sorry for the long post TLDR: same as other post

Id say this game is the most likely spiritual successor, given the large number of original designers from original shadowbane

Waste Management

Ventrilo info: Carbon.typefrag.com 8165 pw Tootdat

when I was 15 years old I started playing Everquest in high school. I learned about shadowbane and waited  a year to get into the last round of the beta. then it was on! I loved shadowbane, there is nothing like it, and I am afraid there will never be a game like it. since SB went down. it forced me to get a life =P. got married, started a career  and tried every single MMO out there. I have been let down so many times. by so many Developers. I have high hopes for this game..... but I had high hopes for Dark fall...  

Did SB ruin games for you? what is your burn out now on MMO's? mine is about a month. 

PS and my barbs!

Exact same problem for me since 2003. Life sucks...

An eon or so ago, my grandkids made me play Runescape with them.  I maxed out a character with mind numbing repetition, but the only real fun I had in that game was pvp, which isnt easy to do in that game.  Someone told me I should try SB if I liked pvp so much.  So I talked a few of my guildies into trying it with me.  Most of them went back to Runescape, but a few of us stayed with SB.  Two of them even made a name for themselves.  Pepper became a war general for HOD(I know, hurt me too) and Magma made a name with his Templar by holding CN towns for ransom.

When SB went down, I tried WOW, FF, Pandora and a ton of others. None of them held my interest. Finally quit playing anything.

SBEMU raised my hopes, but finally, Magicbane came along. Magic is still not the same experience due to the low pop, but it is close.

I snuck into MorDor and became IC once.

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

RIJrtU4.png

You are so incredibly helpful, CYT. I don't know how I ever managed to do anything before we met. I was just bumbling my way through life, all lost-like. Thank you. My blessing cup runneth over.

SWrkfdj.jpg

epic. we had a guy get full member once on entropy. invited us all to CN and we killed them under their own tags at a bane.

Also got TA to de-sub their own subguild because I was pk'ing them under it and they couldn't banish me. took them 8 hours to get the GL back on to re-sub them.

epic. we had a guy get full member once on entropy. invited us all to CN and we killed them under their own tags at a bane.

Also got TA to de-sub their own subguild because I was pk'ing them under it and they couldn't banish me. took them 8 hours to get the GL back on to re-sub them.

LOL.  Old school SB. I remember those days with great fondness.  We used to have all kinds of sneaky, lowdown tricks back then.

old school? A month ago I got a toon into CN and repledged around out of curiosity. Found a whole town friended to anyone who joined the guild. yanked all their vendors.