• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Poll: To Lore or Not to Lore?

Poll: How important is lore?  

84 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. In a video game, does storyline matter to you? Why or why not?

• Yes, lore and story arcs enrich the game.
    • No, just tell me where to go and who to kill.

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/03/2020 at 04:00 PM

It's probably a result of "doing the online gaming thing" since 1995, but I can't be bothered to read/absorb lore in these games anymore.

Yes, I like lore.

But keep it short and simple.

I'm not a guy who expects thrilling and pleasure from the text of a game, rather I'm glad of a meaning to the task I'm doing.

I'd like lore about protecting the defenceless, repaying injustice, seeking glory or revenge and so on.
More struggling tales usually have better place in books.

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

For me, it really depends on the video game. Not all games require lore or a story. But for games where you play the role of a character, I'd say it's a requirement and as important as any other piece including mechanics, gameplay loops, level design, etc. (This includes RPGs obviously, but it also applies to games where you play a specific role, like Mass Effect where you play the role of Commander Shepard or Tomb Raider where you play the role of Lara Croft. Tomb Raider is only an RPG in the very loosest definition, but I can't imagine that game working if it didn't have good story/lore.)

So is it important in Crowfall, specifically? Absolutely, and honestly it's one of the things that excites me most about this game. I really love everything that has been written for it so far and can't wait to get deeper dives into it as more of the game comes online.

I don't really care if the storyline is presented to me in a bunch of quest text windows that I'm not going to read while I level as fast as possible. Finding a good way of presenting the Lore is key. Item descriptions, visual storytelling, and lore books as item drops are a great way of giving the people who care about lore and story a little nod.

Shadowbane - House Avari/Hy'shen
"Gimp elves get good elves killed." - Belina

Avari Discord - https://discord.gg/Bch24PV

6 hours ago, Chazzoid said:

Storyline matters but the players are telling the story in this game (ideally). Don't waste resources on lore.  Gameplay first.

Ideally that is the sandbox philosophy however players needs some hint and direction at the beginning.

One example I can think of is when you sell you real world house. The realtor will tell you that a staged house (furnished) sell much easier than an empty house. It helps the buyer picture how the house can be used. I reality when the buyer purchase the house they will rip out the carpet, repaint the wall and arrange the room differently.

Sandbox is great but require maturity and build up. Most of the sandbox game never reached that point and goes to decline.

Absolutely no issue for me to have introductory lore and quest that will help me know the game, build up the mood, and know the community. Once I have 100+ hours of game play, I will not need lore or quest . The training wheels can come off the bike. I will create my own stories.

I feel like good lore enriches a game, even when you pay no attention to it. It ties things together. Random fantasy elements thrown together without vision are never as satisfying as when they are put together cohesively.

IhhQKY6.gif

2 hours ago, soulein said:

I don't really care if the storyline is presented to me in a bunch of quest text windows that I'm not going to read while I level as fast as possible. Finding a good way of presenting the Lore is key. Item descriptions, visual storytelling, and lore books as item drops are a great way of giving the people who care about lore and story a little nod.

This.... I really actually get annoyed with a whole bunch of dialog boxes to click through while leveling. I have never really read a story in all my years of gaming..

I know some people really enjoy it though, so having it in the background for those who want to read it would be awesome