Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

"Towel-snapping" War Stories

[NOTE: This was originally posted in the Saga forum. After thinking about it further, I thought moving it here was a better idea. So, here we are. ~P~]

I received this question in a private message and thought it would be better to answer it publicly. 

Are we allowed to call out people in war stories and make direct attacks?

The Rules of Conduct are clear about what's allowed on the forum, and how those rules differ from the in-game rules.  

War Stories sort of bridge the two in that they are based on in-game action - where rules are far more flexible - and the forum rules where the stories (or links to videos) are posted. I get where this could lead to confusion.

It is okay to call out a player or group in a War Story video so long as: 

• It is a reference to the character, not the actual person behind the character (e.g. no personal attacks).
  • There is no hate speech*. We have a zero tolerance for any manner of hate speech whether it's on the forums, in-game or in a War Stories video. 
  • There are no real-world threats. Those threats are another bullet point on our "zero tolerance" list. 
  • No private communications are shared. Clipping something said in an open chat channel is fine. Blasting something said in a private message isn't. 
  • Do not accuse others of cheating/exploiting. If you suspect someone is cheating, contact support@crowfall.com. Don't post about it on the forum or spout off about it in-game. 

Crowfall is all about conflict and conquest. Not all rivalries are going to be friendly, and there's going to be some smacktalk. And that's okay, so long as people don't take it too far and keep it in the proper place. 

HMU with questions. 

* From the Rules of Conduct: Hate speech, including the degrading or vilifying of a particular race, religion, ethnic group, gender, sexual preference or sexual identity, as well as any members of these groups.

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Is it right to understand that if we make shots at an entire group of people we are pretty safe from warning points? and if we make a shot at a person its a high chance of it being against the rules?

11 minutes ago, pamintandrei said:

Is it right to understand that if we make shots at an entire group of people we are pretty safe from warning points? and if we make a shot at a person its a high chance of it being against the rules?

That isn't where the line is drawn. It's not about individuals versus groups.

You can attack characters, but not players.

IhhQKY6.gif

8 hours ago, Jah said:

That isn't where the line is drawn. It's not about individuals versus groups.

You can attack characters, but not players.

Its still kinda muddy though.

For instance, if I say "Jah is terrible at this" in the context of gameplay, which am I talking about? Am I talking about Jah the guinecian, or Jah the person controlling Jah the guinecian? Am I talking about Jah being terrible at hunting down stealthers as an in world thematic statement or am I talking about Jah the play being terrible at hitting the required hotkeys to hunt down stealthers?

We don't often make a clear line between characters and players becuase they're one in the same most of the time. I don't know Jah the player aside from in the context of Jah the character. I can argue on forums and discord with Jah, but the line between the two isn't always cleanly cut.

There's a gulf of uncertainty there that leads to a grey area of muddy interpretations. Occasionally it's obvious when addressing the player (for example remarking on something that has no relevance to crowfall) but its not always obvious where the line to be stepped over is when "towel snapping" and that's going to be a moderation and policy headache.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

16 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

For instance, if I say "Jah is terrible at this" in the context of gameplay, which am I talking about? Am I talking about Jah the guinecian, or Jah the person controlling Jah the guinecian? Am I talking about Jah being terrible at hunting down stealthers as an in world thematic statement or am I talking about Jah the play being terrible at hitting the required hotkeys to hunt down stealthers?

We don't often make a clear line between characters and players becuase they're one in the same most of the time. I don't know Jah the player aside from in the context of Jah the character. I can argue on forums and discord with Jah, but the line between the two isn't always cleanly cut.

There's a gulf of uncertainty there that leads to a grey area of muddy interpretations. Occasionally it's obvious when addressing the player (for example remarking on something that has no relevance to crowfall) but its not always obvious where the line to be stepped over is when "towel snapping" and that's going to be a moderation and policy headache.

Oh, I agree. I'm just saying the line isn't between attacking individuals versus groups.

Good luck getting players to use language that makes it clear that they are talking about characters rather than players. Most players don't distinguish between the two. The policy will be hard to adhere to and hard to enforce.

Edited by Jah

IhhQKY6.gif

6 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

For instance, if I say "Jah is terrible at this" in the context of gameplay, which am I talking about? Am I talking about Jah the guinecian, or Jah the person controlling Jah the guinecian?

Or indeed, Jah the 7 dimensional Hamsteroid being that's controlling Jah the person, controlling Jah the Guinecian. You do know that what we 'players' think of as 'IRL' is actually an MMORPG played by extra-dimensional boomers ?

Spoiler

Original Joke Credit: Will McLean "Papers & Paychecks" illustration in the 'Dungeon Masters Guide' for Advanced Dungeons & Dragons.

uLKu7r8.jpg

7 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

I thought Jah was an 🦉.

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

On 2/13/2020 at 8:31 AM, Darksun_ said:

What if you are just RPing a character who makes personal attacks on other characters....

That’s my thing, get your own. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png