Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Druid impressions after having tried game again after hiatus

MervDeGriff

The split made no sense to me when I came back to take a look at the game once I had some time again. Thematically and game mechanic wise some of this made no sense.  I feel like who ever handled the druid tree design was a bit drunk? I admit I got really irritated and tried other classes in the interim.  The tree and itemization was bad enough it put a bad taste in my mouth for what is one of my favorite fantasy archetypes, so I did not get that far into even working this class.

What the heck?  I know these boards seem slow currently, but anyone at ACE want to share what the idea was here?  I have no idea what video if any they may have talked about druid in post tree split...  if there is one and someone has a link/time stamp let me know.

I just want my staff and lightning spam back  :P

• Weapon Defaults and unlocks.
    • Why do I start off with only a gimpy 1 handed sickle? 
      • All art and just being a druid made sense for the wooden stafff.
      • Sickle is only used by one of three promotion classes
      • Unable to use shield from start.
    • Why is the DPS spec using a shield and a one hander?
      • If the goal was focusing on damage why do the items not?
    • Since Archdruid is wearing mail, why isn't it using the metal sickle and shield?
      • Tanky druid, but its not the one with the shield.
  • Animation locks in auto attack... not cool for a dodgy responsive 3PS RPG game.
  • Flow
    • How does storm caller regain it's resource for DPS?  
      • Did I miss something here?
    • Arch is bombs.. neat. Build dump cycle was neat.
    • Heeeeeeals.... and another animation lock from what I saw?
      • I did not play this spec.  It was an observation of other players and their commentary.
Edited by MervDeGriff

• 3 months later...

I don´t care much about roleplay, but druid in chain mail feels wrong. Druid with a shield feels wrong. The sickle should be the tool for the healer and generally I liked the druid better three years ago. But even then not as much as the Shaman in Warhammer Online.

All these outdated concepts and "decisions should be meaningful" stuff in Crowfall don´t fit well in 2020. See CF´s talent trees compared to GW2, Warframe or Diablo 3 where you can easily adapt to new situations, say
- your tank/healer/dps/cc leaves the group  
- you´d like to play a different role
- you want to PvP
- you want to chop some trees 
- you play solo/small group/massive group

In GW2, Warframe or Diablo this is switched in seconds. You have a completely new experience and it´s fun again. And if that´s not enough you can still switch to another class. 
In CF we are nailed to the spec we chose for leveling or we can sacrifice stuff for more lvl 30 druids with different specs. But this doesn´t help when you join a group, they ask if you can heal and you can´t, because heal spec is not an option for playing solo as you did until then. Reminds me of WoW in 2005. 

GvTm2yj.gif

• 3 weeks later...

I personally think that this Class needs to be redesigned completely.

It is no fun to play at all. I Started one on Saturday and all the way to lvl 20 it really did not even have a heal ability yet really and only two offensive abilities.

The essence mechanic  was draining so fast and then you do what? Start sacrificing your health to get some essence so you can continue playing? Ok tried it.

By 20 I chose to go Archdruid..What a smorgasbord that decision was! The Play between Life and death Tray is abysmal! no fun at all and you wonder why it has to be like that? Not only it makes no sense but it has no meaning. The Essence burn...LOL... The worst mechanic for a game I gave ever experienced...

I am sorry, I was so dismayed, I promptly recalled removed all my gear and emptied the inventory and deleted that character to make space for another class.

It is not fun to play at all.

(After the Druid Class in other games such as World of Warcraft...Crowfall's version leaves much to be desired, really a bad joke, please read some Fantasy to get inspiration about Druids)

Cheers.

~ Duke Suraknar ~

<Order of the Silver Star>, (OSS)

*everyone dies, not everyone really fights*

@Duke_Suraknar That´s the same with almost every class. The leveling experience is horrible. Druid is viable for leveling from lvl 27 as stormcaller, about the same as Archdruid if you get a staff and never as an Earthkeeper. Whoever invented a resource system without a resource filler should win a price. The price for "something absolutely unique noone else could ever have invented". 

Major discs need to be redone, too. Obviously they were tied to classes before. Now we can use almost all of them, but not really, because just two or three outside our class discs don´t require special stats we don´t have on our gear. And even our class discs have near duplicates of skills we get from talents. Then the discs that depend on another. It´s plain bad when the game tells you a disc with just one desireable skill is a valid option. 

GvTm2yj.gif

As I am downloading the beta and working to get in, I have always played Druid classes and I look forward to trying it. The posts so far in here make it seem that there is a lot of work that still needs to be done. Thank you for those that have already tried and are responding good.

Druids all have ritual sacrifice to refill resources. I think the other two druids need a rework but I enjoy the stormcaller, because they feel very clunky. Also in dnd sickle and small shield is common equipment for druids although I do agree the mail is a weird design choice. 

Arch-Druid is my 2nd fave class. As it is, leaving much to be desired. You guys touched on a lot of issues. But even now, I tried to come back and make one and now that mobs actually path/patrol and not stuck in place, it really highlights how bad the system is having to put down orbs to bomb. Even trying to stick to 3 to pop the passive, you watch mobs just walk away. Players complaining about the distance on bombs got the range nerfed to hell. The same people playing the melee classes that can dodge/gap close into your face and smash it in so easy.

Bombing and Gaia's Wail just does not hit peopel remotely mobile. And having to depend on other people to distract, or be stupid enough to not see you animate dropping orbs does not a fun class make.

Reserving judgement until the discipline and talent pass comes through. After that the devs will hear it all.

On 9/4/2020 at 9:49 AM, PallyStalvind said:

Druids all have ritual sacrifice to refill resources. I think the other two druids need a rework but I enjoy the stormcaller, because they feel very clunky. Also in dnd sickle and small shield is common equipment for druids although I do agree the mail is a weird design choice. 

Lol, right. I understand they don't have something like hide in the game. But a node can easily make it in the druid branches that need it, boosting leather stats by X amount. As you craft better leather, those boosted stats get better as well. This can simulate stronger armor without giving it mail.

On 8/31/2020 at 7:56 PM, TexCowboy said:

As I am downloading the beta and working to get in, I have always played Druid classes and I look forward to trying it. The posts so far in here make it seem that there is a lot of work that still needs to be done. Thank you for those that have already tried and are responding good.

The problem is splitting Archetypes into classes with 3 specs kind of ruined many of them to be rather stupid and feeling bad.

Orb bombs were only fun when it was an option for the component healer to either contribute to offense, manage their resource levels or prevent orb wastage in between weaving through both trays and actually having control over essence management.

Rather than it being your one trick pony show all the time

Similar argument for earthkeeper to have other things to do than life left click for the majority of your time. Current cool down on EK's nature's avatar deeply flawed. Capstone auto proc is brain-dead.

The unsustainable resource of basic/storm just feels bad (talent order actually has significant traps for this e.g. early faerie fire) and so few options to pump it out anyway. Easy fix: make passive orb attack procs the yellow orbs that regen resource for target (actual utility for level group!)

Shame that branching combos largely dropped or shoe horned off too

Tldr well designed flexible original class/resource system watered down into 3 lacklustre shadows instead of promotions adding options as was the case for most of the other classes

Edited by Tinnis