Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Poposhka

Why Did I Stop Playing?

I have watched the material and interviews out there about CF, and I am very excited. In fact, I haven't been this excited about a game in a long time. The vision and ideas of the CF team is very fresh and interesting.

So I'd like to pop by the suggestion box and tell a tale about why I stopped playing all these other games I've played in the past, and I will use World of Warcraft as an example.

WoW had an amazing vision at its conception, a vision that they were able to bring to life, and lived up to it quite well. Years and expansions went by, and suddenly something in that vision changed. The only explanation i have is that the vision became "Appease everyone, bring everyone in, expand the user base, make more money.". This happened around Cataclysm, and it made me stop playing.

But I can't fault them for that. Money makes the world go 'round. New projects to fund, developers, CEOs, and shareholders have to be paid. I understand this. The game changed from something I loved, to something I couldn't stand playing, but it struck me, I am not the target demographic anymore. They felt that they didn't need to cater to me anymore. Players like me were too few, the potential user base out there, enormous.

Now, I'm not trying to warn or threaten you, Team Crow, because for every vision you choose to go with, you will always have fans. What I'm trying to convey is that your vision as it stands today is bold, unique, and amazing. I'm not saying I think that this vision will make you 11 million subscribers, but I'm feel that you fill a small but important gap in gaming with it.

One of the things that happened in WoW, in my opinion, is the "over polish", or, loss of balance between polish and dumbing-down. I have been playing a lot of so-called "private servers" of the first three incarnations of Wow (Vanilla, TBC, Wrath), and it is fascinating to see how the balance between polish and dumbing-down started tilting into the latter's favor. Vanilla was a rough experience, not just because of its unforgiving nature, but due to bugs, crappy user interface, etc. As things got more polished, and deloused, it seemed like the mantra became "more polish is always better". I believe this is wrong. If you shine a gold plated knob enough, the tin starts peeking through.

What I'm talking about is dumbing-down. By the last 3 expansions (Cataclysm, Pandaria, Draenor), the game feels like (yes, I admit, i kept going back for the trial offers) it's main goal is for instant gratification, as if it was the natural extension of polish. Coming back to the game for 10 days the other month was painful. The goal of the game is clearly not to offer you any challenge at all, it is about filling your bags with colorful loot, and showering you with achievements, minipets, mounts, etc. I absolutely understand that there are many many players customers out there who love this vision of a game, but I felt ... disenfranchised. As petty as it might sound.

Another example was the progression of dungeons. In the beginning, dungeons were difficult - you needed to be on the same page, you needed good cooperation. Mistakes were costly. Then, I think it was about in Wrath, dungeons started to become "loot pinatas". My first inclination to quit came around that time, when I found myself running the same heroic dungeons over, and over, and over. No talking, no planning, just plow through mindlessly, repeatedly. And things only got worse in later expansions.

Anyway, where I'm going with this is: When you have a vision where you think "I think this should present a challenge to a player", and someone says "But more people like this to be easier". I want you to consider why you wanted that vision in the first place - did you want to appease everyone? Maybe you did, but what was your original intent?

Don't let this game become "Press A to win"

It wouldn't be much of a strategic pvp game if press A to win was the way to victory. Just saying.

Good thing attacks aren't cone/aoe based.. oh wait........

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

One of the things that happened in WoW, in my opinion, is the "over polish", or, loss of balance between polish and dumbing-down. I have been playing a lot of so-called "private servers" of the first three incarnations of Wow (Vanilla, TBC, Wrath), and it is fascinating to see how the balance between polish and dumbing-down started tilting into the latter's favor

I am against over polish

darn pols with their broche, pierogi, and kaloches!!

its all potatoes and cabbage, and some sort of sausage!!

I say hell no to the over polish!...with their thick legged  round women and cold weather!!

take that ...ya darn eastern euros!!

Ya don't belong with the cool sophisticated sexy western euros like the French!

Back to the USSR with you  :P

I kid...I cant hate Poland...Home of my gramps. :wub:

Know me and fear me. My embrace is for all and is patient but sure. The dead can always find you. My hand is everywhere - there is no door I cannot pass, nor guardian who can withstand me.

694a6f04-03a1-4af3-8e11-ddd1baa87348.jpg

Now, I'm not trying to warn or threaten you, Team Crow, because for every vision you choose to go with, you will always have fans. What I'm trying to convey is that your vision as it stands today is bold, unique, and amazing. I'm not saying I think that this vision will make you 11 million subscribers, but I'm feel that you fill a small but important gap in gaming with it.

This is the part that I wholeheartedly agree with.

Edited by verge83

Don't let this game become "Press A to win"

Everyone knows it's Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A!

I agree, but I started WoW 3 months before Wrath came out.  I missed it all but managed to get my Dreadsteed. Now, you hit 20/40 and you get it, with no effort. Shame really.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

I agree. It's what makes many MMOs fail is that they think that to be successful they need to be as big as WoW and have 11 mil subs. No, what they need is to do what they do right and keep their vision true. There are enough players in the world to enjoy your game and keep you profitable.

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

-Someone important said that but I can't tell you who because I'll lose credibility.

Well that's ok, you can't please everyone.

Z9y3Otb.png

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure is trying to please everybody"

-Someone important said that but I can't tell you who because I'll lose credibility.

Ah, Bill Cosby. A right lunatic, but he wasn't wrong.