Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
SleepyRogue

Is Crowfall Next?

Ashes of Creation devolving into a Battle Royale, trouble with Chronicles of Elyria, and just recently Camelot Unchained doing an "Ashes of Creation" move by working on a second game before the first one is even finished...not looking good for these Kickstarter MMOs.

Will Crowfall be next?

6 minutes ago, SleepyRogue said:

Ashes of Creation devolving into a Battle Royale, trouble with Chronicles of Elyria, and just recently Camelot Unchained doing an "Ashes of Creation" move by working on a second game before the first one is even finished...not looking good for these Kickstarter MMOs.

Will Crowfall be next?

I've been following MMOS for 20 years. None of the titles you mentioned I've backed because none of those devs looked like they know what they are talking about. I did back Star Citizen and 2 years ago I got my money back because I can't play FPS games (I get dizzy) otherwise I still think it has chances.

I did back Crowfall from day one as almost every single idea I heard from the devs I was in agreement with. I still am to this day, not with all ideas but with most.

Can it fail? Absolutely! Do I think it will fail? If performance can deliver 150 people fighting at a decent framerate then it will be a success.

Will I like every single feature? Doubtfully. Will I Play it? Absolutely.

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.org

9 minutes ago, KDSProm said:

Can it fail? Absolutely! Do I think it will fail? If performance can deliver 150 people fighting at a decent framerate then it will be a success.

If enough folks consider a slideshow to be decent framerate. Luckily ACE has foreseen this issue and started shifting this game to PvE since that crowd will tolerate low performance more then PvP players. 

1 minute ago, mystafyi said:

If enough folks consider a slideshow to be decent framerate. Luckily ACE has foreseen this issue and started shifting this game to PvE since that crowd will tolerate low performance more then PvP players. 

Inb4 pvp toggle in dregs.

13 minutes ago, SleepyRogue said:

How do you get Dizzy from playing FPS games?

I don't know, I just do up to the point of being sick to my stomach and headaches that last for hours. Also playing MMO's first person I get the same. I could play darkfall though but once I had to go into structures - was game over. 

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS

2 hours ago, pamintandrei said:

Maybe,they haven't really talked to us in 6 months and there have been job postings for a mobile game.So a hard MAYBE is the answer.

It's no secret that they plan to make another game, but Crowfall is the priority. If it isn't successful, getting another game made will be a whole lot harder.

4 hours ago, KDSProm said:

I've been following MMOS for 20 years. None of the titles you mentioned I've backed because none of those devs looked like they know what they are talking about. I did back Star Citizen and 2 years ago I got my money back because I can't play FPS games (I get dizzy) otherwise I still think it has chances.

I've backed both CU and AoC without regret. Same goes for Crowfall despite how critical I am.

MJ from Camelot Unchained knows what he is talking about and DAoC was a better product objectively then Shadowbane, not accounting for personal feature preference. WAR was good as well and did things that even big games later copied, much like RvR from DAoC. Unfortunately the typical MMO overlord drama of rushing games out messed things up. CU's engine is next-gen from what I've experienced and seen, Unity and ACE's backend pale in comparison currently. However, CU is a long ways off and their hyped up long list of features might never see the light of day. 

Ashes is headed by a guy that took the "if you can do better, make a game yourself" that gamers love to throw at people with opinions. He had the means and SOE/Daybreak have laid off a lot of people in San Diego. The progress they've made compared to CU/CF and others is impressive if people can take a step back from the Battle Royale and Cosmetic things. I imagine it will turn out to be a decent PVE/PVP game eventually. Likely be the most visually appealing of the games coming, hopefully the content matches.

4 hours ago, KDSProm said:

I did back Crowfall from day one as almost every single idea I heard from the devs I was in agreement with. I still am to this day, not with all ideas but with most.

Will I like every single feature? Doubtfully. Will I Play it? Absolutely.

I'll play but I don't find ~150 to be decent success if beyond that the servers start melting. 5.110 will be the next test, but at some point they'll need to show the ability to operate with larger numbers on a single map, be it in the same area or not. Not sure what the current plan is for max characters per map/campaign/EK, but what they hyped and reality are quite different. A "Throne War" where only 10% of a server can show up is not impressive, at least not for a modern game.

I'm sure we would have seen a drastic change in direction long ago if that were the case. With the news of funding etc. I feel that they are keen to get Crowfall released so they can move onto other things (crowfall related or not).

5 hours ago, APE said:

I'll play but I don't find ~150 to be decent success if beyond that the servers start melting. 5.110 will be the next test, but at some point they'll need to show the ability to operate with larger numbers on a single map, be it in the same area or not. Not sure what the current plan is for max characters per map/campaign/EK, but what they hyped and reality are quite different. A "Throne War" where only 10% of a server can show up is not impressive, at least not for a modern game.

If there will be just one single objective for the whole server in the same time interval then not even 1000 will be enough. I'm hoping they will copy the campaign idea and we will get multiple objectives to be covered at the same time for a successful siege.

The chess play of info gathering and where to commit what forces - makes for such a great game.

Edited by KDSProm

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS

10 hours ago, Arkade said:

It's no secret that they plan to make another game, but Crowfall is the priority.

That would make 3 separate projects running. While I cannot say for certain if crowfall is a priority, I can simply look at past behavior and habits. Slow progress, missing timelines and release dates is telling.

1 hour ago, mystafyi said:

That would make 3 separate projects running. While I cannot say for certain if crowfall is a priority, I can simply look at past behavior and habits. Slow progress, missing timelines and release dates is telling.

If by 3 projects, you are referring to the Artisan Engine, that is on hold until after launch.

I think it's pretty obvious by their work on this milestone that Crowfall is their priority. Yeah, the game has taken longer than expected, but there are a lot of reasons to explain it that don't involve conspiracy theories. Redoing combat twice and the race/class split were among the biggest reasons. Beyond that, I'm sure there are a lot of things that they didn't anticipate. Predicting the future is really, really hard.