Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bruskie

Shadowbane has ruined MMORPGS for me

I played a ton of MMO but nothing has come even close to Ole Shadowbane. Granted, I was a ranking in the guild the got gangbanged by nearly the entire server and took a break after, but that was the best bane I ever got to witness. Even with the servers crashing.(Which I probally just gave away who I am since I have a close nameplate) I did go to WoW after a bit. But nothing held me like Shadowbane. My guild and I would quit WoW and play a new MMO, get bored and go back to WoW. I finally quit when Panda-land came out. Freeedom! Still nothing has yet to hold my interest like SB. Sure there are fun games but not like that.

Edited by Tempestdrake

Oh fun, I recognize many of the names here, and felt the urge to speak up and grab myself little bit of these joyous feelings.
I too have not felt home since Shadowbane left us. Still to this day I find myself reminisce about the glory days with old guild
members, the only real PvP game that left a hole in so many hearts, I hope we will be able to spam "STACK HERE" to try fill
it up once again.

Every mmo I try ends up being compared to SB in my mind, and they always fail.

ArhceAge was supposed to be different... It could have been close but it failed like the rest.

I have hopes for this game though. Good to see so many SB players in one place voicing their opinions.

test_sig_hurt_short.png

-Draconic Warlords, Usual Suspects, Freaks of Nature, Disturbed Forces, The Hate Crew, TSCCC-

My first PvP computer game was a MUD called Dragon Realms.  I guess that is weird because there never were any dragons.  There are people there who still remember my character Stolas.  I guess if you are an evil bastard who just got out of Infantry Officer Basic Course people remember that. Just like in SB you could hunt people down and kill em.  Mostly 1v1 with very limited group engagements.  But, it didnt have any graphics.

Shadowbane and UO gave me some graphics but nothing gets your blood pumping like hunting down other intelligent people.  At least on the computer you dont go to jail for bar fights. lol

Obsidian-ForumSignature.jpg

I would also say that SB ruined MMO's for me, but mainly because no manufactured experience can come even close to the sheer richness of what all of the players in Shadowbane generated through their interactions. Forget playing the game for a second, I had more fun, felt more invigorated, and had more of a sense of purpose in some of my guilds meetings than I ever had actually playing World of Warcraft.

Try as they might, game developers cannot compete with the experiences these people gave me. The conflict in the game felt real to me. Shadowbane didn't just provide me with an awesome experience; I learned how to form effective relationships with people, I learned that the nature of politics is inherently grey, and most of all was surrounded by people that gave me the chance to be a leader.  I'd go as far as to say that my career wouldn't be what it is today without having had the sandbox of Shadowbane to experiment in.

The thing that pains me now is that even if I had that experience again (which would be awesome because I'd be able to apply a whole different set of skills to it) the risk of ruining my life because of the time investment is real :P. I'm here more out of nostalgia than anything - I don't know if I'll be anything more than casually available to play this.

So much this (except maybe the career part, heh)

UO was grand, and then there was SB. And then...meh.

Hi Lindorn!  :)

Shadowbane is the only game I've cut work for.  It's also the only game that I've pulled treacherous diplomatic moves in that make a Team Diplomacy tournament pale in comparison.  The only game I've awoken an entire guild for at 3 AM and nobody complained.

I built cities of legend and helped knock down walls and crush enemies.  I had a dwarf running around Lankhmar once screaming in terror from my minotaur and conversed with defeated enemies thanking me for not "hitting me with that big stick" again.

Shadowbane:  I love you.

Edited by Stormcrow

tumblr_opi65cphh71v5mc1xo1_400.png

OMG HAI

So much this (except maybe the career part, heh)

UO was grand, and then there was SB. And then...meh.

Hi Lindorn!  :)

Your milkshake lures all the fine folks to the yard. Verily, it is better than mine. Surely it is better than mine. Would you teach me, or would you levy a fee? - Integ

when I was 15 years old I started playing Everquest in high school. I learned about shadowbane and waited  a year to get into the last round of the beta. then it was on! I loved shadowbane, there is nothing like it, and I am afraid there will never be a game like it. since SB went down. it forced me to get a life =P. got married, started a career  and tried every single MMO out there. I have been let down so many times. by so many Developers. I have high hopes for this game..... but I had high hopes for Dark fall...  

Did SB ruin games for you? what is your burn out now on MMO's? mine is about a month. 

PS and my barbs!

Shadowbane was my first MMORP ever, and I miss it dearly.

It was one of the last MMO's that really emphasized the importance of being part of a guild for the sake of PVP, and punished players for death in the world.

I was REALLY hoping that Archeage was going to bring that back for me, but it flopped : (

Looking forward to Crowfall, I hope it delivers!

kuZFoIM.png

There's a void in my PK soul that cries out for a title that can bring back memories of SB. Let's hope CF can fill that void...cause honestly I haven't wrecked cities in a loooooong time and I'm really looking forward to getting my foot stuck up someone's arse!

So yes to answer your question, SB ruined it all for me ;)

-R

The Balance - Nation of Equilibrium

"You can run but you'll DIE tired.."

I got a list goin!

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

When i was 20 about to graduate high school I picked up shadowbane not knowing anything about MMO's i never played everquest. in fact i bought shadowbane thinking it was a different game so it was by mistake that i took home this game that really did change me as a gamer. the first day i installed it ( which was within the first week or 2 that it came out ) started me a character on the WAR server i killed a couple spiders looted it then quit. I was so disappointed thinking i just wasted my money. I sat down a week later to try it again this time without what ever expectations i had ( i don't remember what those were lol ) and someone told me about the game, walked me through the first few levels, once i got the hang of it i was digging it cruzed up to level 21 and was ready to venture into the world, ran outside of khar to a full group/guild killing jackles, killed me took all my gold, loot, left me with nothing except a tell saying thanks for the scratch. i uninstalled again swore to not play it. a month later i tried again knowing full well what i was in store for ( which made me a better player ) found a guild fought in wars and had the most amazing time. 

SHADOWBANE RUINED ALL OTHER GAMES FOR ME TOO

lol nothing has ever made me feel the full range of emotions from fear to fearless proud to disgraced and everything in between. 

sorry for the long post TLDR: same as other post

Here's what's so cool, and what Todd Coleman isn't afraid to deliver on that most all post-WoW MMOs won't dare touch. 95% of your post reflects on reasons why you disliked the game and uninstalled the game in rage.Then at the tail end of your last sentence you casually mention that it's the best game ever without diving into any detail what-so-ever. I find this to be the best summary i've seen in this thread, honestly.

Shadowbane introduced piles of obstacles and frustrations you had to fight through in order to ultimately have a good time. You had to struggle and group and coordinate with others to have a good time. You had to make decisions, friends and alliances in order to survive in the game. You had to learn the systems, the classes, and the skills in order to be effective. You simply could not survive in the game or enjoy it for that matter without doing those things.

Compare that to MMOs post-WoW era where you can mindlessly, easily, boringly accept quest X from NPC Y to gather twelve Zs, which you can finally exchange for 14 xp and a apprentice's water skin of the whale, which allows you to sit and regen 30 mana over 30 minutes.

No skill, no value, no fun... no point! -- A true time-sink.

AND, More recently, you now have the option in the newer MMOs to pay $5 and bypass "questing" (wasting your time) to attain your apprentice's water skin of the whale.. This allows you to progress to the next boss even faster so that you can kill him and get your adept's water skin of the whale, which provides 60 mana over 30 minutes and preps you to fight the next useless boss with awesome particle effects. That's why we're there in today's MMO, for the awesome particle effects? Right?!.... Anyone?!!?...

Shadowbane Ruined MMOs and our lasting hope until release, is that Crowfall will bring back the consequences and bring back the fun. Case closed.

I'd say Shadowbane contributed to ruining other games for me but UO started it all. I found myself macroing in both games to get to a level of survivability in PVP but the openness of both games is what really jaded me. Being able to roam around the game world with friends looking for trouble is something hard to find these days. The only other game I have spent significant time in other than UO and SB is EVE Online. 

Eve Online, Darkfall, Age of Conan, Warhammer, Mortal Online, Archeage and likely Crowfall all are games that failed to deliver after Shadowbane ended. At this point I can get a feel for what games are clearly going to suck prior despite their attitude of superiority.

Crowfall is too early in it's concept and has some potential but the apparently un-siegable Eternal Kingdoms bit seems like a pansy deal-breaker for me, though I am imagine it is going to flip flop in functionality quite a lot before release as they have stated opposing things on how it is intended to work, even in the same video at one point which was hilarious.