Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tepid

Concerning Character Creation Customization (Alliteration Ftw)

Something I haven't seen here is discussion on the character creation visuals (please feel free to link if there is a large thread I missed).  It sounds like ACE is really limiting the facial/body customization at the character creation stage.  I really hope they address this more than they have to this point.  I was hoping they'd clarify with this reveal, but it still seems like a footnote.

One of the biggest draws to having a persistent character in MMOs is that it's yours--you've created it, and it's unique.  I'd be really disappointed if the customization extends to selecting from a group of 5 different faces and 10 different hairstyles.   This is what it sounds like they're going for right now though.

Suggestion: ACE - please elaborate on your plans for character creation.

Thank you!

Tepid (Backer)

Yes, more info about this would be wonderful. Though I can't say I've gotten quite the same impressions regarding limitations to the customization options as you have (but maybe I've missed something) it's always nice to know a bit about what level of customization we can expect.

I expect they'll let us know more about it in future Kickstarter updates but it's always nice to get a conversation started and see what kind of stuff people want.

P.S. Kudos on the alliteration.

I'm wondering if it's being limited for combat reasons. I know in TERA each race has different hitbox sizes, different skill reach, different animation times, etc. which really plays into combat. Considering races will have different stats and features already, I'm wondering if they'll do something similar here. I mean if you just let people make a small Centaur or a huge Guinea pig, that would really mess things up in a game with physics, collision, and action combat where all of that relies upon the size, shape, weight, etc. of the player model.

I'm wondering if it's being limited for combat reasons. I know in TERA each race has different hitbox sizes, different skill reach, different animation times, etc. which really plays into combat. Considering races will have different stats and features already, I'm wondering if they'll do something similar here. I mean if you just let people make a small Centaur or a huge Guinea pig, that would really mess things up in a game with physics, collision, and action combat where all of that relies upon the size, shape, weight, etc. of the player model.

Yep, thought about that too! Hopefully they keep hitboxes normalized though...

Since they were trying to spread their money as far as they could before launching the kickstarter, I would be thinking the character customization will get a large overhaul closer to the betas, IMO.

Yep, thought about that too! Hopefully they keep hitboxes normalized though...

As much as I liked playing tiny races in TERA, I have to agree with that. Created imbalances and also made certain races far more popular. Although in a game with race locked classes, I wonder if a few imbalances aren't actually a bad thing.

Edited by leiloni

It's good to have customisation but for me it's gameplay all the way...I'm not too bothered with any possible lack of customisation. 

I agree if there is an absolute trade off between the ever vague "gameplay" and facial/body customization, I'd go with gameplay ten times out of ten, but I reject that those two pillars are in competition with each other.  It seems more like they're interested in customization, but that they are heavily leaning toward gear customization rather than face/body features.

Edited by Tepid

If classes are race (and gender, for the beast races) locked, then I definitely want more customization options, especially face, hairstyle and makeup/features/warpaint/beards. I really hate finding someone else looking exactly like me in an MMO. If my character can feel unique skillwise, why not visually too?

A game like this, where you use an avatar to carve your way into the world to achieve fame and dominance REALLY needs to have the option to design how your avatar looks. The lack of character customization is what will REALLY kill this game for me right now. We've been given so many interesting options, but as far as we know there will be very little in the way of representing how you (or for roleplayers, how your character) might look.

They did state that there will be visual customization options.  I'll see if I can dig it up but I don't recall where I saw it...  just remember seeing it.

Edit:  Okay, I guess it wasn't that hard.  It's on the KS page:

"Though each role is initially balanced for distinct specializations, players will have MANY ways to customize their hero's stats, appearance, abilities and gear!"

Though, maybe I'm reading too into "appearance"?

Edited by rhone

They did state that there will be visual customization options.  I'll see if I can dig it up but I don't recall where I saw it...  just remember seeing it.

Edit:  Okay, I guess it wasn't that hard.  It's on the KS page:

"Though each role is initially balanced for distinct specializations, players will have MANY ways to customize their hero's stats, appearance, abilities and gear!"

Though, maybe I'm reading too into "appearance"?

My point is really more that they haven't gone into any sort of detail with that aspect, and the rare instances that ACE has said appearance customization, it's been very quickly brushed over.  That's the reason I'm skeptical about the depth that they're implementing that kind of customization.

Fair, but there are many many many things they haven't gone into with much depth.  I don't think it's fair to just assume lack of said things simply due to lack of information.

I HOPE they allow a decent amount of customization, but if not...  well...  the Templar is very close to how I'd make my character anyhow.

Edit: I would also love to hear more, but I'd rather have more information on resource gathering and crafting and Eternal Kingdoms than character customization.

Edited by rhone

It was stated that there would be more character customization, but they opted to showcase the various races and archetypes instead of only a few with different appearances, etc. I would like to see a set of examples though (let's say a Human Knight for ease) that showcases different outfits / armor / weapons / etc. to give a feel for how characters will look as they progress.

It was stated that there would be more character customization, but they opted to showcase the various races and archetypes instead of only a few with different appearances, etc. I would like to see a set of examples though (let's say a Human Knight for ease) that showcases different outfits / armor / weapons / etc. to give a feel for how characters will look as they progress.

I remember reading that statement, i got the impression that refered mainly to the armor the heroes where wearing.

To answer OP's thread :

I must agree i have concerns aswell regarding customization. It did sound like the planned customization options for Crowfall, would be quite limited.

Faces, Hairstyles - facial hair? ( Cant recall if that was mentioned. ) and then the armor you craft/find.

But what about, scars? Tatoos? Skin colours?

I guess one of my bigger fears, is that character customization will be incredibly limited in its choices, thus making your immortal avatar ( Who mostlikely will be racelocked ) look excactly like 40% of the other Knights, Druids, Duelists and so forth..

I guess one of my bigger fears, is that character customization will be incredibly limited in its choices, thus making your immortal avatar ( Who mostlikely will be racelocked ) look excactly like 40% of the other Knights, Druids, Duelists and so forth..

That is a reasonable fear. I do hope that there is enough time / energy put into the character customization to make them semi-unique beyond armor appearance. I'm not too concerned that ACE will drop the ball on this, but I am interested in what they'll showcase regarding this.

A lot of it will be determined by how many many polygons their models can sustain in order to flow with as many other players in the same area. I would love to see much greater details as well and believe we will over time. It honestly will come down to balancing system resources with performance and getting those dialed in to the balance they are looking for.

Okay, finally.  I managed to find where I saw the good information in this subject, then I lost the thread.  Then I found the thread, but lost the information.  I finally have both!

https://crowfall.com/#/faq/54e9501e93fc8d634e4d690c

4. Can the character appearances be customized?

Yes. We will offer the ability to customize your character (hair styles, color and face) in Character Creation. Further customization can be done in-game, by collecting equipment.

Edited by rhone

If our only options are hair style, color, and face customization, I hope we have many options for each.  It's already been said, but I find it quite important to have a character that looks different, especially in an MMO.

If they want to spice up their VIP incentives, they could always add to their customization as a perk for being a VIP. Sure, not everyone wants to subscribe, but I'm certain that people would be willing to pay for a month or two if they really care about their character looking the way they want their character to look.  This way people who care about their appearance are happy, people who don't care won't feel like they're losing out on anything important, and the game also receives financial support.

Character options are processor expensive. It is a lot easier to render 100 identical models than it is to render 100 different ones. Personally, I couldn't care less about visual customization. I never have. In most MMOs I end up looking like everyone else anyway, what with gear optimization working the way it does. If I had to pick between larger battles, and being able to pick what face I have, I'll pick the battles every day of the week. 

2G8o9A7.gif

The Otter King of Pax Maelstrom