Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

CrowFall current FPS/Hitching status

39 minutes ago, APE said:

Guess we'll have to wait and see if Unity was the smart move or not.

Will have to wait and see but lately it seems that unity is never the smart move for any serious game.... Look at escape from tarkov, all developers do there is complain about how hard is unity to work with and optimise :(

However unity should be a more fit engine to projects like crowfall.

1 hour ago, srathor said:

Is there any way to cull many of the light sources when the siege window kicks off? We had a ton of people at the last siege window on infected and it was a slideshow again. Saturday night is the next window, Ace should show up and experience it. 

Yeah they should haha

Most recent patch introduced lower FPS and hitching for me again

Edited by yianni
On 6/3/2020 at 10:11 AM, yianni said:

This game will not succeed if this is the case. If you expect to do beta invites in the thousands, even if 1/3 of that population comes the fights will be larger and people will leave and never look back.

I totally agree, unfortunately I don't think there is 1 MMO that has launched successfully. Including classic with a mega loaded DEV team and a multi-billion dollar corporation behind them. For whatever reason teams don't think there is as big of a community waiting for that next big mmo. When casuals login for the first time and get an un-optimized game they will log out and on to the next game. (mmo's need casuals just as much as a hardcore base some may even say more)  This has been the problem MMO's face horrible launch days with a lot of disconnects and waiting for a queue to login,  then comes the login server crashing message. I'm sure we have all been there. The game as it is right now i think is great, sure there will always be patches for glitches and balancing but I agree with fixing optimization.

The frame time hitching problem is vastly improved in very recent patches. It was very bad particularly with loading models & anims.

What is still likely to cause a hitch is running with less than 16GB ram, where the game is likely to page out assets. Seems to take up to 10GB on my system.

There may still be some edge cases where you enter a new parcel and certain assets load.

What you can do on your end is cap your frame rate and vsync, so Unity doesn't try to run up max cpu trying to render as many frames as it can. This will also help with frame times.

The frame drop due to many players or large scale combat is very likely a CPU bound problem, based on some experiments with extremely low graphics settings. In this situation, 1 core is running max, while others are half as busy. I already provided this test/feedback.

Armchair programming: So they've got a single thread that's taking too long blocking the render. Couple ways to improve this, optimize the functions processing the objects, thread the work out to other cores.

If you're an PC builder/enthusiast, you should also know Intel processors are also better at dealing with this particular situation where a single thread is so heavy, since they tend to be capable of pushing single core boosting higher than Ryzen (Turbo Boost / Thermal Velocity Boost / Turbo Core / etc). Granted, whats 10 FPS vs. 12 FPS :)

I don't care what is causing the problem, it just needs fixed before Beta.  Gotta be able to siege a castle without slideshow or people won't wanna play.    The main reason I hear from people that are not playing the game right now is the FPS slide show.

People quit playing because of the performance and it's hard to get them to try it again when they ask "Is the FPS issue fixed?" and all you can say is "Well....Sort of"

1 hour ago, DarnHippy said:

I don't care what is causing the problem, it just needs fixed before Beta.  Gotta be able to siege a castle without slideshow or people won't wanna play.    The main reason I hear from people that are not playing the game right now is the FPS slide show.

People quit playing because of the performance and it's hard to get them to try it again when they ask "Is the FPS issue fixed?" and all you can say is "Well....Sort of"

Yea thats why we're not advertising it to the rest of the guild haha

6 hours ago, ComradeAma said:

It is pretty clear now that FPS drops after any big fight to 30. Restarting client gets it back to 60. So there is some huge stability issue atm.

The problem is even worse. Log to an EK with 9 friends to run a 5v5. Watch your fps before starting the fight. Run the fight and then watch your fps ... You don't need 30v30 to see that there is a performance problem after any fight. But like you said, restart the client to refresh your fps.

On 6/4/2020 at 2:17 PM, Aedius said:

well it's hard to compare a game in alpha and a game after launch on the performance side ...
They just start optimizing in Crowfall

you wrong in 2018 fights in Crowfall feels better  without new controller and "optimization"

Just now, tqd392 said:

you wrong in 2018 fights in Crowfall feels better  without new controller and "optimization"

And with only 20% of the effects ;)

On 6/5/2020 at 11:23 AM, Nunkuruji said:

The frame drop due to many players or large scale combat is very likely a CPU bound problem, based on some experiments with extremely low graphics settings. In this situation, 1 core is running max, while others are half as busy. I already provided this test/feedback.

Armchair programming: So they've got a single thread that's taking too long blocking the render. Couple ways to improve this, optimize the functions processing the objects, thread the work out to other cores.

Its an issue with how server and clients interact. No amount of user hardware upgrades will solve the problem, this can be helped in a couple ways. Reduce the communications/checks between client and server allowing rampant hacking or dump Unity, both will give the best results. 

MMO's and games in general have a lot of dependencies, this is why high single core speed is so important. On the other hand working with video editing, multitasking, running concurrent programs, ect are all great for multicore/thread. imho comparable AMD chips are 10% better with multithread/core applications and 10% slower with gaming. 

I have a 1080 ti, i7-8700k, and play on 2560x1440 resolution.  In most open world wandering I get around 45-60 FPS. This is really bad, since in most games I get normally around 80-120.

In the large pvp fights in this game I get absolutely no more than 15 fps. This is absolutely not acceptable in my mind and such a shame since this could be such a fun game.  I'd be ok if this game looked graphically demanding, but it doesn't look like anything that special. I even run the game on medium settings with nothing special like AA enabled.