Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Alpha, beta and beyond

Hey folks,

Quick note -- we're not making a huge deal out of this, but with this latest patch we are officially ticking the version from pre-alpha to alpha.   The game has been in development (and in 24x7 testing) for a few years, now, and frankly we probably should have called it 'alpha' some time ago.  We'll do an announcement this morning, but we are electing not to do an official press release, because we feel like the distinction between 'pre-alpha' and 'alpha' doesn't mean much to the audience at large...  Internal designations vary so much between teams and projects that frankly, it doesn't mean much until you start to invite in the public en masse.  That's beta and that's when it gets real. 

Beta is what we are all focused on right now.  We have some solid momentum going now on fps improvements (huge strides in the most recent build, as you can all attest!) and we're rapidly narrowing in on final elements that we need for launch.

As always, I want to thank all of you for your patience and your support, with a special call-out to those of you who have spent hours (some of you thousands of hours) helping us test this game and providing us with your critical feedback.  It is more appreciated than you will ever know.

Regards, and onward to beta!

Todd & Gordon

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Great work on these past updates, as a player I can really feel the game starting to come together and all the little pieces you have put in over these years finding their right place.  Look forward to the next year!   Personal wish list game component is in game guild interface and banking, but I suspect that is all going to be tied to the EK system which will get love down the road. As nice as implementing it would be for the community I think prioritizing your focus on launch and organizing the team efficiently towards that goal is the best course, just remember we see it in our dreams haha!

-The Legion shall forever be reborn

qliewl5.png

10 minutes ago, Nueby said:

I guess everyone wants to know then when this will go to live? A lot are of the mentality that on test its just not worth the grind on. 

We're trying to decide that...  It's certainly in a much better shape than what is currently on live, but we won't be able to start inviting beta folks until at least the first section of the NPE (new player experience) is ready.  That's cooking right now internally.

J Todd Coleman

[Rules of Conduct]

1 minute ago, Aedius said:

@jtoddcoleman @Pann Could you make a precision / news about the pledge level ?
 Some of my mate think they cant access the alpha because they are beta1 only ...

All backers have access now.  We'll start to invite registered players in waves once we announce beta.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

[Rules of Conduct]

The current active test groups are Pre-Alpha 1 through Beta 3. They can see their test group from their Account page. The TL;DR is that if someone has a pledge or backer pack, they can play. Anyone without a pack who has registered will get an invitation at some point during closed beta. 

5 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

Beta is what we are all focused on right now...we're rapidly narrowing in on final elements that we need for launch.

Love seeing all of you and the teams hard working paying off! Can you shed some light on what these "final elements" are? We know some goals are getting pushed to post launch. 

Hello and thank you very much for informing us and breaking stuff down as simple as you can make it for us. I myself am a really quiet backer for a few years now and I hopped into the game here and then again (live and test) around 80-100 hours I would guess. That said, I don't got the most practical experience with the game, but still I got some. Also I watch every Q&A on YouTube and check the crowfall news and forum every here and then. I know that you guys are trying to create a game that people really can enjoy and feel like their money was well spent and worth, that's why you started that whole project in pre - alpha and with open test servers, so we can be a crucial part of development. Since the game is buy to play which I am a huge fan of, it really HAS to have a decent performance for an mmo and a new player experience, I really get all that stuff and appreciate your appreciation for it, because it's important. Nevertheless, if I'm not mistaken you made a pretty early press release for soft launch (2016-2017?) something about the game will be releasing soon. A typical mmorpg needs around 3 to 5 years of development depending on what you're aiming for and how much of a budget and crew you got, I'm not a softwareengineer or gamedeveloper by myself, but I don't say things just because they suit my point and you surely can agree that 3 to 5 years are by any means no imagination if you look up how long other mmorpgs took for launch. The bad and the good. So I'm starting to ask myself; why would you announce a launch that early if you clearly haven't spent enough time on your game if not for getting some early backers and overall clout. That said I'm not quite sure if crowfall was a thing before 2016 and if so for how long or anything about the team and budget behind it, but I know that this early launch announcement left me kinda suspecious. Any information or statements on that specific decision? 

May I misunderstood something (wouldn't be the first time, we all do sometimes) or you already talked about it and I can look it up? 

Edited by Yowha
Terrible spelling correction