Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Rising Challenge: Moving From Live To Test

It’s exciting to see how many new players are entering the Throne War each day (remember, only Backers have the ability to join and play now - once we hit Closed Beta registered players will be invited to join and play by Beta group based on when you registered). We know that getting started can sometimes be confusing particularly when there are two servers to choose from (see “Choosing your Crowfall server”) that each offer a different gameplay experience. 

LIVE SERVER: THE ADVENTURE STARTS HERE

Our recommendation is for new Crows to first wet your beaks in the LIVE test environment. Here you’ll find the content from our previous update, The Fortunes of War (5.100), offering a smoother, more predictable gameplay experience that’s had the benefit of months of playtesting by the Crowfall community. The Getting Battle Ready guide will help you advance at your own pace and get familiar with the cool powers and skills your character can acquire and master!

TRANSITION TO TEST

When you’ve attained or passed level 10 and you have an understanding of the basic gameplay mechanics used to move, interact and fight in Crowfall, you’ll be ready to install the TEST game client and jump confidently into the new, but still familiar, War of the Gods (5.110) gameplay update. War of the Gods includes the Dregs ruleset, supporting Guild vs. Guild campaign wars, a new Class, the Frostweaver, and significant UI enhancements. 

Once you’ve mastered the God’s Reach starting area and hit level 15, you’ll be ready for the Infected world, where you will get your first taste of PVP and the ability to earn and collect higher quality rewards and resources! (There is no looting in Infected.) At level 20, you can enter the Dregs. In the Dregs you will experience a world dedicated to intensely competitive guild vs guild PVP wars sure to get your adrenaline pumping.

Moving from the LIVE to the TEST server is a great way to continue to build your knowledge and expertise in Crowfall. It is also a good way to continue to meet the Crow community and connect with other players - a key to success in Crowfall! 

QUICK TIP: On both LIVE and TEST, after creating your character, immediately begin training your Passive Skills. You can do this from the Game Lobby, which is also where you will select the game world you want to enter -- Eternal Kingdom (personal player housing), God’s Reach (a safe haven for new players) or one of the Campaign Worlds (Infected or Dregs - as available).

• Pann pinned this topic

In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to recommend for new players to familiarize themselves with obsolete gameplay mechanics (e.g. the survival tray system) or old game graphics at this very moment. "Smoother and more predictable gameplay experience" just isn't a valid argument with a development gap between Live and Test environment this big.
It's not like the Test server has major downtimes from constant patching that would lead to an inferior gameplay experience.
In fact, New players ask why the (live client) servers are empty and get directed to the Test environment client on a daily basis.
I really think you should temporarily direct new players to the TEST environment until you transition the 5.110 build to the Live client. That would almost certainly produce less confusion than that announcement.

Also, I am curious how attaining or passing level 10 will give you any insight into the basic gameplay mechanics. You will find yourself with roughly two abilities on your hotbar and have killed about seven mobs. But hopefully people haven't noticed the survival tray before they transition to the test environment :)

3 hours ago, Fayde said:

In my opinion, it doesn't make any sense to recommend for new players to familiarize themselves with obsolete gameplay mechanics (e.g. the survival tray system) or old game graphics at this very moment. "Smoother and more predictable gameplay experience" just isn't a valid argument with a development gap between Live and Test environment this big.
It's not like the Test server has major downtimes from constant patching that would lead to an inferior gameplay experience.
In fact, New players ask why the (live client) servers are empty and get directed to the Test environment client on a daily basis.
I really think you should temporarily direct new players to the TEST environment until you transition the 5.110 build to the Live client. That would almost certainly produce less confusion than that announcement.

Also, I am curious how attaining or passing level 10 will give you any insight into the basic gameplay mechanics. You will find yourself with roughly two abilities on your hotbar and have killed about seven mobs. But hopefully people haven't noticed the survival tray before they transition to the test environment :)

I fully agree on all words. 

4 hours ago, Fayde said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm honestly baffeled ... literally dumbfounded at the disconnect....

As far as the original post, I have this to say...At this point, to be honest, given lack of updates, dev interaction, and with no real direction of any kind regarding any semblance of community development or meaningful involvement.... after five years.. to see this post?!.... You seem ... lost frankly. You scream, by this post. that you do not even remotely know the game you wish to "promote" (if you can even use that term given the collective effort) otr the community invested.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude here, but i have never seen such a lackluster job by a project this far along in development. Hire someone that plays the game.. please. 

I don't want warning points please (or a ban)... but this is horrible.. honestly.

Delete topic please and start over.

35 minutes ago, Armegeddon said:

My thoughts exactly. I'm honestly baffeled ... literally dumbfounded at the disconnect....

As far as the original post, I have this to say...At this point, to be honest, given lack of updates, dev interaction, and with no real direction of any kind regarding any semblance of community development or meaningful involvement.... after five years.. to see this post?!.... You seem ... lost frankly. You scream, by this post. that you do not even remotely know the game you wish to "promote" (if you can even use that term given the collective effort) otr the community invested.

I'm honestly not trying to be rude here, but i have never seen such a lackluster job by a project this far along in development. Hire someone that plays the game.. please. 

I don't want warning points please (or a ban)... but this is horrible.. honestly.

Delete topic please and start over.

Some new players that are joining my guild, told me that if I haven't recruited them and passed a basic guide, they will ask for a refund. This on the TEST server, imagine a player entering LIVE and then going to TEST, with a difference that exists between servers.

I've seen a lot of comments over the years from devs/companies that make me scratch my head and this is definitely up there.

Experiencing Live currently, including passive training, seems to offer zero value that can't be experienced on Test. Playing an outdated, "soon" to be wiped, even more empty server then Test makes no sense to me.

This thread suggest a way to approach the development state of Crowfall starting with LIVE environment and then focusing in TEST.
Players more expert than me pointed out how this approach is possibly flawed.

Meanwhile I figure the expectation new players are going to spend meaningful time in LIVE means 5.11* is not going to be deployed in LIVE for a meaningful amount of time (months?). 

We are NOT expecting players moving from LIVE to TEST, we are expecting features moving from TEST to LIVE.
That's all.

Edited by RikForFun

Catelyn: War will make them old, as it did us. I pity them.
Mathis: Why? Look at them. They're young and strong, full of life and laughter. And lust, aye, more lust than they know what to do with. There will be many a bastard bred this night, I promise you. Why pity?
Catelyn: Because it will not last. Because they are the knights of summer, and winter is coming.

A Clash of Kings, Chapter 22, Catelyn II.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Crowfall Discord Channels: international (english) - italiano

Is anyone playing on live at this time? Cause last I seen it was like 5 people on live tops? Its kinda a confusing embarrassment . I understand trying to shuffle people to the populated areas "Test" but dunno this is the way to do it. Possibly just bring down the live server until you feel Test is done cooking . ?

7 hours ago, RikForFun said:

This thread suggest a way to approach the development state of Crowfall starting with LIVE environment and then focusing in TEST.
Players more expert than me pointed out how this approach is possibly flawed.

Meanwhile I figure the expectation new players are going to spend meaningful time in LIVE means 5.11* is not going to be deployed in LIVE for a meaningful amount of time (months?). 

We are NOT expecting players moving from LIVE to TEST, we are expecting features moving from TEST to LIVE.
That's all.

I thought that too, and if they posted this, it is because NPE is not going to arrive anytime soon, that this would be the correct way to approach a new player in the game.

It is strange, in general, that there is even a separate "live" server when the game as a whole is still in Alpha, it's all in development and in testing. Why not just have Test? And save a Test/Live separation until after launch, for post launch patches? That's how it's been in other games I've tested pre-launch - I may be new around here, but I am definitely not new to that experience.

Edited by Leowyld

007c53_3972265397384703bc9460b9af2e4add~

3 minutes ago, Leowyld said:

It is strange, in general, that there is even a separate "live" server when the game as a whole is still in Alpha, it's all in development and in testing. Why not just have Test? And save a Test/Live separation until after launch, for post launch patches? That's how it's been in other games I've tested pre-launch - I may be new around here, but I am definitely not new to that experience.

The Russians can't seem to play the TEST server, I don't know why. So in LIVE there is only Russian practically.

2 minutes ago, UDeadPRO said:

The Russians can't seem to play the TEST server, I don't know why. So in LIVE there is only Russian practically.

I was on "live", at first (because I didn't know better), and it does seem to be the case - based on the chat I saw.

There is a live server because ACE essentially promised to provide a live service. They are fulfilling that obligation. Some of ACE has said in places that if that did this all over again they wouldn't have done that.

ACE does provide a decent amount of interaction in terms of the livestreams, more than I've seen in terms of feedback and transparency than other companies, so saying they don't communicate is not fair.

What they are not communicating are timelines, at the moment at least, because (I would guess) they have been wrong about them every time.

23 minutes ago, Leowyld said:

I was on "live", at first (because I didn't know better), and it does seem to be the case - based on the chat I saw.

A few days ago I saw a Russian streaming and playing on the TEST server

Edited by UDeadPRO
10 minutes ago, DocHollidaze said:

There is a live server because ACE essentially promised to provide a live service. They are fulfilling that obligation. Some of ACE has said in places that if that did this all over again they wouldn't have done that.

Hmm. But Live is essentially a live service in name only, it's still a test build and it's still going to be wiped, multiple times. "Live" is currently the more outdated of two test builds. Or rather, it could be said, the Test server is as much of a live service as the Live server is. Both are always up and still in development. 

1 minute ago, Leowyld said:

Hmm. But Live is essentially a live service in name only, it's still a test build and it's still going to be wiped, multiple times. "Live" is currently the more outdated of two test builds. Or rather, it could be said, the Test server is as much of a live service as the Live server is. Both are always up and still in development. 

I'm just relaying to you what I've observed ACE saying. I've been paying attention for like 4 years now.

As to your comments on the outdated nature of live - live/production service is always outdated. What is put on production live servers whether it is a game or a website, or an app, is the most stable (or should be) version of the system.

TBH, I don't think ACE cares too much at the moment (this is my opinion) about the current state of live or test, they are probably working as hard as humanly possible to get to launch. The more they dck around with community interaction and supporting the live service the longer launch ready will take. If imagine if they fail to launch this year they will lose a lot of confidence in their investors, not to mention the remaining community and the gaming news media.

With how new player friendly playing in the GR is (all PvE no PvP - completely chill playtime) there is zero reason to have players play in Live.

I'd say turn it off completely but it seems our russians friends have some special circunstances so what about putting up a big warning 'this is outdated go play in the Test server for a more complete experience. Thanks for helping us make our game!'

• Pann unpinned this topic