Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Dev Diary: The Winged Knight

19 minutes ago, Frykka said:

Evidently nobody remembers the dry spell from May to November waiting for anything on 5.3 the huge race/class split patch that took as long as 5.110 is taking.

There wasn't one though? Test was being updated semi regurarly. There were substantial blog updates being posted. And when the race/class split reveal happened, it was meaty and detailed.

38 minutes ago, Frykka said:

A potential new customer shouldn't see an add/article/news for 5.110 content and then not be able to buy in and play...  I think that is the marketing departments reasoning.  Think about it.  If we put out news which hits the web hard etc but the product is not available to try, you aren't going to get the impact of that info dump as immediate new customers.  It really is true.  Hype in this industry is measured in weeks.  Yes, little pieces is still the better slow trickle but start it once we can get into the Test server with 5.110 content and keep it coming all the way into the Live launch which will be Beta testing and invite all the $0 scrubs.

This is dumb, who reads posts about "Future Features" and expects for them to be in the game right now? Every MMO out there shares upcoming features before they're out, nobody expects for them to be a part of the game currently.

56 minutes ago, Frykka said:

If we put out news which hits the web hard etc but the product is not available to try, you aren't going to get the impact of that info dump as immediate new customers.  It really is true. 

No? It isnt at all.

Before the "anyone can buy their way into beta" fad of the last 5 years, game betas were closed to the vast majority of people. The only thing we had were videos, streams and blogs about what cool things were going on that we could never experience ourselves until the game went into open beta a week or two before it was released.

GW2 closed beta

Wildstar closed beta

and on and on and on....

We were introduced to the games and what was being added with zero chance to log in and experience it for ourselves....years in advance of the games being launched and it built hype just fine.

Edited by Toadwart

39 minutes ago, Frykka said:

A potential new customer shouldn't see an add/article/news for 5.110 content and then not be able to buy in and play...  I think that is the marketing departments reasoning.  Think about it.  If we put out news which hits the web hard etc but the product is not available to try, you aren't going to get the impact of that info dump as immediate new customers.  It really is true.  Hype in this industry is measured in weeks.  Yes, little pieces is still the better slow trickle but start it once we can get into the Test server with 5.110 content and keep it coming all the way into the Live launch which will be Beta testing and invite all the $0 scrubs.

Game companies put out CGI clips with no in-game footage, screen shots, brief details, or heck just the name of a product months or even years in advance. That doesn't stop anyone from still being interested when a product is available in whatever state. This is what marketing and hype are all about.

Giving active paying customers joke articles as news is not earning respect or building hype.

ACE has provided news of upcoming features from the start. Yes some has been a surprise and came in a more lump drop, but not standard practice.

There is nothing stopping ACE from providing small details now and either lumping them together or expanding on them in a larger news drop in the future.

These Dev Diaries have almost no content and while I don't expect a lot more, they shouldn't be laughable like this one. As someone suggested, even posting a screen shot of some Racials would be a lot better. No lengthy descriptions or anything, just copy/paste a picture of what a race has now. Low effort, high return.

If they miss the planned Feb launch of 5.110 (~16 days to go), at least they could of fed us some tiny morsels while they get it done and into our hands.

Waiting until the same day it is available to download does no one any favors and there is nothing stopping them from releasing articles or going through 3rd parties to hype up changes and new features post availability. In the mean time, really a mob class? :rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, Frykka said:

Evidently nobody remembers the dry spell from May to November waiting for anything on 5.3 the huge race/class split patch that took as long as 5.110 is taking.

I remember and that is what annoys me. This is an ongoing issue with their communication. Do we expect this to change during beta, launch, post-launch? Or is this how ACE plans to operate?

2 hours ago, Frykka said:

To be fair, they wont 'hype' 5.110  This game engine wont be able to handle returning testers let alone inviting new folks to watch a slideshow. Fact is even ACE has said they haven't made many performance improvements for 5.110. 

3 hours ago, APE said:

I remember and that is what annoys me. This is an ongoing issue with their communication. Do we expect this to change during beta, launch, post-launch? Or is this how ACE plans to operate?

Todd has hinted in the past that once they launch, they'll act more like a regular mmo company, which means radio silence until they have something to show us or can put a date on it

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

2 hours ago, mystafyi said:

To be fair, they wont 'hype' 5.110  This game engine wont be able to handle returning testers let alone inviting new folks to watch a slideshow. Fact is even ACE has said they haven't made many performance improvements for 5.110. 

Which makes me question who they are waiting to market all the new info to? If they think those that have pre-paid hundreds/thousands years in advance because we have faith are critical, wait until the free signup people show up. They are going to come in, see a non-feature complete product, bugs, lack of optimization, etc and react accordingly. If they are dropping the pre-alpha tag and jumping right into beta, people are going to associate a particular quality to that term. Unless they step back from their now planned 2020 launch and say it will be further out and will use their new funding to get things finished eventually.

25 minutes ago, coolster50 said:

Todd has hinted in the past that once they launch, they'll act more like a regular mmo company, which means radio silence until they have something to show us or can put a date on it

Which likely will follow other MMOs with bleeding players off until game changes (F2P, Pay for advantage, PVE focus) manage to bring in new customers.

To quote them prior to kickstarter:

WHERE DID WE GO WRONG?

11 minutes ago, pamintandrei said:

Devs don't want to touch this thread with a 10foot pole.

That's not a bad thing. It would take quite an extreme effort to not say something that they might be sorry after. Let them cool down after swallowing the burning coal they've cooked personally and we will get answers :)

Edited by KDSProm

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

Pann: Blair, can I see that blog for a sec?

Huh. That's odd.

I thought that would be big news.

Blair: What would be big news?

Pann: Well, there seems to be an absence of a certain ornithological piece.

A headline regarding mass awareness of a certain avian variety.

Blair: What are you talking about?

Pann: Oh, have you not heard?

It was my understanding that everyone had heard.

Blair: Heard what?

Todd: Don't!

Pann: A- well-a bird, bird, bird B- Bird is the word A- well-a bird, bird, bird B- Bird is the word A- well-a bird, bird, bird B- Bird is the word A- well-a bird, bird, bird B- Bird is the word Blair, don't you know about the bird?

7 hours ago, lordslime said:

Here is my take on what a Dev Diary should be just a bunch of pictures of what's to comeExperimentation_1.webp

Experimentation_2.webp

ItemCosmetics.webp

Take a look at what the cliffs will look like for 5.110: https://aaronhamiltonartist.com/world-cliff Aaron Hamilton is a environment Artist for Crowfall

Wait, you mean to tell me they shared this stuff online but won't make a blog post about it? Maybe I am not paying enough attention but I have never seen any of these and they look amazing. 

5 hours ago, Zastier said:

Wait, you mean to tell me they shared this stuff online but won't make a blog post about it? Maybe I am not paying enough attention but I have never seen any of these and they look amazing. 

Yes, exactly that.

On 2/14/2020 at 1:59 AM, Frykka said:

Between may and novemenber of 2017 we got :
-Passive powers article
- the live-test split with live being 24/7
-an article about monsters ai
-an article about the change in parcel structures,

-THE FIRST EVER CAMPAIGN
-A new cinematic from gamescom,
-THE RACE CLASS SPLIT article
-Action harvesting,

-New UI on the char sheet.
AND i didn't even watch the q&a streams because i don't have that kind of time.So I WOULD LOVE to have a dry spell like may - novemenber 2017 . @Ace PLEASE GIVE US A DRY SPELL LIKE 2017.

Edited by pamintandrei

On 2/14/2020 at 1:59 AM, Frykka said:

If you want to compare what we have now with anything from before, 5.7->5.8 would be a comparison and that had September - November silence period so 3 months.But 5.10-5.11 its been September - February for now. I think you can see the difference.And people remember the 5.7->5.8 for MONSTER MONTH.

On 2/13/2020 at 5:59 PM, Frykka said:

Can’t we all agree that any of these long periods of silence equally suck and are bad for the community? 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

17 hours ago, Zastier said:

To be fair, it’s portfolio stuff. I think it’s silly to berate the devs for showing their work on their portfolio. The cliffs look nice and all, but it’d be at the same level as this aracoix knight article, imo. 

50 minutes ago, ThunderWar said:

To be fair, it’s portfolio stuff. I think it’s silly to berate the devs for showing their work on their portfolio. The cliffs look nice and all, but it’d be at the same level as this aracoix knight article, imo. 

How was their comment berating them? Appeared they were suggesting that their work is better then what they are actually giving us through the main news channel. Pics of upcoming UI changes and world upgrades are more interesting then aracoix to me by far. Mindless AI can now use a sword instead of a dagger? Sorry not impressed.

6 minutes ago, APE said:

How was their comment berating them? Appeared they were suggesting that their work is better then what they are actually giving us through the main news channel. Pics of upcoming UI changes and world upgrades are more interesting then aracoix to me by far. Mindless AI can now use a sword instead of a dagger? Sorry not impressed.

Maybe I misinterpreted what they were saying, but it came off to me as saying, “How dare the devs post this elsewhere but not here”. Berate was probably too strong a word to use, I apologize for that.