Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
turbocarson

Should lower levels not have to fight higher levels in PvP?

250 members have voted

1. 1. Should lower levels not have to fight higher levels in PvP?

• Yes
    • No

that wont work

never has, never will

That might be possible if you were ready to pay like 200 a month to keep playing.

There's our carebear counterparts. I knew they were somewhere on these forums.

Open, unrestricted PvP certainly can work. UO is proof of that. There needs to be content available to players, and the players need to have the ability to create content themselves

Anyone who quits because the PvP is "too difficult" or "too hardcore" quits because they have soft skin. Not because the system "can't work".

Open, unrestricted PvP certainly can work. UO is proof of that. There needs to be content available to players, and the players need to have the ability to create content themselves

Anyone who quits because the PvP is "too difficult" or "too hardcore" quits because they have soft skin. Not because the system "can't work".

you missed the point...

UO worked because there were sheep... like you said, our carebear counterpart.

only wolves never works. Many games went down the drain because of that.

You do not get the whole picture.

you missed the point...

UO worked because there were sheep... like you said, our carebear counterpart.

only wolves never works. Many games went down the drain because of that.

You do not get the whole picture.

No, I know exactly what you mean.

UO worked because it didn't protect noobs. There were players in the game that did. That's what kept those players in game; it gave players a sense of having comrades, and having people who they had allegiance to because they aided them and protected them.

And then there were the players who griefed noobs for no reason; these players served as the villains and "evil" players in the game for these "good" players to hunt down and fight.

In short, the players created content that would not have been there had the game mechanics prevented those "evil" players from ganking the noobs. I'm not here advocating maxed characters camping goblin spawns; but if you remove that option, you remove a HUGE aspect of the game.

A starter area or "areas" would be nice. Perhaps even certain zones that are safe for players that want to just take a break from the possibility of being attacked. I personally don't mind being in PvP territory 24/7 but options are nice and open the game up to a larger player base.  

It should be a game where a lv 1 can kill (insert highest lv) if they are that skilled.

Gear should have base stats sure. But skill should trump gear 90% of the time. 

If these are true then anyoe should be able to fight any level they choose.

Skill should be dominant over gear and levels. Also in a seamless and persistant world, you should be able to run into people with higher (skill)levels, no cut off safezones or starter territories would be my preferance.

Leader of MindlessGaming: http://mindlessgaming.eu
Group #4

Variance in character power necessary for this hypothetical should not be allowed.  While this would make the poll moot for me, I voted for the second option as it better relates to my position.

This would eliminate my concern about ganking right here.  If you take out power level disparities (or at least make them far less cavernous) that you see in so many MMOs, then my concerns about ganking evaporate.

"Darken the moon and conceal the stars; our Light will never be extinguished." - The Tome of the First Flame

LW_sig_concept_7b_lighter_zpsu0zpsinn.jp

The Lantern Watch - A Crowfall-first guild. Welcome Home. Join us @ http://crowfall.shivtr.com

Wow, this topic is taking on to many soft answers. The game is all about Play 2 crush. Anyone can kill anyone. Something that would be cool though is for a random minute chance for a "lucky roll" and the lower leveled toon does severe damage to the higher. Hell, anyone can assassinate someone if their guard is down.

Kill em all IMHO

It should be a game where a lv 1 can kill (insert highest lv) if they are that skilled.

Gear should have base stats sure. But skill should trump gear 90% of the time. 

If these are true then anyoe should be able to fight any level they choose.

Skill should be dominant over gear and levels. Also in a seamless and persistant world, you should be able to run into people with higher (skill)levels, no cut off safezones or starter territories would be my preferance.

/thread

I would rather see a game without levels in the first place. If they decide to go the level route though, I would be all for any level being able to kill any level outside of maybe a starter island where players can learn the basics. 

Wow, this topic is taking on to many soft answers. The game is all about Play 2 crush. Anyone can kill anyone. Something that would be cool though is for a random minute chance for a "lucky roll" and the lower leveled toon does severe damage to the higher. Hell, anyone can assassinate someone if their guard is down.

Kill em all IMHO

Pruebame has it correct in my opinion. As a long time player of Shadowbane I echo this sentiment. A safezone up to defined lower level, and after that the pvp should be open. This encourages the player to join a guild and to work together to accomplish goals such as getting off lowbie island and advancing in open pvp zones and further increasing their power as characters.

If this doesn't agree with your personal playstyle then perhaps there could be servers with a longer time on lowbie island or a greater emphasis on roleplaying versus pvp. The server on which I initially started Shadowbane was the unofficial roleplay server and was within the first couple of years of the start of the game probably considered less hardcore than others.

For me, Shadowbane was about multifaction open pvp warfare, group pvp dynamics, sieging, and politics. And I am hoping that is what Crowfall will be primarily be about also. That' not to say that you can't have roleplaying, quests, etc as a part of ingame lore content because I certainly think you can. And those components make the game more interesting in my opinion. If you're looking to just mainly be a solo player, you can do that, but the game shouldn't cater to that in my opinion.

The principal question is what is the game primarily about. Play to crush was the motto of Shadowbane and of course was the initial website name to register for this game. If Crowfall is to be much like Shadowbane then people will have to learn to deal with losing. In SB noone wins all the time, and how you respond to adversity determines whether you get better as a player, guildie, IC, guild leader etc., retake your cities, go quit and play on another server, another game etc.

Edited by dayel

Dayels here, there better be commanders or we'll never get him to play.

Dayel wins automatically so it really doesn't matter. In fact for all of you who don't consider yourself a PvP player you should talk to this man.

X6RBqg7.gif

Are there any levels at all in this game? I don't think so... As of what I know, the progression is skill based, not experience based. For example, you can increase your pole arm skill to 175 etc...

I think that noobies will start near the border of the Eternal Kingdoms and as they gear up and skill up, they will come closer and closer to the hunger. So, ganking noobs shouldn't be a major problem (But hey, it's a pvp environment, everyone should expect a few gankadins.) ;)

Any combat where "my numbers are bigger than yours, so I win no matter what you do" isn't worth taking part in. If Crowfall makes the mistake of having this type of combat, it will pretty much ruin the game.