Find results in...

Dev Diary: Thralls in the night

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The Ancients were placeholders til we built the Thrall NPC's. Thralls are specifically for Majors, minors/exploration still come from where they currently do in 5.100. Thralls do "inhabit" the upper

@thomasblair the 15% stat bug was a great feature which helped to enhance the advantage of having better crafted vessels. I was very much looking forward to seeing Orange Banshee discs provide 4.35% E

Currently, you can get soul gems and essences from harvesting (and killing Ancients). Are Thralls specifically for Major Disciplines? Do I need to hunt down the Runecrafter and the Foreman if I want to craft the RuneCrafter Major Discipline and Foreman Harvesting Discipline, or will those continue to drop from harvesting? (And what about socketing Thralls into crafting tables that was concepted oh so long ago?)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

This looks great! I have a few questions:

1. Did you remove the ability to upgrade discs from white to green to blue to purple to orange?  
  2. Will higher rank thralls drop higher quality disciplines or do they all still drop blue quality and we have to upgrade to purple/orange? For example, R10 = orange, R9 = purple, and so on. 
Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

The article says:

The Crows offer a deal: the Thrall can enter the service of the gods by way of the Crow, acting as craftsmen and spectral guardians for a certain period of time. 

Will this be part of 5.110? Will we be able to capture thralls and have them serve as guards? Will we be able to add them to crafting stations to give them added benefits?

6 minutes ago, blazzen said:

1. Did you remove the ability to upgrade discs from white to green to blue to purple to orange?  

Per the article:

Disciplines better than uncommon (green) quality must be crafted by one of the crafting professions of Crowfall, the Runecrafter.

So you can upgrade white -> green, but gotta craft the rest

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

2 weeks in a row With no fluff.  Good to see some community outrage move you guys in the right direction.  

Also, good post. 

40 minutes ago, Andius said:

W/HoA were held up as like these mystical forces of highly skilled players with legendary theorycrafters chained to a desk in some deep dungeon holding all the arcane secrets we could use to win if only we knew them.

wiDfyPp.png

17 minutes ago, coolster50 said:

Do I need to hunt down the Runecrafter and the Foreman if I want to craft the RuneCrafter Major Discipline and Foreman Harvesting Discipline, or will those continue to drop from harvesting?

In 5.100, Crafting souls don't drop from anything, the only route to those is merging vendor commons.

Will that still be the case in 5.110, or will crafting AND harvesting souls come from harvesting, or will crafting and/or harvesting souls come from thralls?

Also will upgraded majors get a % benefit from being crafted? Currently crafting a blue major disc gets a +15% boost to bases stats. Will that be a thing? Will % be based on color, crafter skill? Or no benefit just forced PVE to collect appropriate souls? To make orange major disc or heck even a blue require multiple souls or will crafter skill come into play like other professions, they would just need appropriate soul (one) make blue, purple and orange?

1 hour ago, coolster50 said:

Currently, you can get soul gems and essences from harvesting (and killing Ancients). Are Thralls specifically for Major Disciplines? Do I need to hunt down the Runecrafter and the Foreman if I want to craft the RuneCrafter Major Discipline and Foreman Harvesting Discipline, or will those continue to drop from harvesting? (And what about socketing Thralls into crafting tables that was concepted oh so long ago?)

The Ancients were placeholders til we built the Thrall NPC's. Thralls are specifically for Majors, minors/exploration still come from where they currently do in 5.100.
Thralls do "inhabit" the upper end stations in .110.

1 hour ago, starrshipcs said:

Does this mean white discs will be available for easy purchase in perpetuity or will that go away prior to launch?

White Disciplines will continue to be available from vendors in .110 as they are intended for people to try out builds and experiment.

1 hour ago, blazzen said:

2. Will higher rank thralls drop higher quality disciplines or do they all still drop blue quality and we have to upgrade to purple/orange? For example, R10 = orange, R9 = purple, and so on. 

Yes you can no longer upgrade White quality vendor disciplines via the combine mechanic.
Thralls all drop Blue quality and you combine multiples of 3 disciplines / 3 essences for upgrade stages.

44 minutes ago, VaMei said:

In 5.100, Crafting souls don't drop from anything, the only route to those is merging vendor commons.

Will that still be the case in 5.110, or will crafting AND harvesting souls come from harvesting, or will crafting and/or harvesting souls come from thralls?

Pretty sure I saw The Blacksmith thrall running around!  Harvesting soul gems will continue to come from harvesting.

11 minutes ago, Goonii said:

Also will upgraded majors get a % benefit from being crafted? Currently crafting a blue major disc gets a +15% boost to bases stats. Will that be a thing? Will % be based on color, crafter skill? Or no benefit just forced PVE to collect appropriate souls? To make orange major disc or heck even a blue require multiple souls or will crafter skill come into play like other professions, they would just need appropriate soul (one) make blue, purple and orange?

The +15% is a bug that exists in .100 that has already been fixed for .110.

You threw this out there as kind of a snide remark and I want to drill down into it for a second; "Or no benefit just forced PVE to collect appropriate souls?"

Understand that almost all of the content activities we put in game are there to pull and push players into areas where they can encounter other players. For example the purpose in having items on vendors that cost lots of gold is to make players gather gold. The most lucrative places to gather gold are from level 30 NPC's or selling crafted goods to players. In order to get to level 30 NPC's or decent resources, players need to head out into a world that has limited amount of NPC's and resources. Players sitting in a level 30 adventure area either drove off other players or are going to get jumped by other players at some point.

Having players always wanting and on the lookout for Thralls (because it takes multiple soul gems to upgrade past rare quality, all Thralls should always have value to everyone) is going to create a window of time (night) where people are out in the world looking for Thralls. This gets people out of the bases, and creates opportunity for PvP.

You are going to see that with most of the .110 content now that we have the tools and the zones to support it!

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

17 minutes ago, thomasblair said:

The Ancients were placeholders til we built the Thrall NPC's. Thralls are specifically for Majors, minors/exploration still come from where they currently do in 5.100.

White Disciplines will continue to be available from vendors in .110 as they are intended for people to try out builds and experiment.

Yes you can no longer upgrade White quality vendor disciplines via the combine mechanic.
Thralls all drop Blue quality and you combine multiples of 3 disciplines / 3 essences for upgrade stages.

Pretty sure I saw The Blacksmith thrall running around!  Harvesting soul gems will continue to come from harvesting.

The +15% is a bug that exists in .100 that has already been fixed for .110.

You threw this out there as kind of a snide remark and I want to drill down into it for a second; "Or no benefit just forced PVE to collect appropriate souls?"

Understand that almost all of the content activities we put in game are there to pull and push players into areas where they can encounter other players. For example the purpose in having items on vendors that cost lots of gold is to make players gather gold. The most lucrative places to gather gold are from level 30 NPC's or selling crafted goods to players. In order to get to level 30 NPC's or decent resources, players need to head out into a world that has limited amount of NPC's and resources. Players sitting in a level 30 adventure area either drove off other players or are going to get jumped by other players at some point.

Having players always wanting and on the lookout for Thralls (because it takes multiple soul gems to upgrade past rare quality, all Thralls should always have value to everyone) is going to create a window of time (night) where people are out in the world looking for Thralls. This gets people out of the bases, and creates opportunity for PvP.

You are going to see that with most of the .110 content now that we have the tools and the zones to support it!

Not sure if you're aware but dust and chaos embers are worth more than gold, which we can farm at our own leisure in GR, infected and EKs, this doesn't pull or push people into areas they can encounter other players.

Will minor/exploration discs have a thrall mechanic in the future? Or will we be getting carpal-tunnel buying 100s of minors from a vendor that sells them one by one? Or will bulk buying be a thing? 

Edited by yianni

@thomasblair the 15% stat bug was a great feature which helped to enhance the advantage of having better crafted vessels. I was very much looking forward to seeing Orange Banshee discs provide 4.35% Elemental Pen vs the 3.45% of Blue and 3% of White. I think most folks actually appreciated that bug.

Random thought :P
What if you had the ability to merge two major disaplines together and you will get 4 randomised from the merged Disaplines, Could make some strange builds this way is a little RNG on getting the skill you want but i think it should be hard to do :P

Veeshan Midst of UXA

30 minutes ago, thomasblair said:

Awesome! Is there a different mechanic to capture thralls for this purpose (or for the purpose of making them guards), or do we just have to defeat the thrall in combat?

Edit: Also, can these upper end stations be placed in EKs?

Edited by Arkade
34 minutes ago, Arkade said:

Awesome! Is there a different mechanic to capture thralls for this purpose (or for the purpose of making them guards), or do we just have to defeat the thrall in combat?

Edit: Also, can these upper end stations be placed in EKs?

Pretty sure he means the thrall buffs we get today