Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dear ACE, Performance is just not there...

I hope you guys are dumping literally all your time and assets into getting performance under control.  It's a house-sized boat anchor to your game right now.  The end game that makes this game great is severely handicapped by performance.  Minor increases won't get it done.   Surely you know this... but performance continues to be an issue, so maybe not.  People want 80-120 fps, but a consistent 40-60 in large group fights needs to happen.  Those drops into the low 30s needs to be rare.

30 minutes ago, Arkade said:

They know, but there's no one thing that they can do to fix it. It's going to take a bunch of small fixes.

There seems like there is a lot more work to be done and not enough time to do it since they are intent this needs to  be released soon.

Edited by Infraction

REQT

39 minutes ago, moneda said:

Um, excuse you, but I was promised a fiery pony and I will get my pony. 😤  

And I'm pretty sure you'll get it. Though it may be a fiery invisible pony for a while 😅

I agree with Ble.
Players can understand that a game may still lack balance, have occasional bugs, or need more QoL,... But you need them to be able to actually play what you want to be the core of the game. Not just so they can have fun or for marketing, but mainly to ensure you have a good pool of testers

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

Of course they know. What is in question is how much they are prioritizing it. 

They've said its the top priority, for what that's worth.

IhhQKY6.gif

58 minutes ago, Jah said:

They've said its the top priority, for what that's worth.

They have said that and I appreciate their focus on it at this time. They should probably get drastic with the small things though and just see how quickly they can make a great impact. Simplify sounds and effects or remove them until performance is better then slowly bring them back after release to make it pretty again. 

9 minutes ago, Spawl said:

Been waiting quite a while. Even took 2 years off because it was frustrating. 

I am worried that ACE will have to start disabling server checks and offloading more control to the client in order to improve performance. They cant downgrade graphics like some companies have done for launch, perhaps they will just set caps at 200 per instance. Well poop, thats a depressing reality.

I agree that they still have a way to go, performance wise. But, anyone who played just 6 months ago and maxed out at 50-60 fps and in 20v20 dropped to under 10, can appreciate the max of 100 or so i now get, and that i only drop into the 20's even when there are near 100 players fighting inside the perimeter of a fort. And that is with my graphics set to VERY HIGH, not medium.

They have a long way to go but even 2 months ago what i am now experiencing was not possible.

I've been told that the next client that is due any time now (right after this Dregs ends, maybe??? ) will use less memory, be less memory and cpu intensive, have at least some of the memory leaks fixed, and is going through another round of culling changes.

Who knows in 2 weeks we could be seeing performance at least close to what everyone is expecting with only minor improvements needed.

In March performance was a 2, in June a 3.5, In July/Aug it is a maybe a 6, i think we might see it up to an 8 in a week or two.

5 hours ago, NevynRunebinder said:

i only drop into the 20's even when there are near 100 players fighting inside the perimeter of a fort. And that is with my graphics set to VERY HIGH, not medium.

What are your PC specs? From self reporting and all the stream/vids available, seems many are hitting the 10 FPS floor in large engagements or at least <20 for the most part.

I admit to having a monster rig.

Intel I9 10900k

MSI MEG ACE z490MB

2 Samsung 1 TB 970EvoPlus NVME in Raid 0

6kgb Gskill Trident 4000mhz DDR4

2 RTX 2070Super with NVLink

Adjusting the config.boot file gave me almost 25 FPS to my max.

Disabling Hyperthreading gave me another 20FPS to my max.

I hit 190 or so looking at sky or ground in medium, just standing in temple with 20-30 running around and i am 90-100 looking around.

Usually 80+ in zones, but always over 65ish

Took video on Sunday while in Very High, about 30 PrX, 20 Dissentient, and 45ish Lfighting at fort, lowest i saw was 15 for a sec or two but mostly around 22-25.

That people are suggesting bios changes to make the game semi playable confirms the point.  Sure they say "its a priority" but it still doesn't hurt to bring it up again.  Lets be honest, the only exposure they get to end game is videos, they don't actually play the game.   So the more feedback they get the better.

My computer is pretty decent, it was a monster like 3-4 years ago when I bought it - I average 15-18 in big fights.  I've done some in-game quality lowering and play big fights with sound off, but I'm not taking a shovel to my bios - lol no son.  I think if you want a marketable product you got to make sure its playable by the masses.  Monster comps should be able to run ultra at 60fps, medium comps should have to tweak some shadows and render distances and other outlying stuff, or choose medium-looking graphics accross the board and then get the 60fps.  Potatoes, yes, you want potatoes to be able to play your game, I wouldn't be surprised if potatoes make up 60-80% of the people out there wanting to play games.  Potatoes should be able to play the game on low settings with features like shadows turned off or viewdistances at minimum - and get 60 fps.

And I couldn't give a custard what FPS you can get looking at the sky, looking at the ground, or in an EK or even in small scale pvp.  This game lives or dies by its end game pvp - thats where we need the fps.

Edited by Ble
On 8/27/2020 at 8:04 AM, Ble said:

but I'm not taking a shovel to my bios - lol no son.

Its not like you are messing with reg edits. Its literally just a drop down to enable/disable 2 options

aeei5jG.png