Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Brightdance

Knight Down and Out

This is more of a plea for @CrowfallCentral to at least acknowledge there is a melee problem.

I'm putting down my sword and shield. It pains me to say this and anyone that plays with me can tell you, I love my knight, I was hoping to be a knight exclusively and try to just be the best knight I can be and even still I go through builds in my head that "maybe" could work but at last it is not so.

I think the problem isn't just for knights but melee in general. You have tank builds that are ranged, CC that are better and dmg we can't compare with. 

Escapes in this game make it so it is impossible to stick to someone and lessen the need for a tank.

If I play a knight I'm officially making my group worse. Not neutral but worse. In a 5v5 my group will be at a disadvantage because I'm playing a knight. I have played 30-40 different battles and scrims and reviewed my play in videos and different approaches I've had. I've gone tank, dps, CC. I've gone defensive to protect healers, been a buff bot, I've leveled 10+ knights, tried every disc combination possible and at the end, all I see is waste of a group member that would be better off with some other ranged type.

The worse part is my guild has patiently allowed this to happen the same way you'd let a stubborn kid touch a hot iron so they'll learn. I could hear in their voice "sure, try that... maybe".

Anyway, I hope in the future they get this fixed and hope this post helps bring some light to it. 

Posted (edited)

yeah the pull isnt even viable anymore, used to be a huge part in fights. oh you pull a confessor? ult and out

that plus 60% of the time it works every time

Edited by yianni

Posted (edited)

Yeah, I've never liked that melee hits don't add a soft CC snaring effect (or disable dodge). It's a great way to balance melee, which takes a lot of risk to get a hit, to ranged, which takes significantly less risk to get a hit. Melee need a major reward for getting a hit off, and I'd prefer it to be an improved ability to get a subsequent hit off, instead of making the first hit a smackdown.

Also has the benefit of improving active abilities that remove CC, which are all but negligible with near-infinite retaliate.

Edited by McTan

Mic MWH, Member of Mithril Warhammers since 2003,

Hammers High! http://www.mithrilwarhammers.com

I think Templars are extincted. I see very few champs any more. Really all melee are at a disadvantage. I know there some melee out there but if I'm honest there is nothing a melee can do that a ranged class can't do better,.

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, Brightdance said:

I think Templars are extincted. I see very few champs any more. Really all melee are at a disadvantage. I know there some melee out there but if I'm honest there is nothing a melee can do that a ranged class can't do better,.

imo they should remove all hard CC from ranged attacks. and make hard cc a little more reliable for CC specs.

Although when range do as much dmg as melee from safer distance and dodge can get you out of most melee situation and back into range is kinda an issue.

If they were to nerf dodge to a degree, nerf to retaliate (To atleast some classes aka CC specs) and reduce range CC output and maybe dmg output it should be ok i think.

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

1 hour ago, Brightdance said:

Yea, melee lmb should drain 1 dodge pip. That Would give melee a fighting chance and a nice addition to a group comp.

Well knight had a counter to dodge with shield slam which is good in theory but there execution is bad because pip regen at set intervals and not counted down after use/loose one charge. that one thing made it unreliable sadly.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Yup, great in theory but not easily pulled off. You’d have to focus all your attention on doing it and with the regen of the pips it was just a matter of time before they got away. 

there is a lot they could do. Many ways they could go... I just hope they know it’s a problem.

They can simply change it to put dodge on a 10 second CD or something when hit by it so then it doesnt maatter bout pip regens. Chain pull should stop target from moving/dodging for .5 second to allow for a hit aswell imo so they cant just mash dodge and avoid the shield slam

Veeshan Midst of UXA

16 hours ago, Soulreaver said:

So those sitting on the bench atm are : Sins, Knights and whom else?

Give champion some buffs aswell if we are at it.Make the leap cd intended also give rend 0s cd aswell. ty

The problem is melee combat as a whole. Not just knights. Knights just happen to be my experience. I think the meat of it is that melee needs to have an advantage to being melee. Range has an inherit advantage to being ranged. 

I really love the idea of removing dodge pips with melee attacks. It makes sense to me. If I hit you with a sword it should make it difficult for you to jump away. It would give melees a chance to really engage and also make them a desirable class in a group comp. 

But again, to me this isn't about making suggestions or telling devs whats needed. Simply to bring awareness of the issue. I hate making assumptions of what should be done then being disappointed in what is done. 

Melee suck, fix it.

I am still playing Knight for now but I oftentimes wonder if all my hard work would be better served just being yet another Conefssor or Stormcaller.  +1 as someone who has loved sitting on the Knight since hunger dome.

Lower the numbers of snares from range along with adjusting the ranged vs melee damage numbers, give melee more snare options or just flat out make all snare options a close melee range only still set.    Taking away peoples ability to dodge is not good it limits counter play.    It is strange normally in MMO high level play is all melee trains in the open fields dominating with the soft counters being teams with plenty of AoE/debuffs.