Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Dev Diary: Thralls in the night

Recommended Posts

48 minutes ago, yianni said:

Pretty sure he means the thrall buffs we get today

I'm half-sure he's alluding to some City Building feature that "upgrades" crafting stations


giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In re-reading the news article...it says that Bosses have a 100% chance to drop the correct Major (matching the name of the Boss). That seems to imply that minions have a lower percentage chance of dropping a major. Is that correct? What will Minions drop? Majors? Minors? Crafting Discs? Harvesting Discs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gradishar said:

In re-reading the news article...it says that Bosses have a 100% chance to drop the correct Major (matching the name of the Boss). That seems to imply that minions have a lower percentage chance of dropping a major. Is that correct? What will Minions drop? Majors? Minors? Crafting Discs? Harvesting Discs?

I think minions will work as mobs do now. They’ll have a small chance to drop a soul essence but it’ll be random. Kinds like you can get soul of the blade master or soul of the knife grinder if you kill enough cats. 


giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thomasblair said:

Having players always wanting and on the lookout for Thralls (because it takes multiple soul gems to upgrade past rare quality, all Thralls should always have value to everyone) is going to create a window of time (night) where people are out in the world looking for Thralls. This gets people out of the bases, and creates opportunity for PvP.

 

11 hours ago, thomasblair said:

Yes you can no longer upgrade White quality vendor disciplines via the combine mechanic.
Thralls all drop Blue quality and you combine multiples of 3 disciplines / 3 essences for upgrade stages.

Even though I was against discipline upgrading I do understand and agree with the value of getting people out in the world to create conflict. 

Are there going to be different level/rank thralls or will they all be level 30? 

If there are going to be different rank/level thralls how do you differentiate their drops if you only have blue quality disciplines to work with? Do higher rank/level thralls drop more disciplines than lower rank ones? Do they have a higher probability to drop discs? Why hunt higher/level rank thralls if all thralls drop blue disciplines? 

If 3x blues = 1 purple, and 3x purples = 1 orange (or essentially 9 blues = 1 orange) could you accomplish the same amount of "replay" factor to get people out in the world hunting disciplines by changing the drop %'s in the loot tables? 

For example, you could have a 8% chance for orange, a 23% chance for purple (roughly 3x the chance for orange), and a 69% chance for blue (roughly 9x the chance for orange). At that point have you accomplished the same thing while also giving yourself more room to differentiate between different ranks/levels of thralls by adjusting these drop percentages? What if you allowed upgrading from blue to purple to orange alongside dropping different quality disciplines so you could both maintain value of lower level thralls while also giving yourself more room to differentiate higher level thralls? 

 

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, blazzen said:

For example, you could have a 8% chance for orange, a 23% chance for purple (roughly 3x the chance for orange), and a 69% chance for blue

Adding to the inventory issues again... With 30+ types of soul, having those souls stack is a big plus. do we want to deal with something on the order of 100 unique souls to manage?

Giving a high tier mob a chance to drop multiple blues and a lower tier a chance to drop none is nearly the same outcome without adding to the inventory nightmare.

Having tiered souls is only different in outcome if there is no upgrading and those epic and legendary souls are supposed to be ultra rare, aka exclusive.

Edited by VaMei

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, yianni said:

Will minor/exploration discs have a thrall mechanic in the future? Or will we be getting carpal-tunnel buying 100s of minors from a vendor that sells them one by one? Or will bulk buying be a thing? 

@yianni

Exploration souls are easy to farm. Just to need a soul gem tool, hit resources above rank 6 & above, and this list to know when soul drops from where and you don't have click over and over again. And the best part is they all come out blue discs when you make them.

Currently this is the list.

Rank 6+ Stone gives: Connoisseur, Villein, Foreman, & Quarryman.

Rank 6+ Ore gives: Villein, Lookout, Connoisseur, & Miner.

Rank 6+ Skinning gives: Foreman, Hoarder, Lookout, & Skinner.

Rank 6+ Graves gives: Lookout, Survivalist, Hoarder, & Grave Digger.

Rank 6+ Trees gives: Logger, Hoarder, Survivalist, & Connoisseur.

As for minor discs those are easy to farm higher quality as well. You just need to know where each one drops from which war tribe camp. The higher the rank on a war tribe you go the higher the quality of the minor disc is on the captains, chiefs, & Kings. The only thing I haven't seen yet is a lego minor disc to drop from the captains, chiefs, & Kings but purple does drop frequently on the current rank 10(soon to be rank 27-30 would be my guess) captains, chiefs, & Kings. Also I have a feeling that Thralls themselves will drop minor discs of certain quality. If you read the article again, where it says Essences & Gems, The first line states "Thralls carry a variety of items for your looting pleasure" so my theory is that they will also drop minor discs as well

Now that it only takes three to upgrade. That's even less clicking than before.

Edited by lordslime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, McTan said:

I got good vibes from this, as SB disc-hunting was one of my favorite things to do. But, I sense that the named thralls are RNG? Wasn't clear that we can expect say, the Poisoner Thrall, to spawn in the same place. Is that accurate?

While it theoretically may serve to increase the number of PvP hotspots, it only creates a very limited number of those hotspots, and doesn't encourage people to actually remain traversing the map.

 

Wartribe chieftains have the same problem at the moment. Those camps very quickly become pvp dead zones the moment someone kills the chief, and not only that, there's no messaging for players that don't know the respawn, making it even less attractive for anyone but the group that killed it the last time to hang around and wait for it to spawn.

 

Timer mob spawns are generally a piss poor way to encourage players to remain in the world as they more often than not do the exact opposite. If you know you need to kill The Elementalist, and that it spawns at exactly 9PM, you have no incentive to explore the rest of the map. You're going to hang out in a safe place until its almost spawn time, loot your mob, and return right back to that safe place. As much good as people remember about disc droppers in shadowbane this was exactly what went down. You showed up, maybe got in a fight, and recalled immediately back to town, all PvP was either banes or fighting over farming spots. There was no real roaming outside of "lets stop making income and go screw with their guys farming" That's terrible overall, but ESPECIALLY terrible in crowfall, where the reshuffling of the map is such a big part of the game. You should want to be roaming and getting in to fights with other people roaming in stead of a constant situation of either farming or trying to gank farmers. Farming and ganking is all good fun, but its not exactly the most engaging form of PvP, and TBH its gets pretty boring after the first week or so of learning where all the good spots are. Starts to feel like a treadmill of running the same steps to the same handful of locations to find someone to ganks because there's literally no point in travelling the other 90% of the map.

We already have scheduled PvP events in the form of structure fights. We don't also need everything else in the game to be a scheduled fight.

 

What I want to know is if Thralls spawn in hunger afflicted areas, or in areas that are ABOUT to become hunger afflicted, does killing hunger crystals effectively also cut the number of potential thrall spawns?

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will the Thralls be randomly placed, or will they have a set location, like Shadowbane did? On the one hand, having a set location is nice, but it definitely favors larger, better equipped guilds who can camp and defend certain spawn locations. Random spawn points I think will give more guilds a chance. However, you could give Thralls a better chance of spawning in certain places, just not guaranteed. For example, having the crafting Thralls have a higher potential to spawn in some of the deserted towns in the worlds would be pretty cool. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

does killing hunger crystals effectively also cut the number of potential thrall spawns?

I could be completely wrong on this, but from my observation killing a hunger crystal just causes it to respawn somewhere else at midnight. It seems like you can move them around, but you can't actually get rid of them.

Otoh, you can get rid of all the high rank crystals by cherry picking the good ones & leaving the bad ones for someone else to deal with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

"While it theoretically may serve to increase the number of PvP hotspots, it only creates a very limited number of those hotspots, and doesn't encourage people to actually remain traversing the map."

Not at all what I got from this.
 

Quote

Dense collections of Thralls appear randomly in Hunger-infested areas and can only be found at night.

Not sure if your aware, but the spawn routine of hunger crystals has them appear in semi random, regular locations, when night starts, on a given map. 

You might find a "new" spawn as the seasons progress, in places you looked before, so yes, there is a reason to traverse the map. Also, you will want to knock over that hunger crystal when they show up, so once that has happened, future players that don't know that is a hunger spawn location, will have the fun of discovering a "new" one the first time they come across it un-harvested.

PvP will come as players figure out where they "may" show up on a given night, and just bump into each other trying to figure out a circuit for themselves. 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every kill of the lesser mobs should hasten the respawn of boss mobs.

If a king has a 4 hour respawn timer. Then each chief kill should lessen that time by 10 minutes or so. 

Each kill of a sergeant Should lessen the respawn of a chief my 5 minutes.

Each kill of an elite should lessen the respawn of a sergeant by 2 minutes. 

Burning different buildings in the warcamp should have different trait effects on the mobs in the area. 
Burn the grainery tent and the mobs get a hungry trait. + 15 yards to aggro range.
Having a build lookout tower nearby should also increase aggro range. Burn it to remove the buff. 
Every building should have positive and negative effects for the wartribes. 

It should be modular and dynamic.

Edited by srathor
fixed bad spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, coolster50 said:

I think minions will work as mobs do now. They’ll have a small chance to drop a soul essence but it’ll be random. Kinds like you can get soul of the blade master or soul of the knife grinder if you kill enough cats. 

I hope not. People should need to go to Campaigns to farm for high quality disciplines.


IhhQKY6.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope that in addition to 
 

Quote

Thralls may also precede the appearance of a Hunger crystal, signaling that the crystal will spawn in that spot sometime before dawn.  

They also add a mechanic that thralls are "released" from the crystal when you break one open/harvest, to add further incentive to knocking the hunger back.

Also, "tink tink tink" will potentially trigger PvP as other players want to 
A.) kill the harvester
B.) save the node for harvesting by themselves rather than whoever is going "tink tink tink".

Might even be a great place for some audio that sounds like trapped/tormented thrall souls inside the crystals. Don't get me wrong, the current sounds are pretty awesome/oppressive, but shrieks of the soon to be dammed/consumed would be way cool.

 

Edited by KrakkenSmacken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, srathor said:

Each kill of a sargent Should lessen the respawn of a chief my 5 minutes.

Just to clarify, I believe sargent (sergeant) = (mob) captain in the current build.  

The overall concept would certainly help.  Or they could just make it more random & unpredictable ... but a more structured approach such as mentioned with benefits to basically slaughtering more of the tribe as a whole than just a chief/king (and moving on) is intriguing.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So read thru posts after my post. My understanding....

1) Can anyone craft a blue, epic or lego major disc? Is there a need for dedicated crafter ( someone that bought an extra account to focus on it...) What if any benefits is there for Runemaking passives trained up that apply to Major Discs crafting?

3) Re-read everything again. To make a blue major disc requires 3 blue souls 3 soul essence.....make a purple requires 6 blue souls 6 soul essence, Lego is 9 blue souls and 9 essence? Since it is said thralls only drop blue souls?

 

Edited by Goonii

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Goonii said:

So read thru posts after my post. My understanding....

1) Can anyone craft a blue, epic or lego major disc? Is there a need for dedicated crafter ( someone that bought an extra account to focus on it...) What if any benefits is there for Runemaking passives trained up that apply to Major Discs crafting?

3) Re-read everything again. To make a blue major disc requires 3 blue souls 3 soul essence.....make a purple requires 6 blue souls 6 soul essence, Lego is 9 blue souls and 9 essence? Since it is said thralls only drop blue souls?

 

@Goonii

Currently anyone can make the blue disc for the current build we are in 5.100 I don't know if anything is changing in 5.110 for that rule but my guess would be a hard no on needing a dedicated crafter for major discs but if someone did buy a extra account maybe that person could use that account as a storage unit for all the souls that they farm since their is quite a few of them to hold 😁

1 Blue Disc = 1 Blue Soul & 2 Soul Essences plus some stone, blood, paper, Aurelium, Silver, & Ethereal Dust for each disc made

1 Purple Disc = 3 Blue Souls & 9 Soul Essences (6 for crafting the blue discs & 3 for upgrading) plus some stone, blood, paper, Aurelium, Silver, & Ethereal Dust for each disc made

1 Legendary Disc = 9 Blue Souls & 30 Soul Essences (18 for crafting the blue discs & 12 for upgrading) since you are upgrading 4 times that's why you need 12 for upgrading plus some stone, blood, paper, Aurelium, Silver, & Ethereal Dust for each disc made

Edited by lordslime

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...