Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
tepid

Concerning Character Creation Customization (Alliteration Ftw)

there was some speculation about this, and ACE did respond by saying that it better to make 2-3 archetypes for the kickstarter, rather than 1 archetype with 2 different armorsets. Thats the reasoning behind not seeing actual character customization.  So we might see more later about how additional armorsets are gonna look like, and ofc hairstyles etc.

I also am worried that the characters will all look the same.

My solutions

1) Release the current head 3d model art and textures and make it available to the public to modify and customize. Hold a contest to create an additional 10 or 20 characters heads/faces. Winners might receive 6 months or a year of VIP access or something.

2) Have a slider for height and weight for all characters. If I want to create a morbidly obese crafter, let me.

No other MMO I've played has truly given me the ability to make an original looking character. This game has a chance to fix that.

I want a pompadour.
No. Two pompadours!
One that's moderate, reasonable and kinda realistic. And the other is cranked up to 12, a giant obnoxious pompadour for a giant obnoxious character.

Edited by Psyentific

Hardcore gamer & tabletop enthusiast. Enjoys roleplaying, pretending to be stupid, and one-sided fun.

Goodposting 101: How to Keep the Forums Clean

I also am worried that the characters will all look the same.

Why?  There has already been proof showing that we can customize.  Maybe not to the degree of City of Heroes, but still some.  I definitely hope for more than just a few different options though.  And there are (have been) many MMOs that allow you to change your character looks to the umpteeth degree.  Have you just not played many MMOs?

And Psy, the first one looks like it's cranked up to 12 as much as the other.

About the only clue I've seen to character creation is that certain race/archetype combinations will be restricted. This suggests that we have SOME degree of control over our characters traits, if only by picking race and archetype.

That said, this is something that concerns me greatly. I'm one of those people who NEEDS some RP elements, and the depth of character creation is a make or break factor in this regard. If the character creation is too shallow, I'm very likely to walk, as I hate playing as a stock model that is supposed to represent me in a world I'm trying to immerse in. This is what did it in for me and Hand of Fate. The game looked great for a casual experience, but allowed for no character customization for an avatar that was supposed to represent me in a universe. In the end, it just bothered me too much and I backed out of it.

I just need that level of self-expression to project myself on when I play a game. Something relatable that helps me to immerse myself into the game world. It also would have to go beyond just hair options and stock faces. It doesn't have to be on the level of City of Heroes, but more than just WoW and their mix and match of stock faces that all look alike. GW2 was pretty in depth without going overboard, though would've appreciated more body types. ESO's character creation was also really great, though with the stylized design of Crowfall, not sure that level of design would fit here (such a thing as being too detailed, not sure if that aesthetic would be compatible here)

Edited by RKNM

Character customization is important to me.  Heck, I can spend hours and hours getting my character just right, given sufficiently detailed options.  That said, I'd be happy with fewer options available at launch, if more detailed customization and more options were made available at a later date.  Just don't start us with three faces and four hair colors as the only options.

Since the game uses Voxels, doesn't that mean the characters can be made of Voxels, too?  Would that allow for easier customization, or does it only cause more issues?  Just wondering, as I am not very familiar with the technology.  Could be interesting if characters were as destructible as the rest of the world though.