Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gothamgurl

The 5.125 Update to Live WILL require a wipe

Hello Crows,

We wanted to confirm that with the 5.125 Update to Live we WILL need to do a wipe of characters, and items + bank. As a reminder, we have the TEST environment set up with free infinite resources right now. In advance of taking 5.125 to LIVE, we would really appreciate your help testing the stability, features and performance improvements of the new version currently on TEST.

We try to avoid wipes whenever possible, but the upcoming update had enough changes to the underlying systems and data tables that it was, unfortunately, required. We look forward to your feedback on the upcoming release of update 5.125, which has several of the requested Quality of Life improvements you have been asking for, so be sure to check it out: 
- Extra abilities slot on the Power Bar!
- Increased Drop Rate of Minor Disciplines
- Higher quantities available, “buying in bulk”, at the food vendors in Temples
- Significant performance optimizations
- New and updated Victory Cards
- New types of Strongholds
- Combined NA / EU Siege Schedule

Thanks again for your support!

Posted (edited)

All for whatever happens I totally understand its Alpha phase and everything will get wiped eventually but why does there need to be a wipe for a patch? Assuming ACE continues pushing content during beta and live phases of the game will there have to be a wipe for every patch?

Edited by Sirktivo

18 minutes ago, Sirktivo said:

All for whatever happens I totally understand its Alpha phase and everything will get wiped eventually but why does there need to be a wipe for a patch? Assuming ACE continues pushing content during beta and live phases of the game will there have to be a wipe for every patch?

It's not specified in the post, but they are not wiping the passive skill trees.  Only characters and items.

@Sirktivo  Good question Sirktivo, 
This is more a function of the development process while we are still making significant changes to underlying systems and data. 
That will not be the case (and we will make sure that does not happen!) after we launch. So, try to bear with us as we keep 
moving forward to that final release! 

I am a software ware engineer. I work with databases quite a bit. Writing a script to convert formats in a database table is not that difficult. I kicked started the game many years ago but never played beyond one week 2 years ago. With the alpha announcement I felt could finally join in the testing. I knew a wipe would come with beta. Wiping all the effort put into the first 3 dregs though is too much after just 2 months of alpha. ArtCraft is showing me they don't have the software engineering skill to do simple things. I knew things did not look promising when saw they run my GPU at 99% and 6 core CPU at 40% when on a passive skill tree in the lobby of the game where only simple graphics are being displayed. Basic software engineering skill is lacking.

@Pendan

First, thank you for backing the game! 
I understand your frustration with wipes. Sometimes, significant design changes do require a wipe regardless of database changes. 
Other times, it is the best course of action and a more expedient process. For context, our priority is moving the game to launch as quickly as possible, at quality, and that can factor into these decisions. 

Right now, our goal is getting the game to a balanced and quality experience for our players, so from time-to-time we will have wipes. 
The good news is that we are seeing gains in both gameplay balance and quality as well as in performance with each update. 
So, we do ask our players who are willing to help us playtest, to understand this will be part of the process. 

Thanks for your support!

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Pendan said:

I am a software ware engineer. I work with databases quite a bit. Writing a script to convert formats in a database table is not that difficult.

But time consuming. Do we want the game to be released as soon as possible with devs focusing on the priority tasks or we want the best possible Alpha testing experience? My first wipe was painful too, but this one is probably 10th one and I feel nothing. Just get to the idea that you are playing the game in the testing stage, which wants to get to the release as soon as possible without spending time on the complex migraitons.

Edited by ComradeAma

12 minutes ago, ComradeAma said:

My first wipe was painful too, but this one is probably 10th one and I feel nothing. 

This isn't a great thing at all, I could give you 100s of analogies for why just going with it until you become numb is a HORRIBLE idea but I won't. 

Again understand that the game is going to get wiped and all that, but isn't alpha the best time to test if you could do a huge patch that changes so many systems and see how it fits? I will go to when the game hits live and there will be things that need a huge patch or hot-fix and the answer cant be lets just wipe. Because when live is here people aren't going to be on their "(insert whatever number wipe)" and just be numb. Most will be on their first (and most likely only) and stop playing which would be a huge hit. I'm sure we all love the game and want to play it but if the community is dwindled by see able missteps it could be detrimental to the population. 

Not saying that the team hasn't worked their tales off because it shows from live to test that you guys have been. I just think that its the easier answer to wipe inventory/characters then push past the bumps now instead of live.

How can you balance the game and get a quality experience based on a few hundred players active in your campaigns? You have no idea how your game is going to hold up to the very first wave a 5000 beta testers.

Here is an example. In this last campaign a guild brought 25 players and tried to assault a fort with rank 10 guards by hitting the walls by hand and charging in. It failed and complaints about overpowered guards were posted. 2 days later they are jumping the walls with a small group and taking out a shrine during non siege hours with very few players around despite the level 10 guards. 4 days later they come with 33 players (plus 3 chars to press a button every 40 seconds) with lots of siege engines and they are successful despite a larger number of opponents defending. I believe they had mostly green vessels and it was a no import campaign with still early in the passive crafting tree. How are rank 10 guards going to hold up to 50 players in purple vessels with purple crafted gear? How is a guild going to be able to rank up the guards when are 50 hostile opponents in the zone at all times?

How are you going to get enough testers to find these things out without committing to doing things to keep players around? The best advice I can give all the people I play with in other games is try the game out now but don't commit to playing it full time. Learn the systems and classes even though subject to major changes. This is a complicated game so could take a few weeks. Then after a few weeks just maintain your passive tree by logging in for a few minutes every week. Play on the test server after every patch to keep up with changes. When the developers commit to no more wipes until beta then you can come back and will be back up to speed pretty fast.

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Sirktivo said:

isn't alpha the best time to test if you could do a huge patch that changes so many systems and see how it fits?

If you want to prove to someone that you can do that, then you would do that, but if you know you can, you will save time until it is really required.

Edited by ComradeAma

8 minutes ago, Sirktivo said:

Again understand that the game is going to get wiped and all that, but isn't alpha the best time to test if you could do a huge patch that changes so many systems and see how it fits?

Perhaps they rewrote whole sections of coding and did not want to take the time and manpower to make it backward compatible? I cant see leaving old code in just to avoid wipes during alpha.

11 minutes ago, ComradeAma said:

If you want to prove to someone that you can do that, then you would do that, but if you know you can, you will save time until it is really required.

I hope for the sake of the game this is true and its not found out that its a lot harder and the game is live.

9 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

Perhaps they rewrote whole sections of coding and did not want to take the time and manpower to make it backward compatible? I cant see leaving old code in just to avoid wipes during alpha.

This could be true, I wish we had access to the github (understandable why we don't though). I again have seen games change their basic mechanics (star wars galaxies) and not need to wipe. 

I'm done just wanted to voice my opinion. I will get off the soap box now.

4 minutes ago, Sirktivo said:

I hope for the sake of the game this is true and its not found out that its a lot harder and the game is live.

Totally understandable. I hope you'll get more confidence in ACE as you follow CF development.

5 minutes ago, Sirktivo said:

I again have seen games change their basic mechanics (star wars galaxies) and not need to wipe. 

Btw, you will be surprised to know that one of two CF founders, Gordon (@Tyrant here), was executive producer for SWG.

Wipes are a good thing, because you practice your sprints for when the game comes out.

Whats priority when beta comes? or release?

Do you get combat toons to lvl30 and harvest? Do you get crafters lvled? harvesters? poorly made dergs like that

Posted (edited)

What does the @ sign in front of names do? Is it just visual to make it easier for people to see and catch the message or does it actually somehow let the person know you messaged them?

Edited by Kcing
can't spell ot type