Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
neutrinoide

Spinning Attack Must Go

Eh, I'm not opposed to spinning attacks on principle. There are plenty of martial arts where people turn 180 or 360 and use the momentum generated to kick or punch or whatever with a ton of force. However these techniques are usually designed to be very fast so as not to provide an opening to the enemy, and additionally whoever is doing it will maintain some kind of guard toward their opponent throughout the entire rotation.

And even then, in the average bout between martial artists you will rarely see these techniques, because there's rarely a time when they're more practical than just maintaining a guard and trying to leverage an opening in the enemy's defences.

Meanwhile in video game land, we get shown characters who like to just whirl around in circles with their swords held out and no regard for maintaining a guard, providing a huge opening to opponents, and we're told 'this character is a brilliant swordsman'. I don't buy it.

Martial arts use blunt force and carry on past the opposition.  They are not sword attacks that must cut through the opposition.  A 360 attack is terrible because even with momentum, you're not going to slice your way through seven people unless they are ALL at the perfect distance away for most torso cuts.

Barring the move being called 'Shin Stealer' and using a scimitar, I don't see it working.  It's the kind of thing you'll see in a cheasy samurai movie.  A real warrior would have his feet planted in the ground for maximum energy transfer and force, not spinning like a ballerina to the point you could tip him over with a simple nudge.

Edited by Kyutaru

Your not going to cut through seven people ever, period. barring the fact that slicing weapons don't penetrate most armors, the first target will rob all the power of your blow and it won't do anything to the second target. Unless your spin attack is aimed to only pass through the uncovered necks of several men by only a few inches, it's not going to kills several targets, and even then, spin attacks do not produces continuous force for a full 360 degrees unless their some sort of flail weapon, the entire concept is nonsense.

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Your not going to cut through seven people ever, period. barring the fact that slicing weapons don't penetrate most armors, the first target will rob all the power of your blow and it won't do anything to the second target. Unless your spin attack is aimed to only pass through the uncovered necks of several men by only a few inches, it's not going to kills several targets, and even then, spin attacks do not produces continuous force for a full 360 degrees unless their some sort of flail weapon, the entire concept is nonsense.

"magic"

"magic"

Does this magic only apply to bad swordsmanship?, cause I'd like to magically avoid direct hits and block all attacks in 360 degrees with my shield too...

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Lets also have real life stamina for warriors, the bigger the swords, the more time and more stamina it consumes.

And do not forget armor. Armor is very heavy, its not physically possible to keep running for an entire day in full plate gear. So ACE should implement a rest system for a knight.

Lets say 1 hour of walking, then a 20min rest where you have to sit on the ground to recoup your strenght?

I'm going to hope that was sarcasm xD

Hey, we have to make it realistic :)

Also, when your char breaks an arm or a foot, you are out of combat for 6 months.

You said REALISTIC.  This is a world with magic elf people.  Broken bones are no sweat.  Having your soul ripped from your body and imprisoned in a soul gem on the other hand presents a worthy challenge.

You said REALISTIC.  This is a world with magic elf people.  Broken bones are no sweat.  Having your soul ripped from your body and imprisoned in a soul gem on the other hand presents a worthy challenge.

What are you talking about you can just spin your soul really fast and it will cut the soul gem in half. The challenge is having to spin back to your body.

Maybe it could be a low sweep to start (first 180) and the curve into a high attack (the final 180 of the spin), those hit with a the low cut get rooted and those hit by the high-attack get pushed back.  I think that would look cool and may make more sense.  idk.

Just imagine a smiley after everything I say.  Works out best for us all.

Next time I see some martial artist from a movie hit all enemies surrounding them with a sweeping attack around them, I'm going to tell them to stop and redo the scene.

At least it isn't a `shout` PBAoE which somehow does monstrous damage like some games have... or a `I hit the ground, so obviously all of that damage is hitting you around me` right?

◄ Jaguar / Tasho ▬ Knights of Glory and Beer ►

Master of Useless Darkfall Physics Spells and Originator of Shrapnel/Begone Jumping

wYG89dW.jpg

It's not like martial artist never swing their weapon in a circle or spin it, but it's usually for defense and diversion, offense is a form of defense, but it can't offend all of them, it's just that nobody wants to be the guy that's hit.

Sweeping attacks make sense. Even the spinning attack is ok (does look cool), but the 360knockback power from the spinning attack is ridiculous. So is the stoneborn's 360o stomp or shout attack.

Why? We're stonebearded badasses, if we want to shout so yard it knocks you off your feet, WE'LL DO IT. Besides, being mode of stone, we dont get dizzy from spinning.

Edited by dwarfurious

Why? We're stonebearded badasses, if we want to shout so yard it knocks you off your feet, WE'LL DO IT. Besides, being mode of stone, we dont get dizzy from spinning.

Lol. I was hoping for physics to make sense here.

Maybe it's a breath weapon and even the undead have to jump back to avoid the stench. (Garlic, anchovies and liverwurst on chalk sandwiches?)

Regardless, Stoneborn don't seem to need to spin to accomplish 360o knockback. That strong spirit commands respect, I guess.

I think the K-Mart of MMO's already exists!  And it ain't us!   :)