Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Will we ever get Ek Style City building in a future dregs ?

im ok if city become like darkfall 1 where all of them were different and some had super unique aspects like Ul humra under ground city with 2 long tunnels to get to it, Calfardar ontop of a platue with a elevator to get to it, Erinthul a 4 stage city connected via ramps, Arathol half the city was in a mountain mine where you had to fight through tunnel to get to the stone to capture in and so on.

Darkfall 2 however tried making all the cities the same with no unique advantage appart from mob spawn locations

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

I think the Shadows will be a better setting for me if they focus on FFA (Free for all) type of setting with less number of coordinated players on both sides like "Dayz Style" survival. I feel like this is more SB2 than Darkfall though, but a thief class who can pick pocket would be really cool addition after the launch if any new classes will be created. 

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

It will come @drakaiser they talked about it recently in a podcast. I agree it helps a lot about the overall immersion of the world, and some small rivers would be great in grassland bion too that u dont need to swim or use a lot of time with swim animations. I do full time sea scape landscape photography it really lacks water in the world. 

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

2 hours ago, mythx said:

It will come @drakaiser they talked about it recently in a podcast. I agree it helps a lot about the overall immersion of the world, and some small rivers would be great in grassland bion too that u dont need to swim or use a lot of time with swim animations. I do full time sea scape landscape photography it really lacks water in the world. 

Bring back knee high water!

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Just now, PaleOne said:

i just want the ability to walk through the world-- find a spot with strategic advantage and say--- This is where I Will Build!

That should be reasonable. What I dont think is possible is the ability to build anywhere.

The game should be able to come up with places where building would be viable. Like you said you would find a 'spot with strategic advantage' to build. That narrows it down incredibly from the 'build anywhere' some people seems to be expecting.

Think of the game 'Civilization'. Even a game that is basically all about building cities still requires players to use predetermined spots. Based on the bonuses a city would get settling there.

Crowfall could easily use the same mechanic. We do have after all a 'Map Generator' adding in what would be simply a 'quality check' for building placement seems viable. Only instead of a keep, we add a marker or something that basically is upgraded to the actual builing.

The thing is, can you guys actually write out what would be required for a spot to be desirable for a city? That would be a start.

They should simply ring every adventure zone with plain parcels, where trees can be planted that convert it to a mini-keep, then upgrade to a keep. Free build on that parcel. Force guilds to bind at their trees, not at temples. Spread us out. Some number of keeps per zone as a cap.

Shadowbane city building was incredible and before-its-time. To not do it again now, better, is one of the biggest misses on vision in Crowfall especially with the investment in the tech for eternal kingdoms.

I cannot believe they are not doing this, it is incredibly valuable to the game's sustainability and buy-in from guilds. The internal, pre-located, pre-built keeps are awful and small/medium-guild killers.

Also, please put a steep cost to initiating a siege. Free initiation is another devastating departure from feeling like we have a home that we should invest in, and if someone wants to take it from us, they need to invest in that decision.

Edited by McTan

AFAIK the lack of free building at the moment is due to the EK systems still being wonky and ACE wanting to shorten the timetable to release. Basically, it was faster to iron out stuff like victory conditions, scoring, guild banks, Shadows with the new building upgrade systems and scorecards, mounts, alliances, and other critical missing features while keeping the EK building systems on the back burner, and the EK building systems are the same systems they want to use in dregs.

If you've tried to set up EK buildings, you've seen how wonky simple stuff like getting your walls to all connect is. In terms of Dregs there are still functions of the upgrade and scoring systems in flux that they're fine tuning and they want to finalize the scoring/cost of that stuff in a more controlled environment.

As far as I know, the plan is to slowly phase in free building after those systems are working at 100% with a proper UI that isn't /commands in EKs some time after release. Last I heard it will be limited to certain parcels (essentially a replacement for shadowbane's range exclusion from nearby cities) and they're still not sure if stonemasonry crafting or a blueprint vendor would be the best way to handle it.

TLDR: Free building is on the list of planned features, possibly only in certain campaigns, but its pretty far down that list because it has a functional analogue in the game right now and there are other critical systems that still don't have a functional analogue. It will probably start showing its head after a major post-release update to EKs as it uses the same placement systems as EKs.

Edited by PopeUrban

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

2 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

AFAIK the lack of free building at the moment is due to the EK systems still being wonky and ACE wanting to shorten the timetable to release. Basically, it was faster to iron out stuff like victory conditions, scoring, guild banks, Shadows with the new building upgrade systems and scorecards, mounts, alliances, and other critical missing features while keeping the EK building systems on the back burner, and the EK building systems are the same systems they want to use in dregs.

If you've tried to set up EK buildings, you've seen how wonky simple stuff like getting your walls to all connect is. In terms of Dregs there are still functions of the upgrade and scoring systems in flux that they're fine tuning and they want to finalize the scoring/cost of that stuff in a more controlled environment.

As far as I know, the plan is to slowly phase in free building after those systems are working at 100% with a proper UI that isn't /commands in EKs some time after release. Last I heard it will be limited to certain parcels (essentially a replacement for shadowbane's range exclusion from nearby cities) and they're still not sure if stonemasonry crafting or a blueprint vendor would be the best way to handle it.

TLDR: Free building is on the list of planned features, possibly only in certain campaigns, but its pretty far down that list because it has a functional analogue in the game right now and there are other critical systems that still don't have a functional analogue. It will probably start showing its head after a major post-release update to EKs as it uses the same placement systems as EKs.

Okay, don't free build, but let us pick where we plant at the very least. It is a game-defining feature that is sitting right there. We need HOMES, where we bind, live, build, congregate, bank, craft. We need something to want to invest in so we can defend it. I do not see Crowfall having a successful launch with the current keep/temple system.

43 minutes ago, mystafyi said:

I am not so sure its that easy. Plus I think it would cause a performance hit and so will not be changed for launch.

It would be done at map creation tho.

They would really only add a few checkers.

This location:

has 3 or more gathering group nodes of different types near it. (where near/close is of course what we decide is reasonble for a base)

Is close to a refinery.

Is close to a Wartribe Camp.

*Add Keep Seed.* (Or keep seed area would be more accurate?)

Which is why I said if people can actually make a list of parameters y'all look for in a base it would help a lot.

Can you guys actually list potential settling places simply looking at the map? If yes, it can be easily done too through programming.

Edited by BarriaKarl

Free form building is very hard to balance. Players will go out of their way to abuse whatever they can. The forts/keeps DO need to be more distinct tho. They have absolutely no personality and no strategic importance other than just existing and generating points.

On 8/27/2020 at 2:57 PM, mythx said:

I think the Shadows will be a better setting for me if they focus on FFA (Free for all) type of setting with less number of coordinated players on both sides like "Dayz Style" survival. I feel like this is more SB2 than Darkfall though, but a thief class who can pick pocket would be really cool addition after the launch if any new classes will be created. 

if they add this mechanic they better add scout to track and reveal targets other than mole hunter rune

On 8/31/2020 at 2:31 PM, izkimar said:

Free form building is very hard to balance. Players will go out of their way to abuse whatever they can. The forts/keeps DO need to be more distinct tho. They have absolutely no personality and no strategic importance other than just existing and generating points.

Strategic importance is subjective. you wont get it from random computer generated maps.

That is why players need to be able to choose where they build Cities/keeps

Even if we just could drop a prebuilt city grid on the location of our choice it would be a huge improvement

The question was asked by several people in todays Q and A but we never got an answer

(unless i missed it)  @jtoddcoleman

@thomasblair

www.lotd.org       pking and siege pvp since 1995

On 8/29/2020 at 11:57 PM, PopeUrban said:

The Shadows campaign setting should approach the free city building just like in Ark,Rust, and Shadowbane. It should be very different compare to the other two camapaigns (Infected & Dregs) settings in my view to caught my interest after 2021. I love open world sandbox PvP with some risk vs reward systems, but it need to be better executed & balance properly in combat.

In a pvp focused game the one thing that need to feel good is actually combat, and it should be more impactful so less floating stats. The only reason I play Crowfall now is that I`ve nothing else to focus on and that is a honest opinion, but not what Artcraft should be happy about. I wish Crowfall to be a success, but they need to go in the right direction to at least keep the interest of the current player base in closed beta to create some variety in between Faction & Guild base large scale combat. I`ve said this thousend times, but small/minor scale combat is crucial for unguilded & new players who will get involved in CF in this beta stage and before soft launch.  

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png