Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Dev Diary: The Winged Knight

35 minutes ago, Jah said:

We know a big patch is coming and we know there will be a big reveal of information to go with it. This dev diary may not have taken the edge off the waiting, but I don't see much point in rending our clothes and putting on sackcloth.

But i look hot in burlap. 

hqdefault.jpg

unknown.png

In all seriousness the Aracoix are too cool and have some unique armor skins. Makes me think they'll be playable in the future at some point 🙂

This made me laugh really hard - First the News and after this thread - Thank you ❤️

I can feel the frustration in the active community, but these kind of responses will generate equal amounts of frustration to ACE as well and the result is just an increasing gap between the two - that will help nobody in the end.

IMO Problem is not with ACE - Problem is with the active community. Let me try to explain my pov.

ACE is not making/marketing this game to the 500-1000 people bothering to keep a close eye on this game. If they would do that then I would wholeheartedly agree with every post in this thread.

ACE is releasing an information flow for the masses - and the fact that there are Wartribes in the game is old news for very few people.

If you are part of the active community then you obliviously care about Crowfall. Then for a moment put your self in ACE's shoes and try to understand their perspective. 
I get equally frustrated by the 'funny' marketing news and even more frustrated that I need to pacify my own guild, but every time I do the above exercise then I see the value in the current approach.

Patience is a virtue!

Yours,

Edited by KDSProm

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

2 hours ago, KDSProm said:

This made me laugh really hard - First the News and after this thread - Thank you ❤️

I can feel the frustration in the active community, but these kind of responses will generate equal amounts of frustration to ACE as well and the result is just an increasing gap between the two - that will help nobody in the end.

IMO Problem is not with ACE - Problem is with the active community. Let me try to explain my pov.

ACE is not making/marketing this game to the 500-1000 people bothering to keep a close eye on this game. If they would do that then I would wholeheartedly agree with every post in this thread.

ACE is releasing an information flow for the masses - and the fact that there are Wartribes in the game is old news for very few people.

If you are part of the active community then you obliviously care about Crowfall. Then for a moment put your self in ACE's shoes and try to understand their perspective. 
I get equally frustrated by the 'funny' marketing news and even more frustrated that I need to pacify my own guild, but every time I do the above exercise then I see the value in the current approach.

Patience is a virtue!

Yours,

It must be nice to be as optimistic as you are. I fear they are loosing touch with the fanbase, I see where you are coming from but these are DEV diaries. We wanna see some real progress with the game that we have sunk time and money into.

1 hour ago, example4444 said:

We wanna see some real progress with the game.

In Jan Q&A we've been teased with 'loads of info on 5.110' over the next few weeks  - and we got what we got - bad communication on ACE.

In Feb Q&A It's been said it's coming and it will be all in one load.

So we (the active community) need to hang in there as 5.110 is coming. Could be March but it's coming.

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

As @Jah and @KDSProm expressed, the active community are not really the target of those News, it's more for the people outside who are just keeping a distant eye on the game.

So yeah those news are not sexy as a Frostweaver/Guilds Alliance system/Dregs would be, but at least they didn't put a Colossal Update with a new game done in our back (hope tomorrow news won't change that sentence haha :D 

But i found you hard with Ace, they just got silent for 6 months + because they wanted to focus on the last part of the game we are waiting for, previous to that they were very active and kind, responded to a lot of questions on forums or emails for 4 years, it's not the end of the world to wait a little more especially when the deadline is really near.

Off course you have the right to be upset, i'm a little too, but it's not really the time to get on them like that and getting the torch and forks (yet)

WnxjrJ9.gif

Thelanas Kar'Pal Membre fondateur de l'alliance Naerth en 2001 - Ex Shadowbane European Advisor Damnation/Carnage/Vindication/Corruption http://www.twitch.tv/gorwald/profile

3 hours ago, KDSProm said:

IMO Problem is not with ACE - Problem is with the active community.

Sure then lets all leave the game and wait for it to fully launch.
Cause if they only want feedback 6 months into making systems then there is no point in having any open development. Just close the curtain tell us  "we will get you the game in one year and don't ask anything".But they are trying to please both, they want to be like "we have an open development that you are part of" but also "yea but we also don't want to keep you happy".

Guys, seriously. What's the point? As seen right now, the game's a joke. Nobody cares about a single new enemy being added. We care about the core features that are meant to be coming soon. We care about combat polish, divine favour, parcel tags, optimisation. What is the actual point in limiting communication so much when there isn't a game yet? You can't just go from an open development model into this before your game is out.

The servers are empty, we didn't receive any updates in half a year, the game is barely a framework, and you have the balls to make a big deal out of a single enemy being added? People who just stumble across this game won't care, they don't know the significance of War Tribes in the first place. And they sure as custard aren't going to look at that shadowless picture and say "Damn, this looks great, let's buy it right now", because it doesn't. People who have been following the game for some time won't care, we want to know what's actually happening to the game. So again, what's the point? Either release substantial information or don't release information at all.

If we don’t get a new rock to bash in one the upcoming diaries I’m going to be disappointed.  

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

ACE, your marketing strategy appears self-contradictory to us.

On one hand, you say you're marketing this to the non-tester masses.  You release garbage news tidbits and withhold anything useful about the coming 5.110 build on the theory that you'll get more attention with an information overload when the patch hits. 

On the other hand, you persist with cultivating your pet streamers and you continue to push "war stories" when there's no war going on because 99.95% of your paid tester base isn't playing.

You could release racial skills one race every few days if you wanted a little tease to build hype.  "Aracroix knight" is a waste of your time and ours.   Your absolute best marketing was when you were releasing "patch notes from the future" - your player base was engaged, and the mmo game sites whose attention you covet were writing articles about the coming changes.

You have so much you could write dev diaries about:

• Caravan mechanics
  • Refineries
  • New racial attributes
  • Discipline Changes
  • Thralls
  • Crafting Changes
  • Harvesting Changes
  • Guild interaction (subguilds, alliances)
  • Stronghold buildings
  • How strongholds will work in dregs (who can build where, will some sites be restricted to fort level or will all ruins be buildable to full castle / cities)
  • How sieges will work in dregs (cost of sieging, schedules of sieging, how to initiate a siege)
  • God-specific outposts
  • Power changes to each class and promotion (that could get you 20 dev diaries alone)
  • New passive skill trees and progression rates
  • Frostweaver (again you could get 4 articles out of that, one for the base class, one for each promotion)

The list goes on and on.

You will get a better response from the gaming sites by releasing a long string of meaningful information drops leading up to 5.110.  The gaming sites want views - they'll publish every release.  They'd prefer 1000 eyes on each of 50 releases than 2500 eyes on a single news dump article.  And the unwashed masses who aren't backing Crowfall are perhaps not as stupid as you think they are - they'll appreciate more actual content in their news, too.

7 minutes ago, Durenthal said:

On one hand, you say you're marketing this to the non-tester masses.  You release garbage news tidbits and withhold anything useful about the coming 5.110 build on the theory that you'll get more attention with an information overload when the patch hits. 

On the other hand, you persist with cultivating your pet streamers and you continue to push "war stories" when there's no war going on because 99.95% of your paid tester base isn't playing.

You could release racial skills one race every few days if you wanted a little tease to build hype.  "Aracroix knight" is a waste of your time and ours.   Your absolute best marketing was when you were releasing "patch notes from the future" - your player base was engaged, and the mmo game sites whose attention you covet were writing articles about the coming changes.

You have so much you could write dev diaries about:

• Caravan mechanics
  • Refineries
  • New racial attributes
  • Discipline Changes
  • Thralls
  • Crafting Changes
  • Harvesting Changes
  • Guild interaction (subguilds, alliances)
  • Stronghold buildings
  • How strongholds will work in dregs (who can build where, will some sites be restricted to fort level or will all ruins be buildable to full castle / cities)
  • How sieges will work in dregs (cost of sieging, schedules of sieging, how to initiate a siege)
  • God-specific outposts
  • Power changes to each class and promotion (that could get you 20 dev diaries alone)
  • New passive skill trees and progression rates
  • Frostweaver (again you could get 4 articles out of that, one for the base class, one for each promotion)

The list goes on and on.

You will get a better response from the gaming sites by releasing a long string of meaningful information drops leading up to 5.110.  The gaming sites want views - they'll publish every release.  They'd prefer 1000 eyes on each of 50 releases than 2500 eyes on a single news dump article.  And the unwashed masses who aren't backing Crowfall are perhaps not as stupid as you think they are - they'll appreciate more actual content in their news, too.

this

38 minutes ago, pamintandrei said:

this

I tend to disagree with @Durenthal but he’s right.  @Pann @jtoddcoleman @Tyrant  please read his post. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

56 minutes ago, Durenthal said:

I mean, look at Wolcen for instance. It's been getting a barrage of regular content for over a month now detailing a lot of the changes coming to the game. They even went and shared 5-6 skills each week, sharing a post about a different modifier every day on their twitter. Why can't Crowfall guys do the same? It would do them a lot better than focusing on the game's lacking visuals.

2 hours ago, Durenthal said:

Understatement. This just makes no sense from any angle you look at it...

Is this for backers?

There are all kinds of references to changes made ("quality of life changes", "in addition to current methods of leveling", "say farewell to the survival tray", "a first look at the new load powers out") so you would think that the reader is intended to have some frame of reference in the current state of development.  ACE posts them to the forums to bring our attention to them.  However, the information is regurgitated, scarce, and COMPLETELY tone deaf to what has been going on in the community and it is precious hard to think that anyone at ACE thought these would go over well with the active testers, like at all...

If not for backers, then is this for marketing purposes to attract new players?

Again, half of these Dev Diaries make reference to current state, something prospective players will know little to nothing about.  Of all this game will be, is coming out of the gate with this alleged "marketing campaign" with a few tidbits on the power bar, clearly intended for current testers, along with a few random tidbits about PvE (expressly stated to not be any sort of real focus for this game) really going to convince anyone new to join?  If they check the forums, it will not help sell it because they will see the backers frustrated and in revolt, and taking this information on its face makes CF look like something that it is not, and will never, be because there isn't enough information in these micro-releases to paint the whole picture.

If this is a marketing campaign then where is the external outreach?  Anyone seen any buzz on the interwebs?  Gotten any emails (not that you could count emails to existing backers a fresh outreach campaign)?  Seen an add in a banner anywhere?  Is ACE waiting to blast emails until they queue up the thousands of these Dev Diaries they would need (given the current content) to communicate anything of substance about the game to prospective players, all while enraging and alienating their most loyal base?  It is entirely possible there is an outreach we don't see going on and that it is generating some traffic to the site, but I can't see that traffic continuing to flow beyond a few Dev Diaries given these microscopic and redundant releases.

This does not pass the sniff test; it is not seemingly for anyone...

I think the writing is on the wall that the active community should just plan on collecting their own information once the release drops, because ACE has made it clear through their actions that providing relevant and transparent information is no longer something they are willing to do.

I'd honestly have rather signed an NDA and been well informed than to be strung along like this: #failedexperiment

Edited by starrshipcs
Edited for clarity

Just now, Jah said:

The dev diaries are not the “marketing campaign.” They are tidbits. The real news is still to come.

The Dev Diaries aren't anything; that's the point

14 minutes ago, starrshipcs said:

Understatement. This just makes no sense from any angle you look at it...

Is this for backers?

There are all kinds of references to changes made ("quality of life changes", "in addition to current methods of leveling", "say farewell to the survival tray", "a first look at the new load powers out") so you would think that the reader is intended to have some frame of reference in the current state of development.  ACE posts them to the forums to bring our attention to them.  However, the information is regurgitated, scarce, and COMPLETELY tone deaf to what has been going on in the community and it is precious hard to think that anyone at ACE thought these would go over well with the active testers, like at all...

Is this for marketing purposes to attract new players?

Again, half of these Dev Diaries make reference to current state, something prospective players will know little to nothing about.  Of all this game will be, is coming out of the gate with this alleged "marketing campaign" with a few tidbits on the power bar, clearly intended for current testers, along with a few random tidbits about PvE (expressly stated to not be any sort of real focus for this game) really going to convince anyone new to join?  If they check the forums, it will not help sell it because they will see the backers frustrated and in revolt, and taking this information on its face makes CF look like something that it is not, and will never, be because there isn't enough information in these micro-releases to paint the whole picture.

If this is a marketing campaign then where is the external outreach?  Anyone seen any buzz on the interwebs?  Gotten any emails (not that you could count emails to existing backers a fresh outreach campaign)?  Seen an add in a banner anywhere?  Is ACE waiting to blast emails until they queue up the thousands of these Dev Diaries they would need (given the current content) to communicate anything of substance about the game to prospective players, all while enraging and alienating their most loyal base?  It is entirely possible there is an outreach we don't see going on and that it is generating some traffic to the site, but I can't see that traffic continuing to flow beyond a few Dev Diaries given these microscopic and redundant releases.

This does not pass the sniff test...I think the writing is on the wall that the active community should just plan on collecting their own information once the release drops, because ACE has made it clear through their actions that providing relevant and transparent information is no longer something they are willing to do.

I'd honestly have rather signed an NDA and been well informed than to be strung along like this: #failedexperimen

you dont see traffic to the site because there is none,we are currently in the worst performing period since at leat 5.3.Aaaaand it all went downhill after a certain person joined the team,take a wild guess and its probably correct.

~completelyignoringthenewscontentinordertoretainownmentalsanity~

Dear devs,

please hurry up with releasing 5.110 - we are starting to go nuts.

But please don't hurry up too much - if you release a bugged 5.110 we will also go bananas. Bananas wil make us go ape - and at this point the doom loop would close the circle. And if this circle is closed earlier than the game circle ... game over might be the next term to be used.

~fingerscrossed~

Edited by Kraahk