Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Helix

Should NA/EU/CN/etc be segregated (ip blocked)?

IP Block?  

183 members have voted

1. 1. Should the NA/EU/CN/OC guilds be forced to play on their own servers by IP Block?

• Yes, the game will be zergy enough without them.
    • No, I've got friends I want to play with.

Guess the games you've tried out in launches didn't go the way you expected. All the game I've tried out that went live went very well from what I know when I've gone back to check up on them.

Sounds like you have very limited mmo experience... since most MMOs fail.... and the ones you've tried went very well...

Edited by michaelflatley

Sounds like you have very limited mmo experience... since most MMOs fail.... and the ones you've tried went very well...

Throttle back the try-hard mode, dude. We get it.

I just don't agree with his point of view at all, he has to look at it as you gotta take risks.

But back to the subject.Segregation by force is just wrong even for a game, I hate hate the idea of 'You're not American so you can't play on this server' oh well who koo-koo-ka-choo you think you are telling me what server I can play on? Having 1 main server will save the company so much trouble but if they're going to make regional servers they better make them optional...

I just don't agree with his point of view at all, he has to look at it as you gotta take risks.

But back to the subject.Segregation by force is just wrong even for a game, I hate hate the idea of 'You're not American so you can't play on this server' oh well who koo-koo-ka-choo you think you are telling me what server I can play on? Having 1 main server will save the company so much trouble but if they're going to make regional servers they better make them optional...

1 main server is stupid for any game... latency will always matter in games and you want your games localized for every important region...

You don't like the idea of segregation because it isn't politically correct... but logistically the needs of the many (worthwhile customers) outweigh the needs of the few (random guy in some random region that wants to play on another region, but by allowing him to do so you open the floodgates for all the shady elements that come from other regions as well)

The only reasonable research that I have found says that countries that cheat the most are Denmark,Sweden, Norway and Germany, based on Steam data.

"Figure 6 shows the fraction of cheaters in the populations for the twelve countries com- prising the union of the top ten user populations and the top ten cheater populations. The figure shows that cheaters are vastly overrepresented in some locations. For example, there are about 55,000 cheaters in the Nordic European countries (12.4% of the playing population of the region), while there are about 39,000 cheaters (3.9%) in the US. These regional di↵erences become more striking when taking real-world population into account. In particular, we found enough Steam profiles to account for nearly 2.5% of Denmark’s 5.5 million residents, of which cheaters account for nearly 0.5% of Denmark’s population."

The list is Denmark, Norway, Sweden,Germany, France, Poland, Russia, Australia, Brazil, Canada, USA, UK. I guess China and Korea are not on the list because Steam is not there. Still 2 out of 3 countries you named, I.e. Russia and Brazil are not even in the top 6.

You like playing with 200ms+ ping from nz to a Dallas data centre?

You like playing with 200ms+ ping from nz to a Dallas data centre?

Apparently you didn't read my previous post, I can go onto a NY server with my new internet here and have a good solid 70-75ms on minecraft and LoL so I got no problem with doing Dallas servers. IMO it would prob be 60-80ms for my position anyway. The only thing that REALLY makes ping a center of the game is if it relies on mana regeneration by auto attacks. So an easy way to get around that is make it have natural mana regeneration overtime. Having a 2 second delay on a power being casted isn't going to be a big deal.

Apparently you didn't read my previous post, I can go onto a NY server with my new internet here and have a good solid 70-75ms on minecraft and LoL so I got no problem with doing Dallas servers. IMO it would prob be 60-80ms for my position anyway. The only thing that REALLY makes ping a center of the game is if it relies on mana regeneration by auto attacks. So an easy way to get around that is make it have natural mana regeneration overtime. Having a 2 second delay on a power being casted isn't going to be a big deal.

those ping numbers don't really make sense, sorry

and mana regen on what?! absolutely irrelevant

those ping numbers don't really make sense, sorry

and mana regen on what?! absolutely irrelevant

Ultra-Fiber is extremely good here where I live. 

And lets be honest if there is going to be magic into this system there will be needed a mana system or something like that. If not, then ping wont affect gameplay much.

That's nice for you, but what about the rest of the oceanic community that doesn't have access to ultra-five (btw I hear internet is expensive as custard down there). Global servers have been fail speaking from experience, especially when you throw pvp in to the mix.

That's nice for you, but what about the rest of the oceanic community that doesn't have access to ultra-five (btw I hear internet is expensive as **** down there). Global servers have been fail speaking from experience, especially when you throw pvp in to the mix.

Let them choose what server they will play on.

That's nice for you, but what about the rest of the oceanic community that doesn't have access to ultra-five (btw I hear internet is expensive as **** down there). Global servers have been fail speaking from experience, especially when you throw pvp in to the mix.

Like Rajah said, we should have the choice to play the game or not. We shouldn't be forced to play in an Asian server just because of internet, if we have friends in the US servers that we want to play with then why should anyone have the right to tell us (There game or not) that we can't play it? It comes down to that. It should be our choice, not enforced. It seems only the US players want to have separate servers. We get that you SB had a bad experience but hey, give it another shot. Stop bringing up the same old 'but the NC's did it!' ok we get that but barely any get access to the game anyway just because of how there countries run over there. Most of them will get it through hacking past the system that blocks them from joining anyway. And that's the group you're trying to get rid of. If they gotta hack there way in, of course they'll cause trouble. Because they had to deal with being separated and might wanna teach you a lesson.

Don't get me wrong, I understand the concern - You just want to curb the problem before it arises, I say there isn't a problem until there's a problem.

As a businessman, I could't justify cutting my potential gross profits at launch by 20% the stave off "potentially" detrimental player activity down the line. The company is small, it's a start-up and (I'm guessing) doesn't have the time or liquidity to ignore that 20% at live.

its strategic planning and factoring contingencies.

The value of a CN contingent is the embodiment of diminishing returns in regards to both gameplay and revenue generation. 

My guess is that CN would have a greatly negative effect on both the enjoyment of "paying" customers and prove a net negative on revenue through hacking botting, and asset selling.

If this hurts anyone's sensibilities, I frankly do not care; a duck is a duck.

So, as a businessman, I must respectfully disagree.  When you factor a marginal return or a possible net negative juxtaposed with the chaos created, its a poor decision to allow them in financially.

The problem that CN causes is they were beatable. Zerg vs zerg. The problem this presented is that it stagnated the game and removed a lot of the fun.

Fighting multiple groups with different strengths/weaknesses and strategies is fun. Zerg on zerg against the same people day in day out is not fun.

I'm hoping they have a design strategy to prevent this from happening. How? No idea. Their problem to work out.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

its strategic planning and factoring contingencies.

The value of a CN contingent is the embodiment of diminishing returns in regards to both gameplay and revenue generation. 

My guess is that CN would have a greatly negative effect on both the enjoyment of "paying" customers and prove a net negative on revenue through hacking botting, and asset selling.

If this hurts anyone's sensibilities, I frankly do not care; a duck is a duck.

So, as a businessman, I must respectfully disagree.  When you factor a marginal return or a possible net negative juxtaposed with the chaos created, its a poor decision to allow them in financially.

If it's sub b2p or sub based CN will not cause much fuss except for bots but even if there was no CN there would still be people making bot systems, etc. Removing CN could be a decrease but what's the point of banning the fair playing players from those regions because of hackers? Guess what there will always be hackers. Also if it's a b2p/p2p system they would need to pay to hack so they still make money. So actually they LOSE money not allowing them in either. Plus if they catch them (Hopefully they'll make active mods) then you slowly but surely both gain money+player base and remove the hackers. 

back to the main point, at this time for a game that is the core of a company I would not FORCE segregated servers. Segregated servers is the companies choice but they should NEVER force it. 

If it's sub b2p or sub based CN will not cause much fuss except for bots but even if there was no CN there would still be people making bot systems, etc. Removing CN could be a decrease but what's the point of banning the fair playing players from those regions because of hackers? Guess what there will always be hackers. Also if it's a b2p/p2p system they would need to pay to hack so they still make money. So actually they LOSE money not allowing them in either. Plus if they catch them (Hopefully they'll make active mods) then you slowly but surely both gain money+player base and remove the hackers. 

back to the main point, at this time for a game that is the core of a company I would not FORCE segregated servers. Segregated servers is the companies choice but they should NEVER force it. 

goldsellers and botters do not care if there is a subscription or not; simple economics

No matter how you look at it, allowing CN is a net negative.  You will never get enough revenue to mitigate the risk.

You can keep believing if you wish.

No disrespect intended

goldsellers and botters do not care if there is a subscription or not; simple economics

No matter how you look at it, allowing CN is a net negative.  You will never get enough revenue to mitigate the risk.

You can keep believing if you wish.

No disrespect intended

Oh yeah, getting Chinese player base in your game is bad for revenue. That's genius.