Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Pann

Poll: Crafting for good or profit?

Crafting for good or profit?  

53 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. As a crafter, do you provide services free with provided mats or "no gold, no goods"

• Free with mats
    • No gold, no goods

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/08/2020 at 10:00 PM

Posted (edited)

I fought the fight before & I'll probably fight it again, but gold needs value before we can have a real economy.

It needs to be common enough that anyone can get some, rare enough that no one can just sit on a fountain & gather it by the bucketful, and useful enough that everyone wants more.

Having the vendors buy useless junk badly undercut the value of gold.

IMO, the junk vendors need to go, safe gold farming needs to go (officers in non-PvP zones), and the NPC vendors need to sell pretty much any mats we could want to buy, at prices we should be happy to undercut.

Edited by VaMei

Posted (edited)

As a general rule, I feel crafters should be paid for their time and expertise, even if providing the mats, and I don't feel it should be optional except at the crafters' indvidual discretion (hence why I chose the "no gold, no goods" option). There are always exceptions, of course (discounts and freebies are common for repeat customers to build up the relationship, and of course crafting for the guild is basically like crafting for yourself so charging doesn't make sense there either.), but having done crafting a lot throughout the years, I've found that leaving it to a "tips only" policy will result in being frequently taken advantage of.

This might be fine if you have the time to burn or just don't care that much about it, but if it's your in-game livelihood, you should be fairly compensated for your work (especially in this game, where being a good crafter requires player knowledge and character skill with significant time investment). Most folks understand this and even in a tips only situation, will pay you fairly for the work. But there are always those who are too happy to just take and run; stand up for yourself and value yourself and don't expect others to do it for you.

Edit: Oh, and I took gold to mean "compensation"; I don't think many people care about gold specifically at this point, but I made an educated guess that the polling question was just referring to compensation, not gold specifically.

Edited by Telonos

Posted (edited)

Internally we have a logistics system, as long as people turn in useful mats or have good attendance to organized activities we keep them equipped to the best of our ability. Extra stuff we will usually do for free if they bring the mats. Will often extend that to friends/allies as long as we have the time.

Crafting for random folks we will charge something though it’s never gold. Embers, dust, or mats. Gold itself is worthless.

Edited by Duffy

lPoLZtm.png

I think the most valuable point in this thread is that gold is not a viable currency, but it should be.  I think adding end game gold sinks, that change from campaign to campaign, or over time would make it a viable solution (skins could work well for this, other aesthetics, maybe formulating your p2w structure like EVE online's).

There needs to be one standard currency and it should also drop from mobs, right now someone who has no interesting in harvesting or crafting (or a harvester who hasn't played the game for 2 years and find themselves in fall/winter) will not have a viable method of acquiring wealth.

I usually craft for a small dust profit if people have the materials. Right now with a wipe eminent I have been willing to craft with mats at a 0 profit. This is because I feel that with a wipe coming making connections is more valuable than in game currency.