Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bruskie

Shadowbane has ruined MMORPGS for me

I would also say that SB ruined MMO's for me, but mainly because no manufactured experience can come even close to the sheer richness of what all of the players in Shadowbane generated through their interactions. Forget playing the game for a second, I had more fun, felt more invigorated, and had more of a sense of purpose in some of my guilds meetings than I ever had actually playing World of Warcraft.

Try as they might, game developers cannot compete with the experiences these people gave me. The conflict in the game felt real to me. Shadowbane didn't just provide me with an awesome experience; I learned how to form effective relationships with people, I learned that the nature of politics is inherently grey, and most of all was surrounded by people that gave me the chance to be a leader.  I'd go as far as to say that my career wouldn't be what it is today without having had the sandbox of Shadowbane to experiment in.

The thing that pains me now is that even if I had that experience again (which would be awesome because I'd be able to apply a whole different set of skills to it) the risk of ruining my life because of the time investment is real :P. I'm here more out of nostalgia than anything - I don't know if I'll be anything more than casually available to play this.

Your milkshake lures all the fine folks to the yard. Verily, it is better than mine. Surely it is better than mine. Would you teach me, or would you levy a fee? - Integ

To be honest I dont think it was just the game.. it was the community that formed around the game.

Love them or hate them... and lots of us loved to hate some of them but the forums and the game brought a ton of people from all over the world together.

I know we have lost some of these people IRL

I know some of the Guilds have fallen apart :(

I know that some have grown up and have responsibilities that will keep them from being able to play

BUT I look forward to the community that will once again form around a game that is promising to kick some ass...

I am seeing names here from the many guilds I played with back in the SB days and will be looking forward to see who is in beta 2...

I dont want a SB2.. I want better, bloodier and well maintained.

< 3

~Vada~

my previous signature did not contain nudity... words covered the good bits but alas it is gone....

signx50_zps5b5a8244.jpg

I would also say that SB ruined MMO's for me, but mainly because no manufactured experience can come even close to the sheer richness of what all of the players in Shadowbane generated through their interactions. Forget playing the game for a second, I had more fun, felt more invigorated, and had more of a sense of purpose in some of my guilds meetings than I ever had actually playing World of Warcraft.

Try as they might, game developers cannot compete with the experiences these people gave me. The conflict in the game felt real to me. Shadowbane didn't just provide me with an awesome experience; I learned how to form effective relationships with people, I learned that the nature of politics is inherently grey, and most of all was surrounded by people that gave me the chance to be a leader.  I'd go as far as to say that my career wouldn't be what it is today without having had the sandbox of Shadowbane to experiment in.

The thing that pains me now is that even if I had that experience again (which would be awesome because I'd be able to apply a whole different set of skills to it) the risk of ruining my life because of the time investment is real :P. I'm here more out of nostalgia than anything - I don't know if I'll be anything more than casually available to play this.

Even casually being part of an experience like this provides more than hardcore playing other MMOs.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

It's funny, my wife doesn't mind when I play mmo's, but she hates Shadowbane! I guess it turns me into an unpleasant person or somethin ;). No other game can change my persona like that. I wonder if those other mmo's would have seemed better had Shadowbane not existed? Funny thing is, I came to Shadowbane from UO and thought it was carebear at first because you couldn't loot all gear. Boy was I wrong.

It's funny, my wife doesn't mind when I play mmo's, but she hates Shadowbane! I guess it turns me into an unpleasant person or somethin ;). No other game can change my persona like that. I wonder if those other mmo's would have seemed better had Shadowbane not existed? Funny thing is, I came to Shadowbane from UO and thought it was carebear at first because you couldn't loot all gear. Boy was I wrong.

After being the least lucky Vorg hunter in the history of Shadwobane I'm glad equipment didn't drop.

nAd1VPD.png

My wife has said the EXACT same thing to me.  She plays World of Warcraft, and encourages me to play WoW with her and any other beta test I may be doing at the time, but if I mention playing Shadowbane, she flips her wig lol.

cmurder%20sig_zpsaq2rwphh.jpg

After being the least lucky Vorg hunter in the history of Shadwobane I'm glad equipment didn't drop.

We will have to compare pedigrees on who is the least lucky vorg hunter:  I never got a piece or vorg or CC gear to drop for me during live, and just the healer sleeves on MB. I seriously had this happen to me, killed the CC glove dropper 5 times in a row after fighting off people and got nothing on the 6th drop a wizzy in our guild kills it and got the gloves and that was his 3rd pair...that week

Edited by gauis

We will have to compare pedigrees on who is the least lucky vorg hunter:  I never got a piece or vorg or CC gear to drop for me during live, and just the healer sleeves on MB. I seriously had this happen to me, killed the CC glove dropper 5 times in a row after fighting off people and got nothing on the 6th drop a wizzy in our guild kills it and got the gloves and that was his 3rd pair...that week

Yeah.... I spent weeks trying to get one set.  Weeks.  It wasn't being ganked or not being able to control the spawns... it was entirely... they wouldn't drop.  I had to start working with guildmates and I'd patrol the zone and they'd actually kill the dropper so I wouldn't jinx it.

RNG is not my friend.

nAd1VPD.png

lol, I know, right?  My most face palming one was killing the guy that drops the heavy legs.  Had four ppl on track, all of them scouts. Killed him and lo and behold, got the pants.  Knew the scouts would be closing in soon so ran away from the safe zone.  Opened my inventory and damn the luck, didnt have a recall. Hollered on guild chat for summon, no response.  So it is all up to me.  I keep running south, then circle around the zone, still have two scouts on my short track. Going to be a close race if I dont run out of stam.  

Fortune smiled on me, I made it to the safe zone and log in my warrior to trade the pants to him.  Only then did I realize that the drop was infernal pants, not vorg. Crap.

Shadowbane was only 1 of 2 MMOs that gave me the shakes while playing. The fear of loss or put in tense situations has only duplicated with Eve Online. I will say the memories I have with Shadowbane are the best out of all my gaming experiences. So much fun! I miss it.

I built my city on Vorg chest pieces.

Shadowbane was only 1 of 2 MMOs that gave me the shakes while playing. The fear of loss or put in tense situations has only duplicated with Eve Online. I will say the memories I have with Shadowbane are the best out of all my gaming experiences. So much fun! I miss it.

Quoted for great truth, the only other game I've experienced actual tension like that is Lineage II, when you PK'd another player and turned "Red" you were able to drop equipped items at a moderate chance, (chances seemed to drop every other update lol) but what made this truly fear inspiring was how much equipment cost in that game, god forbid you drop your weapon might as well quit, depending on the grade it could have been worth 1.5 mil, or 1.5bil. 

Edited by aperion

"Camouflage is the color of fear..  I have no need to hide from my foes.. I have no fear of death.  My colors I wear openly, they proclaim louder than any words, "I am proud to live, I am proud to die."

SB ruined me for other mmos.  I can get into mobas and shooters, but in the end I haven't been able to stick with an mmo for years like I did with SB.

The first time I ever logged into SB (after buying it on a whim and never having played an MMO before), I played it for 16 hours straight.  The level of immersion in the game's political structure and battle fronts seemed so real to me.  I was so invested in my guild, my teammates, the conflicts going on around us, and the knowledge that our actions in game truly mattered (within that sandbox lol...)  Nothing else has come even remotely close to the kind of experience SB provided.  I've tried Lineage II, LoL, GW2, been stuck in WoW for years (for lack of anything better to play), and have found that nothing has ever really filled that SB-shaped hole in my heart.

I played SB at a unique time in my life when I had time to put in 14 hours a day on Mourning.  Those days are long gone, and as many of you have said, we've grown up now, have careers, families, marriages, and a whole lot less time.  And yet still...there's this unique SB-type itch that longs to be scratched.  Whatever happens with Crowfall, I'm sure I'll be an enthusiastic part of it, but I don't know to what degree.  That said, I can't wait to see what this world offers, aside from a serious challenge to my time-management skills. :P

Until Crowfall hits:  ForumBane.  post 2 crush.   We'll burn your threads to the ground.

While there have been many MMOs I've enjoyed, in every one at some point I was thinking "SB did it better"

It's a bit sad that brand new games fail at doing things as well as a game that was released more than a decade ago.

I picked up SB at the local Best Buy when I was working my first professional job after my first Master's degree, and I had this time after work where I was like... Whoa... I don't need to be reading, or writing a paper right now, or grading some undergrad's work?!  Maybe I'll try a computer game.  I was attracted to the box.  Minotaurs, elves, dwarves, "irekei,"... ok, this looks compelling.  "Play to Crush."  Cool.

My first little bard ran out from a starter city and within 10 minutes I got ganked.  Whoa.  That sucked.  I'm disgruntled.  I'll go right back out.  Ganked again.

Damnit.

Maybe I'll read up on this game a little bit.

Got recruited to a PvP ganking guild because I was playing an elf.  Everything changed.  

No game ever since offered the depth of player interaction and political consequence that SB did.  I got sucked in, read the forums a dozen times a day, became a moderator, logged in to do maintenance crap every four hours, chatted with other players to develop a community and a guild concept, went overboard and got entirely invested in my characters and my guild.  I wrote a glossary and grammar for SB elvish and helped contribute to the first SB wiki.  Charted a timeline of SB history from the perspective of every race/class.  Became an advocate.

In some ways, I hope this isn't SB2.  Because it will ruin my life for the next 10 years. 

But if it is, bet your buttons I'll be into with with bells on.

Edited by kishijo

Ever since I stopped playing Shadowbane I never felt comfortable doing PvP in anything else. I would hesitate, run and generally try to avoid conflict. SB is the only game where I felt relaxed, albeit a few select encounters I've had, attacking other players. Aion, TERA (I just started playing it again, on a PvE server heh), ArcheAge and CABAL for example.

I mainly would stick to PvE focused games or servers since then. I put a lot of time into Final Fantasy XI and XIV. With no other game, imo, coming even close to the amount of build diversity every game aside from SB just felt bland in that regard.

@Shiden86•<Nendou|Jozefu|MooCow KungPow|KillerBewbies>

"Innovation requires risk; it's a key ingredient. We're comfortable with that, because we firmly believe that the core of this design is solid."

"Some of the people that we've attracted will figure out that this isn't the game for them. They will leave, and we'll thank for them giving our game consideration."

awwww this is all therapeutic n stuff

psychotherapy.png

Ever since SB closed I have been crying into my hello kitty pillow every night

WoW had open world PvP...then they patched it...

I tried to troll the forums but it just wasn't the same.

No enemy guilds to spy on

No ninja looting valuable items from rare mobs

no peek n steal from other inventories

*sniff*...*Wipes tear*

I tried em all

Age of Conan....they promised sieging...it sucked!!

Darkfall I spent hours macroing arrows against a meat wall, must have swam the entire sea...I grinded till my keyboard bled...only to have DF screw up my toon.

ESO, WoW, Archage, Warhammer, SWTOR etc....all bitter disapointments

all cookie cuter arenas ...and carry the flag..sigh

So now I pin my hopes to another chance at meaning.

a swift kick to the game gods at Ubi who listened to the consultants who told em mmos are dead. That they must only create console game and port them to PC.

so all hail Crowfall

my chance to sink back into the shadows and do what I do.

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

LOL.  Old school SB. I remember those days with great fondness.  We used to have all kinds of sneaky, lowdown tricks back then.

Yep - nothing has compared to the good old school SB.

My wife has said the EXACT same thing to me.  She plays World of Warcraft, and encourages me to play WoW with her and any other beta test I may be doing at the time, but if I mention playing Shadowbane, she flips her wig lol.

Well when she finds out you are playing a game mad by the devs of shadowbane with similarities to shadowbane you might go missing, leave me your gold bro.  It would be best to get a power of attorney set up now and I say that for all for all of the SB addicts that have been able to hold down relationships since the death of SB. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png