Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Was Crowfall ready for Beta? Hmmmm....

In my opinion, not really.  The rush to Beta was alittle Rushed.

• Guild actions available in game - - -  Join/leave/kick.  It's nice to talk to someone before you accept them into guild. Now it's accept or deny on the website not knowing who the person is that is applying.  Also, GUILD BANKS... . . . . . It's only been mentioned for over 2 years that a guild bank is needed.  Guess it is super hard for ACE to figure out. Probably  have to wait a few more years.  Is this going to be a new feature after release?
  • Performance - - - This is a tough issue. It's getting better, but is is good enough for Beta?  Still having Frame rate drop to slide show during large fights is a problem.
  • Crafting - - - How the hell do you explain this to a new player?  What is this "resource combo does not work".  How do you tell a new player that it takes 4 craters to make a set of boots?  Why is what I craft worse then what I get killing a mob?  I will just leave this as is and let others comment on it.
  • Character balancing - - - Yes, ACE said that they will make a pass probably after release.  Ace still does Mass nerfs and such instead of small adjustments.  Frostweaver is just the most recent.  
  • Ally system - - - OK, another tough issue.  Some say the big guilds will just get bigger.  I say what is the difference.  Blob guilds vs smaller guilds.  Blob Ally vs smaller ally.  The only difference that I can really say is that the guilds will retain their individual identities.
  • NO DIFFERENT CAMPAIGNS - - - ACE has always mentioned that there would be more then one campaign with different rule sets.  How is a new player that applied for beta years ago suppose to know that this would be an option at some time.  Why not have a Faction vs Faction campaign running at the same time?  Unguilded new members that only have 30 days would have a better idea if they wanna buy the game.
  • UI options - - - No reason to talk about it cause it is not an option at all right now.
  • Devs that play - - - I understand that all the Devs are busy creating new things or fixing something.  BUT, when players mention things, the Devs sometimes do not understand.  How is a Dev feel the pain of crafting or gathering or pvp if they have not experienced it.  One example is the Chaos Ember change.  Really. . . . who does a Full ReRoll.  Not normally worth it unless you really suck.  Training makes it totally useless.
  • Mounts - - - hehe  This one makes me laugh everytime a New player asks about it.  I tell them that you get a Pig Figurine that you stick in your butt that makes you run faster.
  •  Map Size - - - Current map size will probably change, but right now, it's not right.  PVP'rs love it, Gatherers don't like it so much.  There is no place on map for anyone to do anything but PVP.  Map is to small for Gatherers to find a place to hide from the pvp groups out hunting.  Yeah, I know, pvp game.  No gatherers, no building keeps, no higher end gear, no crafting.  Makes it real hard for a new player to try to have fun no matter what they may be interested in.  New players are getting jumped and then they get jumped again and again. Then they go back to MineCraft and don't buy Crowfall after the Beta trial.

I might have forgot a few things but figured this is plenty.  Yes, none of this is game breaking.  Put yourself in the New players shoes.  Do the shoes fit right?  I been buying shoes for a long time and these feel alittle off.  I will pick a different pair of shoes.     

Thanks all for letting me rant and please leave your comments, good or bad.  I could be totally off on the whole post, but won't know till you comment.

I feel that there are a lot of "quality of life" issues that this game really needs to focus on. As well, I agree, ACE doesn't know how to fix things. They just break it in one direction or another. It's like all they have is an ON/OFF switch, not a sliding scale.

Ready? I dont think so.

I still find it weird they kinda announced Beta 1 week after saying it was coming. Like, btw Beta starts this tuesday. No build up at all.

Maybe that is exactly how ace seems this beta thing. Just the option to bump the population.

Not sure I like that. It will be harder to bring back players who end up with a bad opinion of the game because of problems that most certainly will be fixed later. But if it was me I would only invite people when the game was basically ready to launch.

That said, the game isnt missing any big game breaking thing. Sure the guild stuff is important as is the alliance stuff but not game breaking. There really isnt anything we can point and say without this thing BETA is impossible.

And even if only a small part of all the new players stay or walk away with a favorable-ish opinion (feasible) that would still be a pretty okay development. Not like we wont send everyone another email when the game is ready to launch...

Edited by BarriaKarl
7 minutes ago, GreenDeath said:

A third of the game is missing really(eternal kingdoms) which i do see as pretty game breaking, as is the various bugs for assassin.

Other issues would  be how they randomly take down servers and bring new ones up but say nothing.

join the official crowfall discord for server status

2 hours ago, DarnHippy said:

Depends on their goals. From their comments, beta was more about getting more/fresh players in. Beta means nothing as devs have commented but the term definitely comes with expectations that this beta doesn't live up to IMO.

Sounds like a lot of improvements are coming with the next big update (6.1) and maybe that would of put things in a better place, but no clue if it will leave the game in the same spot where the next update will be the one.

For every player that sticks around or leaves with good impression for the future, twenty might be the opposite. Have no idea and I leave that to people that need to worry about such things.

Much needs to be improved and will be, but no one can say how long it will take to get to the right place for me, you, or anyone else or if it ever will.

People can either enjoy what is available or not. I hope a lot more is to come in the improvements department, but don't expect the game to be drastically different. They can only do so much with their resources so is what it is.

If it gets to launch time and the game is still in such a state, that will be a larger issue. Even if people have a terrible experience in "beta," would be dumb not to try it later if it actually improves a great deal. With the ease of access to information, people don't have to die blindly into games anymore so hopefully it works out.

You need to understand guys that for ACE beta is a software testing cycle which means feature freeze, bug fixing, optimisation and usability testing. It is not a marketing term that we are used to as players, which other companies use to lure us to pre-order their game. The first (and relatively small) waves of beta-testers will have to suffer a bit, and it is fine as long as the main features are available for tests. Noone forces anyone to play the game seriously on beta.

2 hours ago, DarnHippy said:

• Guild actions available in game - - -  Join/leave/kick.  It's nice to talk to someone before you accept them into guild. Now it's accept or deny on the website not knowing who the person is that is applying.  Also, GUILD BANKS... . . . . . It's only been mentioned for over 2 years that a guild bank is needed.  Guess it is super hard for ACE to figure out. Probably  have to wait a few more years.  Is this going to be a new feature after release? have you heard the tale of when they put a bank in an ek.... yeah it needs it
  • Performance - - - This is a tough issue. It's getting better, but is is good enough for Beta?  Still having Frame rate drop to slide show during large fights is a problem. performance has come a long way still needs more
  • Crafting - - - How the hell do you explain this to a new player?  What is this "resource combo does not work".  How do you tell a new player that it takes 4 craters to make a set of boots?  Why is what I craft worse then what I get killing a mob?  I will just leave this as is and let others comment on it. previously if you had a bad combo itd take your mats and make something worthless, its better now it just says "does not work". the game requires a lot of inter-dependency between crafts and i dont see a problem with that, i just wish theyd say so in the tutorial that crafting is very complicated, perhaps in part 3 they wil
  • Character balancing - - - Yes, ACE said that they will make a pass probably after release.  Ace still does Mass nerfs and such instead of small adjustments.  Frostweaver is just the most recent.  frosty needed a nerf, this is what beta should be, balance changes and performance updates
  • Ally system - - - OK, another tough issue.  Some say the big guilds will just get bigger.  I say what is the difference.  Blob guilds vs smaller guilds.  Blob Ally vs smaller ally.  The only difference that I can really say is that the guilds will retain their individual identities. 
  • NO DIFFERENT CAMPAIGNS - - - ACE has always mentioned that there would be more then one campaign with different rule sets.  How is a new player that applied for beta years ago suppose to know that this would be an option at some time.  Why not have a Faction vs Faction campaign running at the same time?  Unguilded new members that only have 30 days would have a better idea if they wanna buy the game. they will have several, right now i imagine they only have 1 so they can use this as a stress test and better help them fix performance, there isnt enough people for 2 campaigns but there is enough for 1
  • UI options - - - No reason to talk about it cause it is not an option at all right now.
  • Devs that play - - - I understand that all the Devs are busy creating new things or fixing something.  BUT, when players mention things, the Devs sometimes do not understand.  How is a Dev feel the pain of crafting or gathering or pvp if they have not experienced it.  One example is the Chaos Ember change.  Really. . . . who does a Full ReRoll.  Not normally worth it unless you really suck.  Training makes it totally useless.
  • Mounts - - - hehe  This one makes me laugh everytime a New player asks about it.  I tell them that you get a Pig Figurine that you stick in your butt that makes you run faster.
  •  Map Size - - - Current map size will probably change, but right now, it's not right.  PVP'rs love it, Gatherers don't like it so much.  There is no place on map for anyone to do anything but PVP.  Map is to small for Gatherers to find a place to hide from the pvp groups out hunting.  Yeah, I know, pvp game.  No gatherers, no building keeps, no higher end gear, no crafting.  Makes it real hard for a new player to try to have fun no matter what they may be interested in.  New players are getting jumped and then they get jumped again and again. Then they go back to MineCraft and don't buy Crowfall after the Beta trial. dregs shouldnt be used for gathering right now, no one has the skills to do

I might have forgot a few things but figured this is plenty.  Yes, none of this is game breaking.  Put yourself in the New players shoes.  Do the shoes fit right?  I been buying shoes for a long time and these feel alittle off.  I will pick a different pair of shoes.     

Thanks all for letting me rant and please leave your comments, good or bad.  I could be totally off on the whole post, but won't know till you comment.

read bold, overall i think it was rushed and was not ready for beta, i wish they took another 2 months to hammer out the final systems and used beta to fine tune everything instead of using it to finish the systems

hoayaga2.jpg

8 minutes ago, ComradeAma said:

You need to understand guys that for ACE beta is a software testing cycle which means feature freeze, bug fixing, optimisation and usability testing. It is not a marketing term that we are used to as players, which other companies use to lure us to pre-order their game. The first (and relatively small) waves of beta-testers will have to suffer a bit, and it is fine as long as the main features are available for tests. Noone forces anyone to play the game seriously on beta.

I agree but no one forces companies to use terms that come with baggage.

See no benefit of calling it beta over any other generic made up term.

Fact people have to explain what "beta" means for ACE points directly at the problem.

If it isn't for marketing or whatever, why continue to use the terms? Seems odd to use terms that they admit are meaningless.

28 minutes ago, ComradeAma said:

It is not a marketing term that we are used to as players, which other companies use to lure us to pre-order their game.

Ummmm. beta is a marketing term. One can attempt to try and change meanings for industry standard words, but don't complain when players expect beta condition game and get alpha game. 

Beta was totally Marketing.  Why else rush?  Why else make people buy the game after a 1 month trial?  Why else put out advertisements for Beta?  Just hate to see bad press that will effect tons of Twitch viewers.  So that guy had 15,00 viewers, then if he said the game is bad.  15,000 viewers tell their friends not to even try the bad game.  So on release when things are better, those viewers will still have a bad idea of game and not try it out.     Verses the total opposite where Streamers give Crowfall a thumbs up (because things were not rushed) and attract 15,000 people to try it out and then they tell their friends.

25 minutes ago, DarnHippy said:

Beta was totally Marketing.  Why else rush?  Why else make people buy the game after a 1 month trial?  Why else put out advertisements for Beta?  Just hate to see bad press that will effect tons of Twitch viewers.  So that guy had 15,00 viewers, then if he said the game is bad.  15,000 viewers tell their friends not to even try the bad game.  So on release when things are better, those viewers will still have a bad idea of game and not try it out.     Verses the total opposite where Streamers give Crowfall a thumbs up (because things were not rushed) and attract 15,000 people to try it out and then they tell their friends.

Your points are valid, but I'd like to offer a different twist here. First of all, the game has not had any NDA from the beginning. Videos have been posted, gameplay has been streamed with the game in a much more unfinished state than we have now. Summit may have noticed a video about Crowfall and looked at it and it's possible that the word "beta" got their attention, but it's not like things haven't out there the whole time. Had everything been hush hush and then suddenly "BOOM HERE IS CROWFALL FOR THE WORLD TO SEE" I would completely agree with you. Was beta marketing? Possibly. We've seen big pushes of players with every round of invites. This may have been the largest (not sure, I haven't checked) but the risk of bad first impressions has been there from the beginning. Whether it's a good idea or bad, this particular push fits with ACE's process all along. What it sounds like to me is that you're not sure the game should have had public access without being more polished. If that's the case, this is a fair argument. However, from the beginning ACE has made the decision to let the entire process be out there for folks to see.

Edited by Arawulf
On 8/13/2020 at 9:02 PM, DarnHippy said:

• Guild actions available in game - - -  Join/leave/kick.  It's nice to talk to someone before you accept them into guild. Now it's accept or deny on the website not knowing who the person is that is applying.  Also, GUILD BANKS... . . . . . It's only been mentioned for over 2 years that a guild bank is needed.  Guess it is super hard for ACE to figure out. Probably  have to wait a few more years.  Is this going to be a new feature after release?
  • Performance - - - This is a tough issue. It's getting better, but is is good enough for Beta?  Still having Frame rate drop to slide show during large fights is a problem.
  • Crafting - - - How the hell do you explain this to a new player?  What is this "resource combo does not work".  How do you tell a new player that it takes 4 craters to make a set of boots?  Why is what I craft worse then what I get killing a mob?  I will just leave this as is and let others comment on it.
  • Character balancing - - - Yes, ACE said that they will make a pass probably after release.  Ace still does Mass nerfs and such instead of small adjustments.  Frostweaver is just the most recent.  
  • NO DIFFERENT CAMPAIGNS - - - ACE has always mentioned that there would be more then one campaign with different rule sets.  How is a new player that applied for beta years ago suppose to know that this would be an option at some time.  Why not have a Faction vs Faction campaign running at the same time?  Unguilded new members that only have 30 days would have a better idea if they wanna buy the game.
  •  Map Size - - - Current map size will probably change, but right now, it's not right.  PVP'rs love it, Gatherers don't like it so much.  There is no place on map for anyone to do anything but PVP.  Map is to small for Gatherers to find a place to hide from the pvp groups out hunting.  Yeah, I know, pvp game.  No gatherers, no building keeps, no higher end gear, no crafting.  Makes it real hard for a new player to try to have fun no matter what they may be interested in.  New players are getting jumped and then they get jumped again and again. Then they go back to MineCraft and don't buy Crowfall after the Beta trial.

Yes the current map version of dregs and the core design is so custard bad. The scale is really custard poor balanced large vs small scale. I start to question the map RNG design built into the engine. Is there no quality check before it go on the live server, because the custard moron doing it have no custard clue how to proper balance a map right?

Why do I`ve a feeling and wish that this map was the Mourning map back in 2004 consider the scale of the map which was a lot more accurate and could easy have 2000 players at the same time? I hate all the map layouts in Crowfall so custard bad. We only need one custard large scale map - not 4-5 small narrow mapset that a huge size guild can just camp the entrances and free loot. The Free city in the middle is a stupid custard idea. So we need 1 huge map that connect strategic resources so you feel you can have territory control which we had in Shadowbane. Besides we need the fog on the map, because it is too easy to guess where to set up an ambush at the moment and not feeling exploring the map at all. Runegates are camped too often and it happens, because the map design is really custard bad.

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

4 minutes ago, mythx said:

Yes the current map version of dregs and the core design is so custard bad. The scale is really custard poor balanced large vs small scale. I start to question the map RNG design built into the engine. Is there no quality check before it go on the live server, because the custard moron doing it have no custard clue how to proper balance a map right?

Why do I`ve a feeling and wish that this map was the Mourning map back in 2004 consider the scale of the map which was a lot more accurate and could easy have 2000 players at the same time? I hate all the map layouts in Crowfall so custard bad. We only need one custard large scale map - not 4-5 small narrow mapset that a huge size guild can just camp the entrances and free loot. The Free city in the middle is a stupid custard idea. So we need 1 huge map that connect strategic resources so you feel you can have territory control which we had in Shadowbane. Besides we need the fog on the map, because it is too easy to guess where to set up an ambush at the moment and not feeling exploring the map at all. Runegates are camped too often and it happens, because the map design is really custard bad.

i too would like 1 giant map, and an easier map to read 

hoayaga2.jpg