Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
remec

Non-Consensual PvP - Yes Please!!!!

Non-Consensual PvP  

438 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want a game with Non-Consensual PvP?

• Hell Yeah!!!!
    • No Way!!!!

Oh at this point I think most of us are hoping you WILL stick around for the game. Please, let us know where to find you when it's released.

Why how nice and welcoming of you!  Not sure I like the company, tbh.

Not quite carebear, but sort of cousin to,

meh, grumpy old lady...

Never underestimate grumpy old ladies.

Why how nice and welcoming of you! Not sure I like the company, tbh.

Then stop posting about how you want to interpret a FB comment to mean this game is what you want. It is NOT a solo non-PvP game.

nAd1VPD.png

"Agelmar is King of the Hypocrites and Ruler of the Kingdom of Hypocrytia"

I think the best thing is, and this is coming from a UO vet who felt like Trammel ruined the game, is to offer this but on a different server.

Not everyone will want to pvp or have it allowed, some will, having two rulesets, one server withi pvp flagged and no one that is able to turn it off and have another one where those who don't wish to always be pvpable can go to.

Mainly because I want the game to succeed (as I'm sure the devs do) but also because there's really no reason not to is there?

I think the best thing is, and this is coming from a UO vet who felt like Trammel ruined the game, is to offer this but on a different server.

Not everyone will want to pvp or have it allowed, some will, having two rulesets, one server withi pvp flagged and no one that is able to turn it off and have another one where those who don't wish to always be pvpable can go to.

Mainly because I want the game to succeed (as I'm sure the devs do) but also because there's really no reason not to is there?

Splitting populations, different rules result in essentially different games. Devs stated they want to make a new niche game. More instanced pvp or flags is not new.

nAd1VPD.png

well, the only reason i can see is splitting your population...

wolves need sheep

and, in a way the sheep need the wolves...helps keep prices up cuz you have to be good to go out and get resources and bring them back safely...and so on

could just be me, if population isn't an issue...i have no problems with a server type solution

but can we "visit"?

ok....that was just evil, wasn't it?

Excelsior!

FIQw0eP.png

let the Code build the World and it's Laws....let the Players build the rest...

Splitting populations, different rules result in essentially different games. Devs stated they want to make a new niche game. More instanced pvp or flags is not new.

Exactly the above.  You see the thing is....the non open pvp servers will have a dominating population.  BY FAR.  The devs will know who is paying the bills, and those players will be catered to.  Everything will have to be designed in a way so it works on a server with only consensual pvp as well as the lower population non-consensual server, thus making every feature designed for the least common denominator so to speak.  Every feature will have to be weighed with the question, will this work for both types of games?  In some cases, this could result in double the work.

Then there is costs.  The company will have to pay for the servers for this low pop open pvp server.  Compared to their other servers, is it worth the coin?

I am strongly against splitting the population in anyway.  I am of the opinion is that it ends up bad for the pvpers eventually, every single time.

These people upset me too. with them reading all the text in a quest, and watching every cut scene. I want a game where i can kill them before the cut scene is over. Is that too much to ask for?

Yes, actually.

MMOs are just as rarely made for us carebears as for PVPers. Most are made for the hardcore progression raiding guilds.

Didn't read all nine pages of this thread to see if someone already suggested this, but I'm hoping to see a system similar to the PvP system in EVE Online. Partial loot would be great. Even full loot would be fine as long as it doesn't take hundreds of hours of grinding to get a full gear set only to lose it in a single lag spike...

But everything would be balanced by some sort of universal "guard" or "justice" system. It would take several paragraphs to describe all the intricacies of the system, but those of you who have played EVE Online will know exactly what I'm talking about.

In general, I agree with you...

As long as it actually worked, was better designed, lore consistent, and you don't get insurance payouts for being CONCORDed. At least CCP fixed that last one.

If they did foroe everyone onto one sever with forced PVP there definitely needs to be a system of consequences for pk'ing players that aren't your enemy (IE not flagged for war against your guild or anything).

One area UO understood that many other newer games seem to have forgotten (look at games like Dayz/Rust,come across someone you don't know and there's zero reason not to do it and take all their crap).

So if there's pk'ing you need to provide both incentives for it (IE loot/rewards of some type) and reasons not to do it (consequences) so you'll balance out the population of people that do it, don't do it, and those in between.

Otherwise you'll just get a haven of mostly hostile players.

Edited by stiler

There was no system in place for punishing pk'ers in forced pvp. Sure, you could hide in the safezone, but there was almost no reason to do so unless your city was camped or you were trading.

In the beginning, it was verbal alliances that people wouldn't PK each other. That's where the notion of carebears came from in SB. Carebear nations would level together, siege together, and not kill each other.

Then RPK (random player killers) guilds would come along and carebear guilds would team up against the RPK's and keep them from having trees. They ran errant (no guild coz you needed a city to be an actual guild) and eventually some carebear guilds would support the RPK's, making way for RPK's.

In the end (prior to Entranz shutting down, SB becoming F2P, and the entrance of asian players), carebear guilds actually became the minority and RPK was the majority. It let to do more PvP. The consequences remained that someone could tear down your city for your smack talk or forum talk, but if you rpk'd without smack talk, then the community accepted this type of behavior and discouraged senseless banes. With the introduction of mines, there became a focus for PvP.

There were still alliances, but it became a community where RPK was a way of life and carebearing (*** cupping) was frowned upon. And those are real asterisks.

Honestly, I think too many people would take advantage. I love the idea of being able to backstab even your allies. If that's how you choose to play, but honestly there gets to be a point when enough is enough, and no one likes continuous dying. I assume you've heard of grievers. Some people like to do this to other people, effectively ruining someone else's experience. 

I assume you've heard of grievers. Some people like to do this to other people, effectively ruining someone else's experience. 

If you don't allow this to happen, you don't get to experience coming back with a few friends and burning down everything they love.

If you don't allow this to happen, you don't get to experience coming back with a few friends and burning down everything they love.

Maybe so, but getting ganked by a bunch of buttonholes isn't really at the top of my "fun" list. Plus I like to mostly run solo.

*I think I'll keep the autocorrect :D buttonholes.

Edited by lady enzeru

Maybe so, but getting ganked by a bunch of buttonholes isn't really at the top of my "fun" list. Plus I like to mostly run solo.

*I think I'll keep the autocorrect :D buttonholes.

Wanna play solo?, don't play MMOs. If you're lonely and want people to talk to join eharmony.

Edited by remec

QgGGP67.gif

Yes, actually.

MMOs are just as rarely made for us carebears as for PVPers. Most are made for the hardcore progression raiding guilds.

Hardcore progression raiders are carebears. Fighting NPC and learning where to stand in a fight gets boring fast.

If they're not made for PvPers, and not made for PvEers? Who the hell is left? Don't tell me all these games are made for Role-Players?

Edited by remec

QgGGP67.gif

Every MMO since WoW with the exception of a small few were made for PvE.  PvE rules the marketplace, has the largest audience, and is the hardest damn thing to replicate success wise.

A studio can't compete with WoW with a new product.  WoW has over a DECADE of development time AFTER release.  It isn't feasible or commercially viable to generate enough content when building a game to compete with it head to head.

Even Star Wars couldn't compete as its launch was ruined by a lack of end game and social / convience features that everyone had in WoW and begged for in SWTOR.  Once they continued to ignore PvPers I was done with it.

Gamers live in a PvE world.  This game has promised to be different.  It will NOT have the PvE features everyone is comfortable with. 

nAd1VPD.png