Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pann

Hi, how are you?

Totally off-topic post here, but I wanted to start a "check-in" thread to see how everyone is doing during these strange new times. How ya holding up? 

1_HiHowAreYou_Highsmith.jpg

(About the image: Daniel Johnston’s “Hi, How Are You” mural is an iconic photo stop for people visiting downtown Austin. You'll find it at Guadalupe & 21st. When the "Austin cobra" was on the loose a few years ago, someone created a Photoshopped meme where they turned Jeremiah into a cobra. lol

Valerie "Pann" Massey, Director of Community

Posted (edited)

Personally waiting for the new Canon EOS R5 camera & Dregs! Hopefully the goverment in Norway remove a law to deny us sleep in a hotell over a night so I can get some landscape photography going near Hardangervidda. 

Hardanger: https://ibb.co/D8t00zJ

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

I'm lucky to be in a position where i don't have a job to lose so this pandemic didn't create that much distress for me and staying in house for long periods of time is something mmorpgs taught me from a young age ;D.But im using this time to start working on projects i postponed for when i have time (some are crowfall related hehe).Hope the rest of the comunity and the ACE team is safe.

Posted (edited)

I was hired for a full time job starting 3-16. On 3-15, they put a hiring freeze in place. Since late February, I have been delivering for goPuff, basically a drugstore delivery service(food/beverage, OTC meds, etc). Trying to hang in there!

Wishing good health and good fortune to my fellow Crows!

Edited by Doomshadow

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Armegeddon said:

Front lines.. overblown panic... my spouse, along with a lot of others have lost their jobs....

Is this the new normal? Every 3 to 4 years we are going to shut down the world? Before you answer.. think about the repercussions..

10,000 people have died from this in the US and we're just getting started on the upswing of that curve we've been working so hard to flatten. Hospitals in my city are literally rationing care for non-COVID patients and running out of beds. We just opened a new hospital months ahead of when it was supposed to be open just to help carry the load.

This is not overblown panic. I'm not sure where you are where it seems that way.

This is a very real health crisis, resulting in a very real economic crisis due to an economy and healthcare infrastructure that were already brittle and waiting to be broken by a stiff breeze because we have a poorly made dergsload of people working paycheck to paycheck with no savings or insurance because we decided as a society it is totally okay for the majority of our country to get underpaid for their work and overcharged for poorly made dergs they need as long as a handful of people have the freedom to hoard billions, and evade taxes.

Maybe in stead of asking people to sacrifice their health and safety for a company that was perfectly happy to cut them loose we should be asking why we ever put up with what we got working for those companies in the first place? People at my last job are custarded right now. Like five times as many people work there than where I work now.

Maybe its gonna take god knows how many more people dying because it wasn't profitable to stockpile medical supplies, or making sure people aren't more worried about paying for the doctor than becoming another infection vector. Maybe we should take a moment here, especially those of us who are supporting people that are taking that hit, and take stock of why it's going down like this.

It ain't your spouse's fault. It ain't your fault. It ain't my fault or the people I'm helping buy groceries right now.

Maybe stuff isn't okay right now because it actually wasn't okay before the virus. Just a thought. Stay safe.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)

ot, but can you @Pann ban hammer a re-name to this gimmick account, it was never funny even at it's creation and it is in poor taste to let it remain.

https://community.crowfall.com/profile/90895-coronavirus/

if people want some escapism, i heavily recommend getting into a hobby of fiction audio podcasts:

p.s. for those new to podcasts:

My (free) podcast apps of choice would be:

due to their fully featured organisational and player features & customisations.

other hobby i've picked up that i've been meaning to try for awhile (and to avoid shopping)

taken up home brewing (got some cider & wine on the go!)

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

3 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

This is not overblown panic. I'm not sure where you are where it seems that way.

That is the thing tho. It wildly varies from place to place.

I live in Brazil. 40 min drive from Rio. And I can say that exactly nothing changed. People are still going out, still staying till 2-3am at bars drinking. And I can't exactly blame them. As a owner of a small neighbor bar where people in my neighborhood go, I have yet to hear about a single case of corona being confirmed around here, and trust me, people would talk about that. We dont have even rumours about it.

So we have this situation where people on tv are hyping up an apocalipse but when we look out of the window everything is the same. It really looks like overblow panic.

1 hour ago, Tinnis said:

ot, but can you @Pann ban hammer a re-name to this gimmick account, it was never funny even at it's creation and it is in poor taste to let it remain.

https://community.crowfall.com/profile/90895-coronavirus/

I dont think we should. The few post I saw were funny and the owner hasnt being spamming comments or anything.

I'd say keep an eye on it and if they take it too far hit them with the ban hammer. Getting a laugh out of a bad situation can be helpful.

Posted (edited)

17 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I dont think we should. The few post I saw were funny and the owner hasnt being spamming comments or anything.

I'd say keep an eye on it and if they take it too far hit them with the ban hammer. Getting a laugh out of a bad situation can be helpful.

not really interested in input on this.

22 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I live in Brazil. 40 min drive from Rio. And I can say that exactly nothing changed.

there is a reason for that and its not a good one

Edited by Tinnis

caldera_forum_banner_wings.png

23 minutes ago, BarriaKarl said:

I live in Brazil. 40 min drive from Rio. And I can say that exactly nothing changed. People are still going out, still staying till 2-3am at bars drinking. And I can't exactly blame them. As a owner of a small neighbor bar where people in my neighborhood go, I have yet to hear about a single case of corona being confirmed around here, and trust me, people would talk about that. We dont have even rumours about it.

So we have this situation where people on tv are hyping up an apocalipse but when we look out of the window everything is the same. It really looks like overblow panic.

Well, yeah, it's not like an actual war, if you don't know a lot of old or fat people you won't see much change. Except if you know medical professionals or work at a hospital or a morgue, then you will see a different story.

If we don't flatten the curve, imagine a scenario over the next 3 months where we lose 1/3 or more of our medical professionals to attrition or death, while simultaneously essentially shutting down hospital access to anybody but covid-19 patients. Try to make sure you don't get appendicitis, mkay? Or you'll be like this russian guy cutting out his own appendix because there were no other doctors - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonid_Rogozov

Thankful that my family are I are still healthy. Thankful I'm able to work remotely for the most part. Thankful for all the delivery people delivering me things so I can try to stay isolated and flatten the curve. Thankful for all the healthcare workers on the front lines. 

Wondering how much truth there is to reports like this and if they are true if those responsible will be held accountable: https://youtu.be/bpQFCcSI0pU

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

If we don't flatten the curve, imagine a scenario over the next 3 months where we lose 1/3 or more of our medical professionals to attrition or death, while simultaneously essentially shutting down hospital access to anybody but covid-19 patients. Try to make sure you don't get appendicitis, mkay? 

This is a real issue and its already happening in some form with cancelations of elective and non-emergency procedures. I would hate to get sick or injured now and have to goto hospital, chances are I would leave with corona. I fear the long sickness time and ventilator recovery rate of 20% will keep hospitals full and medical staff turn-around after sickness very slow.

I personally know of 2 people here in las vegas with the virus. Both recovering after a very horrible sickness(not requiring hospitalization) that measured in weeks not days. They were 39m and 58m respectively and both were in decent health as far as I knew(not obese/not smokers/ect).

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

Until you discover that one person at the bar had it, wasn't showing symptoms for a week, and now your entire community is infected so you'd better hope your local ICU is up to the task.

That's pretty much exactly what happened in new orleans here in the US, only in stead of one bar it was the whole city during mardi gras, which spread trails of infection vectors to other communities too.

That's the tricky thing about this virus in particular. Asymptomatic carriers can lead to seemingly rapid outbreaks as multiple people who'd been infected and had the thing incubating for a week all begin to show symptoms simultaneously, and only then realize they've also been walking around spreading it for a week.

I hope this doesn't happen to your community, but it is a story that has been repeated over and over across the world in the past few months.

Part 1: Nobody thinks its that serious.

Part 2: Some media / government people try to warn them that it is, but everyone ignores the warning.

Part 3: two weeks later hospitals are at capacity, you're out of ventilators, and everyone is regretting the decisions they made two weeks ago.

Trust me, you don't want that to be you. It really sucks, and it sucks doubly so when you realize it could have been so much less worse.

Do what you can to stay safe. Don't panic, but don't be reckless and dumb either you know? Every community is at risk right now, and most don't have any capacity to test the majority of the population to quarantine asymptomatic carriers, if indeed they have the capacity to test anyone at all.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Posted (edited)

Very fortunate to have a job that I can absolutely crush from home, under ideal circumstances, but having a young child makes working extremely challenging.  The Mrs. and I are essentially splitting 3 full time jobs and not getting much down time; pretty excited for babysitters to be a thing again.  That said, we are pretty much guaranteed to see some first steps, so silver linings :) 

Stay safe out there folks!

Edited by starrshipcs

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, BarriaKarl said:

For those that think is "Business as normal" read the full link from "Chair of New York City Council health committee. Representing District 7, Uptown Manhattan".

This guy is talking about putting bodies in city parks as a temporary internment measure because the trailers to hold them all are full.

Regardless of how things got here, or who or what is ultimately responsible, it is not "overblown" for some.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken