Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Adrienne

How does this class work?

Recommended Posts

I can see what roles the Frostweaver can fill, but I can't tell from looking at the powers how it is supposed to work. I just don't understand the whole "ice" business. Can someone please give me a short primer on how this class is played?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Adrienne said:

I can see what roles the Frostweaver can fill, but I can't tell from looking at the powers how it is supposed to work. I just don't understand the whole "ice" business. Can someone please give me a short primer on how this class is played?

@Harzoo's video (healing)


Frostweaver powers & talents


in general, bringing the class to testers without even a 'frostweaver power reveal' / class write up article (or patch notes) from ACE is fairly poor communication, which they certainly had the time to fill.

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Basically the class revolves around dropping ice nodes onto the ground and using your abilities to convert those ice nodes into either beneficial ice for your team or harmful ice for your enemies. 

Frostweavers have an ability called "Free Weave" that allows them to place ice nodes of any kind directly without needing to use an ability to convert them. The free weave path that you choose while casting will specify which type of ice you are dropping, and each ice node that you drop using the "Ice Weave" power with that free weave buff up will reset the free weave buff. Without free weave "Ice Weave" just drops normal ice nodes that need to be converted with an ability. 

That's the basics of how the ice mechanic works but of course there are 5 different types of ice, 4 if you don't count basic ice nodes that need to be converted, so there is a lot that you can do and a lot going on. The system sounds harder on paper than it is to pick up tho imo.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tinnis said:

@Harzoo's video (healing)


Frostweaver powers & talents

 


in general, bringing the class to testers without even a 'frostweaver power reveal' / class write up article (or patch notes) from ACE is fairly poor communication, which they certainly had the time to fill.

Not so sure about that. I was in the party of my guild mates as they figure out how this class worked, one of them went from; Worst class ever, to this is OP in the space of about 45 minutes. There was a time when all classes were trial and error. Sadly, now we have an entire generation of gamers that have lost the will to discover. Most just watch a stream or a youtube vid and be told how they need to do everything. At any rate, it was cool to hear my guild work through it. Played properly, I feel like Frosweaver is a powerful toon, but they are easily interrupted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, whisky said:

Not so sure about that. I was in the party of my guild mates as they figure out how this class worked, one of them went from; Worst class ever, to this is OP in the space of about 45 minutes. There was a time when all classes were trial and error. Sadly, now we have an entire generation of gamers that have lost the will to discover. Most just watch a stream or a youtube vid and be told how they need to do everything. At any rate, it was cool to hear my guild work through it. Played properly, I feel like Frosweaver is a powerful toon, but they are easily interrupted.

Merely comparing to all previous major class releases* into tester hands, combined with the sporadic server availability and often actively unintuative in game presentation, let alone for people just following who aren't hopping onto test client

*E.g. https://web.archive.org/web/20160619025135/https://www.crowfall.com/en/news/first-look-druid-powers-ui/

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, whisky said:

There was a time when all classes were trial and error. 

There were also few games to choose from so people didn't have much choice but to figure things out. Fast forward 15+ years and people will just move on if a game isn't meeting basic modern expectations. Even with great tool tips and what not, classes are still trial and error, but figuring out very basic things shouldn't require extensive research that detracts from actually playing the game. Unless devs intentionally want players spending hours trying to figure out if a spell works or not because the animations, numbers, description, etc give little to work with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, APE said:

There were also few games to choose from so people didn't have much choice but to figure things out. Fast forward 15+ years and people will just move on if a game isn't meeting basic modern expectations. Even with great tool tips and what not, classes are still trial and error, but figuring out very basic things shouldn't require extensive research that detracts from actually playing the game. Unless devs intentionally want players spending hours trying to figure out if a spell works or not because the animations, numbers, description, etc give little to work with.

While I appreciate your point of view, this is Alpha and testing should be what we are doing more so than anything. I don't see the issue with not having a big class reveal and frankly I hope they took the time they didn't spend on putting that together to work on other things. Again, I understand your point, I just do not think it is the end of the world(s).

Edited by whisky
Do not type before coffee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, whisky said:

While I appreciate your point of view, this is Alpha and testing should be what we are doing more so than anything. I don't see the issue with not having a big class reveal and frankly I hope they took the time they didn't spend on putting that together to work on other things. Again, I understand your point, I just do not think it is the end of the world(s).

They did a reveal for every other class added and FW seems a step or two more complicated then most. If it wasn't standard before, I wouldn't expect it. Doesn't need to be a 30 min "how to" video. The page Tinnis linked is even a bit excessive.

Considering it took 5 years to get the FW out the door, seems like they could of tasked someone to spend a couple hours one day typing up a description and clipping some screen shots. If you look at the past reveals it really isn't anything extensive.

It isn't the end of the world like 100% game related things, but if they want people excited, playing, testing, then there should be some degree of accessibility and information up front. Although they seem fine having the same ~200 people playtesting so maybe growth is not their goal now (or ever). They've held back updates for months because "marketing" said so. Seems odd overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, APE said:

They did a reveal for every other class added and FW seems a step or two more complicated then most. If it wasn't standard before, I wouldn't expect it. Doesn't need to be a 30 min "how to" video. The page Tinnis linked is even a bit excessive.

Considering it took 5 years to get the FW out the door, seems like they could of tasked someone to spend a couple hours one day typing up a description and clipping some screen shots. If you look at the past reveals it really isn't anything extensive.

It isn't the end of the world like 100% game related things, but if they want people excited, playing, testing, then there should be some degree of accessibility and information up front. Although they seem fine having the same ~200 people playtesting so maybe growth is not their goal now (or ever). They've held back updates for months because "marketing" said so. Seems odd overall.

We have a difference of opinions, so no sense in trying to changing yours as I certainly won't be changing mine. However, on your last statement, anyone can buy into the game right now and as far as the same 200 or so testers...it's no where near live and it has been made known that as we progress into BETA people will start to be invited to join. I hope there is an eye towards growth, PvP games are very niche anyway, so I hope they are trying to figure out how to appeal to a larger player base. I agree, marketing holding updates does seem odd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, whisky said:

However, on your last statement, anyone can buy into the game right now and as far as the same 200 or so testers...it's no where near live and it has been made known that as we progress into BETA people will start to be invited to join. 

They mentioned 2020 release recently. So it is getting close but as they've been way off before, I'm not holding my breath.

They have ~66k paid accounts and ~354k overall. If they can only pull ~200 for the current version, I really hope they hit at least 1k once free invites go out.

Still there are games that have done quite a bit more while in development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you played an Animist in DAOC, you'll know the class (ice instead of mushrooms).   Extremely useful in set pieces at bottlenecks and keeps, and the first one dead in running encounters.  The first enemy through a breach into an ice minefield will feel a lot of pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cartric said:

If you played an Animist in DAOC, you'll know the class (ice instead of mushrooms).   Extremely useful in set pieces at bottlenecks and keeps, and the first one dead in running encounters.  The first enemy through a breach into an ice minefield will feel a lot of pain.

Can't imagine what would happen to the servers if FW were like Animists. People think FW visuals are lag inducing. :lol:

Really wish other games would of attempted to go with the variety that DAoC had. Don't believe I've played another MMO with as many options. So many unique classes beyond the ~10 standard that most others go with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, APE said:

Can't imagine what would happen to the servers if FW were like Animists. People think FW visuals are lag inducing. :lol:

Really wish other games would of attempted to go with the variety that DAoC had. Don't believe I've played another MMO with as many options. So many unique classes beyond the ~10 standard that most others go with.

But we have major discs which are just like playing a new class! 

*insert kappa face here*

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, Cartric said:

If you played an Animist in DAOC, you'll know the class (ice instead of mushrooms).   Extremely useful in set pieces at bottlenecks and keeps, and the first one dead in running encounters.  The first enemy through a breach into an ice minefield will feel a lot of pain.

 

17 hours ago, APE said:

Can't imagine what would happen to the servers if FW were like Animists. People think FW visuals are lag inducing. :lol:

Really wish other games would of attempted to go with the variety that DAoC had. Don't believe I've played another MMO with as many options. So many unique classes beyond the ~10 standard that most others go with.

would of preferred a Theurgist model! (one of my favs when i revisted phoenix shard). interrupt god (+group defensive utility)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey guys, I'm currently working on a Frostweaver guide: https://crusaderw.com/crowfall-in-depth-frostweaver-guide/

If anybody wants to help and add content feel free to send me text samples or opinions on builds I would be more than happy to add those parts to the guide and share credit.

The Ultimate goal of this guide is actually to answer the question: How does the Frostweaver work?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...