Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archiebunker82

Camelot Unchained Vs. Crowfall

I believe both titles can survive in the todays market of MMOs. They're not mutually exclusive and both titles have, at least in my opinion, their respective contributions to an otherwise pretty stagnant genre.

This typical X vs Z mentality doesn't help anyone, both games are different enough to exist alongside eachother.

"Grateful Dead, rock's longest, strangest trip."
ytpSwxP.png

These Eternal kingdoms siege able? our just a player housing system for guilds to flaunt?

Currently no, but there was a note this morning regarding plans to allow leaders of EK realms to elect to fight it out.

Here has been my rule of thumb:

Can I log in, be bored, and decide to kill my AFK guildmates? If yes -- this is a pvp game. If not, it's a compromise I'm not interested in.

You do realize that crowfall's kingdoms" are essentially servers with specific ruleset right? There will be a faction one, a ffa one etc.. etc..  How long exactly does a true FFA pvp server last ? 

I believe both titles can survive in the todays market of MMOs. They're not mutually exclusive and both titles have, at least in my opinion, their respective contributions to an otherwise pretty stagnant genre.

This typical X vs Z mentality doesn't help anyone, both games are different enough to exist alongside eachother.

This. I am happy they are developing CU and I am happy of development of CF. Both are games that MMO market needs, and they don't necessarily compete on the same market. You could classify all PvP players to same market but that's like stating all people who drink coca-cola are of same market group.

Can't the two co-exist and flourish, much like DAoC and SB did back in the days?

You do realize that crowfall's kingdoms" are essentially servers with specific ruleset right? There will be a faction one, a ffa one etc.. etc..  How long exactly does a true FFA pvp server last ? 

I am aware. Guilds like mine and likeminded fellows will be hanging out with the Lords of the Dregs.

Untitled_zpsjrvzldjp.png

Fugger of Fuggington - Shadowbane

SkippyBojangle - PS4

I would have agreed with you, until Warhammer Online.

And i would of agreed with you, until star wars galaxies.

See?

Koster and Walton blame sony pushing them to release on SW:G which wasn't ready.

And Jacobs blames EA for pushing them to release warhammer and cut the 3rd faction.

So i guess you just to choose to believe koster and walton but not Jacobs?

I am not a fan boy of either, i have 150 invested in this game and 180 into CU.  Let the chips fall where they may

Edited by willwill

All legacy major pvp guilds will be playing both I'm almost certain..  From projected delivery dates it will be 6 months apart anyways.. 

There no need for which one is better discussions as it's a load of poorly made socks until the game is released and judgement will be made then.. 

Edited by artkil

Please nerf paper, Scissors are fine!
Signed rock..

So got a little money left over after paying the bills this month and looking to get into a new game ( Arche age failed me, so is Albion ) I'm looking at the two games listed above was just kinda wondering what everyone feel is on the two? I'm sure everyone is bias being its a crowfall forum but i'm bored at home and just thought it might spark some chatter.

Camelot Unchained:

Pros:

• Large Permanent near-seamlesss worlds.
  • Open world pvp from the get-go.
  • Practically no pve (outside of killing mobs for hides and stuff).
  • Sieges.
  • Housing / build your own little city.
  • Strong focus on crafting.
  • Combat / Spell / Ability system is extremely ambitious
  • Intricate character customization (a few of these are actually similar to crowfall, especially the whole boon/bane mechanic).

Cons:

• The game might look like bottom in comparison to crowfall
  • They're building a large chunk of the engine from scratch, and that is/has set them back quite a bit in comparison to potentially CF (that has been in development for a shorter time, and will enter alpha some time this summer).
  • They're using the old trinity system (for some this might be a positive, but I think it's a negative).
  • A lot of the stuff they propose is very ambitious, some more so than even CF. It's hurt them in some ways I believe.
  • 3 way faction based * (might be a plus for some).

Crowfall

Pros:

• Character customization seems to be intricate and extremely diverse.
  • Action combat (camelot feels more towards the traditional side, but that might change).
  • Many servers with different pvp rule sets.
  • Worlds reset, so the status quo is always changing and the servers never become stagnant.
  • Voxels (blow poorly made socks up, make poorly made socks).
  • It's running on the Unreal 4 engine, so they're already ahead of the curve.
  • Sieges
  • Multi-Objective PvP.
  • Strong emphasis on crafting, economy, and bartering.
  • Make your own "kingdom" change the rules to how you see fit.

Cons:

• Worlds reset / only semi-permanent.
  • Multiple servers with different rulesets might fragment the community.
  • Gender locked / race locked classes.
  • Minimal healing (whatever this means).
  • I'm sure there's some other stuff, but I forgot and I'm tired.

Camelot had a really shaky Kickstarter. Presented half-baked (and in some cases non-existent) ideas, and had virtually nothing tangible to show that the game existed or could existed. MJ promised to put 1 million in to the game only if the kickstarter succeed (in contrast, Jtodd and Gordon have a 2+ million dollar investment / loan already in to the game, and are asking for drastically less money).

Edited by Helix

Camelot Unchained in crowdfunding for how long?  Still looks like a bad EQ1? Vaporwear imo, and i feel bad for the individuals that have already felt the need to purchase in game real estate for literally.. THOUSANDS of dollars.

Thank you Helix thats kinda what i was looking for.. After doing some reading and looking at videos i have decided to back Cf with  the Sapphire. So i look forward to gaming with everyone in the future.

you based a 425$ investment on 4.5 minutes of reading forum posts....

You know.. ive ALSO got this cool idea that ive been cooking up.. it just needs a little bit of your money!!...

Camelot Unchained:

Pros:

• Large Permanent near-seamlesss worlds.
  • Open world pvp from the get-go.
  • Practically no pve (outside of killing mobs for hides and stuff).
  • Sieges.
  • Housing / build your own little city.
  • Strong focus on crafting.
  • Combat / Spell / Ability system is extremely ambitious
  • Intricate character customization (a few of these are actually similar to crowfall, especially the whole boon/bane mechanic).

Cons:

• The game might look like bottom in comparison to crowfall
  • They're building a large chunk of the engine from scratch, and that is/has set them back quite a bit in comparison to potentially CF (that has been in development for a shorter time, and will enter alpha some time this summer).
  • They're using the old trinity system (for some this might be a positive, but I think it's a negative).
  • A lot of the stuff they propose is very ambitious, some more so than even CF. It's hurt them in some ways I believe.
  • 3 way faction based * (might be a plus for some).

Crowfall

Pros:

• Character customization seems to be intricate and extremely diverse.
  • Action combat (camelot feels more towards the traditional side, but that might change).
  • Many servers with different pvp rule sets.
  • Worlds reset, so the status quo is always changing and the servers never become stagnant.
  • Voxels (blow poorly made socks up, make poorly made socks).
  • It's running on the Unreal 4 engine, so they're already ahead of the curve.
  • Sieges
  • Multi-Objective PvP.
  • Strong emphasis on crafting, economy, and bartering.
  • Make your own "kingdom" change the rules to how you see fit.

Cons:

• Worlds reset / only semi-permanent.
  • Multiple servers with different rulesets might fragment the community.
  • Gender locked / race locked classes.
  • Minimal healing (whatever this means).
  • I'm sure there's some other stuff, but I forgot and I'm tired.

Camelot had a really shaky Kickstarter. Presented half-baked (and in some cases non-existent) ideas, and had virtually nothing tangible to show that the game existed or could existed. MJ promised to put 1 million in to the game only if the kickstarter succeed (in contrast, Jtodd and Gordon have a 2+ million dollar investment / loan already in to the game, and are asking for drastically less money).

Hoping for both games to succeed, but just wanted to point out that a lot of the pros and cons listed are quite subjective, and some are still unknowns. CU's home made engine could prove a boon if it can manage 500 players on screen and CF only 50. Of course, if it doesn't work or CF's solution acheives this level of performance, then yes it could be wastred time.

Also to set the record straight, MJ did put $2m alone of his own money, +$1m from other investors. Yes it was subject to the KS succeeding, but don't forget that JT and Gordon have already raised $2m or $3m of equity last year!

I really rooted for a SB 2.0 as I never had the chance of playing the first, but I'll probably wait till the last minute to see if i support CF (more info on how campaign work. It would be annoying if losing sides stop playing. A bit how a Path of Exile campaign has a lot of players the first month and very little on the last month). Also I am not fond of action style play, but recognise the need for action play to be represented in the market.

It's pretty simple choice for me overall if everything fleshes out like it is supposed to be.

1. Camelot Unchained has CC , This is huge for group vs group pvp, especially roaming pvp vs the zerg.

2. Camelot Unchained will have "speed classes" speed classes are one of the required reagents to roaming 8 man types of pvp, that made daoc so enjoyable by hardcore pvp'ers.

3. Slower old school combat, positionals etc..

4. ZONE WIDE KILL SPAM.. yep just like Daoc

5. Keep sieges, build your own homes, destroy someone elses.

6. Darkness fall's sequel "The depths"

7. Player bounty system.

8.  In house engine and from what i've seen... it's a lot better than some give it credit for. Andrew the programmer has done some insane things with it

9. Old school class balance, including healers who can target and heal their allies, because they enjoy being the best of the best healers, think to yourself, do you remember a good healer from a game you played 5-10 years ago? i bet you do ,. i can rattle off 3-4 amazing pvp healers.

and i'll stop at 10.

10. Someone compared how good crowfall looked.. was this a joke?  CU is much more realistic looking.

CU isn't trying to hype their game right now. When it hits beta, you'll get to see it, they already had a succesful kickstarter, so i wouldn't call it "shaky"  they raised over 2 million dollars.. if that's shaky, please sign me up!

My concerns with CU is that they won't fulfill what i want, which in terms of CC  :  i want long duration mez's etc.. and the speed class, eg.. everyone can run fast. If that happens, it'll be a clusterfk... But we are promised certain classes have speed only. So hopefully that sticks. I don't care if that means you sit and wait 10 mins for a "skald" or "bard" to log in, it's a requirement for roaming pvp

Edited by willwill

Why not both?

The winner of more PVP MMOs is the genre from devs to players and both of these games are different enough to enjoy each one for entirely different reasons. 

Edited by Tierless

I role play a wordsmith.

My only problem with Camelot Unchained is this:

We're not ~40 days into the reveal and KS debut of Crowfall. We know the archetype names. We know the world maps. We know about voxels. Pricing. Server rulesets. We even have combat footage of both sieges and single character combat. 

We're over a year into the Camelot Unchained reveal, and we just now are learning what the spell system is like. 

Between the two, I feel like Crowfall was worked on well in advance. The planning was done. The ideas were already put into place. Camelot Unchained, I feel like, was MJ and Andrew getting together, then brainstorming as these ideas advanced. There was nothing really to go on in the KS other than "this is the way it'll be, maybe, we can't promise things. We'll discuss it with our backers". It's almost as if MJ was burned so badly before during his hyping of Warhammer, that he's gone the anti-hype route and doesn't want to unveil anything. 

“We understand how dangerous a mask can be. We all become what we pretend to be.”