Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What if we didn't have chaos embers

A direct translation of embers to gold would allow them to control the market which is a good thing.  You could change the price of embers or their frequency of use in crafting at any time.

I like the idea of putting embers on merchants or maybe having some sort of machine/vendor that will take dust and gold and turn it into embers for you.

10 hours ago, Ble said:

I like the idea of putting embers on merchants or maybe having some sort of machine/vendor that will take dust and gold and turn it into embers for you.

A good while ago (5.7? 5.8?) I suggested that gold be convertible to all basic mats, including legos. The exchange rates would need to be high enough that harvesters would be happy to undercut the NPCs so that they wouldn't be commonly used in a mature game environment with a healthy economy, but while the economy isn't healthy, it would give a floor to the value of gold.

That proposal was not met with any enthusiasm back then. Now that the game is filled with gold fountains and woefully short on sinks, I don't think it'd take us places we want to go.

What I think we need are gold sinks on things the average mid-game player wants. EvE uses insurance and fees on offices, labs & manufacturing to give credits value to the average player. I think CF needs something in the same vein.

Once there is a game loop that makes the average player want gold for something more than their dragon's bed, then gold convertibility makes a lot more sense.

Edited by VaMei
1 hour ago, VaMei said:

A good while ago (5.7? 5.8?) I suggested that gold be convertible to all basic mats, including legos. The exchange rates would need to be high enough that harvesters would be happy to undercut the NPCs so that they wouldn't be commonly used in a mature game environment with a healthy economy, but while the economy isn't healthy, it would give a floor to the value of gold.

That proposal was not met with any enthusiasm back then. Now that the game is filled with gold fountains and woefully short on sinks, I don't think it'd take us places we want to go.

What I think we need are gold sinks on things the average mid-game player wants. EvE uses insurance and fees on offices, labs & manufacturing to give credits value to the average player. I think CF needs something in the same vein.

Once there is a game loop that makes the average player want gold for something more than their dragon's bed, then gold convertibility makes a lot more sense.

A possible gold sink is have mob drops items be unidentify and it takes 100g to unidentified them, potential one way to add a sink to a degree.
Could add gold cost to crafting final items aswell or small rerolls = gold big = dust/embers depending on quality. Being able to transmute resources to higher quality resources via gold is another.

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Maintenance cost sinks are the real need, IMO. Like, run caravans to build the stuff, but then once it's built pour some gold in there to keep them working. It was a classic Shadowbane gold sink and it worked very well. It would also help to have us be able to stack gold at higher amounts, and trade outside faction/guild in temples.

The gold drop rate in gods reach and infected should be drastically lowered, as well.

Edited by McTan

A huge, new, gold sink is upgrading Forts/Keeps.  Gold sacrifices at a 1:1 rate, thus becoming one of the best methods of upgrading your strongholds.  This might provide enough of a gold sink to make gold a useful item.  Perhaps not as a primary currency, but it certainly maintains some form of value, and everyone can farm it, thus making it a viable route for everyone to farm something to contribute to a stronghold effort.  The four-day campaigns in dregs make this not-so desirable currently, but in the longer run this is a viable purpose for gold.

On 5/25/2020 at 8:41 PM, veeshan said:

Could add a wandering merchant in campaign worlds that sell Chaos embers for 10-20k per or something or somethign else that can be used inplace of CE for rerolls. Adds a little bit of pvp content that way and risk since u gotta carry that gold to the merchant. Could be a thrall merchant so he only spawns at night.

Could have him travel around from camp to camp on a schedule.  If you own the camp you get notice, but if you don't and you know the schedule, you would know where he is going to be. 

Guess I'll be the old crone with the:

Isn't this why there was not supposed to be a non-player made currency, or gear drops?

Where people are now advocating for extra mechanics which will add extra tedium and require more 'maintenance'.

Since they are in and clearly not going anywhere, isn't the simplest answer controlling the gold input into worlds, rather than trying to manufacture extra mechanics to take it out?

All these things make me sad.

• 4 weeks later...
23 hours ago, linc said:

If you ask me domination dust is a pretty significant sink. 32k gold to make 2 disciplines. That's way more gold than you can loot while leveling a blue vessel

Yeah but how many times are you gonna be sinking gold into a vessel for disciplines?

Gold is easy to get

Chaos embers will still be worth more

Edited by yianni