Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sims

CF covid-19 impact?

Posted (edited)

Is the Crowfall development team distributed or all work from the studio in Austin? 

The Corona chaos is also presenting some opportunities to have larger QA engagement and play testing.  In general with cancellation of larger events, sports, there are more times to burn in our hand.  Many schools are closed, and some of us are told to work from  home, reduced hours,  etc.  I hope 5.11 is deployed to test environment sooner so we can use this down time. 

Edited by Sims

As far as we know, they are working to bring 5.11 to Test as soon as possible. Realising that it would be a good time to get it done won't change a thing, since they are already working at full speed.

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

Really? Aint they, like, under 100 people at best?

I get the government and stuff cancelling events where you will have thousands of people, strangers, all bundled up together. This tho seems a bit overkill.

Thanks for the concern. 

We work in an office building with other companies, so we aren't really isolated and need to take the same precautions as everyone else. Additionally, school closures and daycare closures are also having an impact on the team. So, yes, we we have moved to a WFH structure. However, everyone on the team has plenty of WFH experience, we're set up to do it efficiently and the lines of communication are super strong. The situation will not impact our development at all. (Except that we had been bringing lunches in each day for a few weeks and now half of us don't remember how to fend for our own lunches anymore. haha!)

Ya'll stay safe, too! 

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I get the government and stuff cancelling events where you will have thousands of people, strangers, all bundled up together. This tho seems a bit overkill.

I do see what you are saying, but you also need to think about the amount of people those 100 come into contact with on a daily basis. For example, if every single person goes to the gas station, coffee shop and runs a single errand like dropping off the kids at day care before heading to work, that person has now come into contact with another 5-10 individuals who have most likely done the same sort of routine themselves and now 100 of those people gather in a small environment for 8-10 hours a day before returning home and possibly a few more errands....etc. 

I'm sure you can fill in the blanks from there, which is why a virus can spread so far and fast. Add in modern day traveling for business and pleasure and I'm honestly surprised that Covid 19 is the first major outbreak of a virus we've really had in the past 20 years. At the end of the day it might be a bit overkill, but most companies will err on the side of caution even if it's just prevent future possible lawsuits, although in ACE case it's more than likely due to the companies nature. 

Edited by Sorrows
Spelling

1 hour ago, BarriaKarl said:

So with the WHO stating a 3.4% mortality rate, yea sure, lets just let 3-4 of em die to get this game out.

Also, up to 4 weeks recovery time on a serious case, at over 9% of recorded active cases currently.  If you think that WFH could cause delays, imagine what 4 weeks out for that % of staff, especially if its people responsible for clearing roadblocks that get hit.

WFH is the best plan right now for anyone that can.

Posted (edited)

But we, people, have nothing to do while we are also sitting home. Bring that 5.110 game version to the test server, we will help you out with finding bugs. I voted against it in a previous thread but now I'm 100% in! We'll work for you for free as testers. Just give it to us! Give us our precious! 😆

Edited by MikeTheBear

9 hours ago, Pann said:

(Except that we had been bringing lunches in each day for a few weeks and now half of us don't remember how to fend for our own lunches anymore. haha!)

Never underestimate investing points in cooking

19 hours ago, Sorrows said:

Add in modern day traveling for business and pleasure and I'm honestly surprised that Covid 19 is the first major outbreak of a virus we've really had in the past 20 years.

Fatality rate of major virus outbreaks worldwide in the last 50 years as of 2020

In the past 20 years, the world has had many major outbreaks of virus':

SARS (2002)

H1N1 (2009)

MERS (2012)

H7N9 Bird Flu (2013)

nCov (2020)

Fatality rate of major virus outbreaks in the last 50 years as of 2020

Among the ten major virus outbreaks in the last 50 years, Marburg ranked first in terms of the fatality rate with 80 percent. In comparison, the recent novel coronavirus, originating from the Chinese city of Wuhan, had a fatality rate of 2.2 percent as of January 31, 2020. As of early February 2020, the virus has spread to 24 countries with over 40 thousand confirmed cases.

Note the fatality rate of 2.2%

CDC statistics on Pneumonia and Influenza for 2019-2020

The percentage of deaths attributed to pneumonia and influenza is 7.1%, below the epidemic threshold of 7.3%.

The "Flu" has more than 3x the fatality rate of Covid-19,

And yet no one bats an eye at the flu. Sporting events are not canceled, lives are not disrupted, stores are not the scenes of violence as people rush to clear out the shelves in fear that there wont be enough supplies left for them later.

The media makes money off of selling fear to people who cannot or will not look at the facts for themselves. People with compromised immune systems die every single day to viruses more deadly than Covid-19. Dont get caught up in a media frenzy of fear and look at the facts for yourself. 

Numbers dont tell the whole story. 

See how people react? That tells you something. Not that they are right, but that there is something going on. Something you have to consider. 

It is not the virus .. its human nature to fear the unknown. Now we face something new and we are scared. Yes scared! 

So look at the facts, but please look at more than fancy numbers about fatality rates. 

1 hour ago, Toadwart said:

And yet no one bats an eye at the flu. 

You left out an important stat. The 25,000 people in just America alone that died to influenza this season.

5 minutes ago, 0Exon said:

Now we face something new and we are scared. Yes scared! 

Its not new, humans have had viral outbreaks like this every so often throughout history. There have been 4 outbreaks in the past 100 years, the worst of the bunch being the 1918 Spanish flu outbreak. That being said, unless one is old and has previous medical conditions its quite rare for death. I think the average age of coronavirus death in Italy is age 81. The average, and that age is well above the average life expectancy. Don't be scared, be cautious and aware. 

1 hour ago, Toadwart said:

And yet no one bats an eye at the flu. 

We've been dealing with the flu for a good while. Things like immunity, meds/treatments, and vaccines aren't perfect but help. ARDS complicates things with Covid. Symptoms being delayed with Covid means higher chance of spreading it compared to flu when people generally end up in bed faster and simply can't go out and spread it.

I work in a hospital and we are concerned about the flu every year even when the general public gives no cares. 

It isn't accurate to make comparisons at this point as the same steps/tests and general way we are dealing with Covid compared to the Flu aren't the same. It hasn't had enough time to spread and steps are being taken to decrease the spread as much as possible.

Data/Stats are a funny business. That 7% appears to be compared to total deaths (might be mistaken). Not death rate of the flu itself. If no one died of anything else between today and tomorrow except the flu, you could say the flu is responsible for 100% of deaths. A figure of 0.1% seems to be the standard number used for flu death rate for a season. So far Covid appears to be much higher, but again, it hasn't had time to spread all the way so it could potentially go up/down or stay the same. It is assumed it will go down overall. Once proper testing is wide spread and some time has passed, then we can recheck the stats. There was only handful of cases reported early this month, up to ~2500 in the US.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/preliminary-in-season-estimates.htm

As a relatively health/youngish person that takes realistic steps, I'm not worried about myself, but I sure don't want to get it and spread it to loved ones, patients, or the general public. Same goes for the flu.

People are overreacting, but not completely. If isn't just the evil media or whatever. Governments aren't locking down their people because of the media.

We've had at least 1 case in my hospital with 100s being held in quarantine near where I live. I still went out to dinner last night with my wife in a crowded restaurant.