Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nikko

Crafting suggestion

Posted (edited)

I have no idea whether this existed in the older versions, but i noticed it in the latest on test, and changing how t he large reroll works, is definitely a problem now.

For this example i am going to use the following, the necromancer has 16 experimentation points and restores an elven arm and a human arm and wants to get max str on each.

So he rolls the human arm first, and can put 10 pips into str, he has 6 left over but nowhere to put them, and begins the experiment. He gets 1 failure, 3 successes and the rest are even better rolls. He then does a polish and it rerolls the 1 failures and two success, giving him a success and 2 great successes.

Now he rolls the elven arm, he can put 10 pips into str, but he MUST put 6 into dex also in order to experiment. When he does this he gets the same rolls on str as he did on the human arm, but he gets 1 crit failure, and 1 failure on the dex rolls, now when he does the polish the game rerolls the the dex crit failure, the dex failure and the str failure. So because  one must use those 6 pips it is actually a detriment to have those extra pips. In the past the large reroll could be used to reroll the worst 5, and then a small reroll for the worst 3 remaining, but now that has been changed. In this case i might not want to do a total reroll, but i should not be penalized for having extra pips to spend.

So to solve this, we need to have the ability to specify where the small reroll will apply, or we need to not be forced to put the 6 pips into a roll we do not desire, or we needthe large reroll back to the way it was.

Without this, it makes crafting vessels potentially even more compicated. In some cases it might be advantageous to craft a vessel of a slightly inferior race, just to be able to have more control over the pips we have to spend, and where rerolls apply.

Edited by Nikko

Yeah, I was actually thinking about this yesterday. I wouldn't want to leave off the remaining pips. That might work for some items, but not for all. I don't think they'll change the large re-roll back to the way it was, either. Previously, it would always improve the item, so it was a requirement to use it when making important stuff. It made embers way too important.

I do agree though that having some control over the polish would be better. We were supposed to get a new crafting UI that shows the status of each pip, not just as they are being rolled, but you could actually look at the pips afterward and know what each roll was. I can't remember if it was color coded or what, but that, along with a way to choose the specific pips you want to polish, would really help. I have no idea if we are going to actually see the new UI by launch. There have been several new designs over the years (projects?) and none have ever made it into the game. Even if we could choose the line we want to polish, if not the individual pips, that would be better. If I'm rolling a specialty seal for crafting, I care a whole lot more about the experimentation than I do the assembly.

Why old system of Large Reroll had to be changed at all?!?

Chaos Embers are so hard to farm that you had to think twice... or even 10 times, before doing that Large Reroll at all.

I have never claimed any leadership positions in DIS. I express my own thoughts and opinions.

My preference would be to able to choose how many pips I use and not be forced into polishing the stat I don't care about. In the Elven Arm example above, I would put 10 into Str and leave Dex with zero pips. Thus ensuring all my polish ends up in the stat I want. It seems counter intuitive for a better trained or geared Crafter to be less able to produce more desirable end results on many recipies than another crafter with exactly 10 pips. 

You want to be able to use all pips because when you're at max skill and hitting 120.8 consistently after a polish you'll be wasting points. 

So best thing is to be able to pick which row you want to reroll. 

Yes, i just dont like the fact that i have to 'waste' part of a reroll on a secondary stat. if they just had a little flaf at the beginning of the line, so you could flag the stat on/off for the reroll, that would work too.