Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Top Ten Improvements for Crowfall

This is a long post, and I intend for it to be my last post of this kind. Here's to the game finding success.

Obligatory comment on performance. Improvement has been notable, but more is necessary.

Now to the game.

1. Spread us out more. Let us choose where we live and build.

• Shadowbane was awesome because each city was its own center of gravity. We need to be able to bind places other than the temple. Shadowbane was a cult success because guilds had different centers of gravity. The temples are a misunderstanding of how important that is.

• The simple move of choosing where to plant (where to live) was the lifeblood of the connection to that game. Not having it here is very sanitized and emotionless. Ring each adventure zone with empty parcels where we can plant a seed which converts the parcel to a mini-keep/keep blueprint. Limit the number of mini-keeps/keeps per adventure zone. I know this is a pipedream, but I swear it would make the biggest difference to longevity of the game, from my perspective.

• Fewer gates. Every temple should have exactly one gate and no more.

2. We need more simultaneous vectors for victory that pressure larger forces to split and attempt multiple things at once.

• Fort siege windows and capture mechanics need improvement. It is almost always 50 minutes standing around and 10 minutes engagement (maybe even 55 and 5). This is a very boring way to spend play time and has already caused people to quit from my guild (within one week of trying the game). One idea is king of the hill style, where whichever tags have the most time at the end of the open hour, they get the fort.

• There is not enough of a volume of forts vulnerable at the same time. The experience this dregs has been groundhog’s day, with the same three guilds/alliances basically playing out the same story every siege hour, three hours a day, every day. The simple truth is that guilds had no incentive not to full force cap a fort every window. I did not see any guild split forces. If anyone did, it was exceedingly rare.

• As I argued after TEST dregs, the per member cards were incredibly important to this multi-vector pressure on large forces. I got shouted down by members of bigger guilds, but I stand by the claim. I recognize the pressure it has on not wanting to keep casual players in your guild, but that is an important downward pressure on force size that is largely absent from the game. Casual players can play in infected or play a short dregs or join a different guild. 

• Put a minimum on guild size denominator (10), so that a solo cannot sabotage easily.

• Many daily divine favor cards (more details now)

3. Throw a ton of daily victory point cards at us. Make rewards scale to guild size and rank.

• The divine favor system is the unique system for Crowfall. Go all in. Make a million mistakes. Do not shy away from experimenting like crazy.

• Hourly cards, player cards, secret guild cards, either-or cards, simultaneous goal cards (kill 100 of each Wartribe), crazy difficult to execute cards (kill exactly 100 of each wartribe), kill the most alpha spiders, kill the most elders, harvest the most motherlodes, sacrifice chaos embers, sacrifice gold, and on and on and on. 

• Let us choose which we want to do, and make us feel like we cannot do them all.

• When a player logs in, they should be able to survey a bunch of different options and find what they can contribute that day.

• Throw many, many things at us, so big forces have reason to split. Make it so that a giant zerg cannot possibly accomplish all of them during the day, unless they split up to do so.

• Scale the seasonal card point values to continue their relevance as a reward for longevity of focus. Move cards like “hold 5 outposts at the end of the season” and “landless guilds holding a god outpost” to dailies. These do not make sense as seasonals.

4. Passive training still desperately needs an overhaul.

• Fast to slow. Passive training in its best form should feel like welcome improvements that slow down and lessen over time. The current system feels like a steady slog of necessary but non-player controlled improvements, which creates a sense of helplessness - not something primary crafters (read: people) want to feel.

• Passive training should never gate the ability to contribute to the guild via my crafting and harvest selection. Remove the “need x pips to unlock…” and replace with discipline organized unlocking. Want to use advanced picks? Buy and equip Miner. Add to NPE.

• Ideal seems to be some kind of active/passive combo, but I’m not sure that’s in the cards. Worth saying again, however.

5. Fix the map and remove the chicken ticker.

• Orient map with north up on the screen (not up and left). Please, please do this. You have no idea what percent of players made fun of this relentlessly.

• Simplify it dramatically, so that visual and loading lag is not relevant.

• Use more symbols and a key (tower outpost, ground outpost, god outpost, respawn outpost, wartribe [enbarri, urgu, etc.] as opposed to mouse overs (which are noisy and buggy)

• You already have food buffs, which can be the entire system.

• The chicken ticker and the map are by far the most complained about things (aside from performance and bugs) from my guild members who joined at beta.

6. As much as possible, balance by improving what feels bad, not nerfing what feels good.

• Let’s get some love for promos and discs that are not used, and then come back to those that are disproportionately used.

• The recent tweak to stormcallers is the best example of the scalpel instead of the hammer. More of that on over-tuned things. Illusionist and Frostguard got mauled.

• Disciplines are really, really fun for character and group building. Making some of the bad ones good would go a long way, IMO.

• I am hopeful for the overhaul that was just announced

7. Make all crafters relevant from day one. You’re bleeding players who want to be crafters because their harvesting and crafting is not relevant to the guild quickly enough.

• Shift gear drops down another tier (blues from kings/chiefs only). 

• Let gear be disenchanted for its prefix/suffixes. 

• Let us combine 10 prefix/suffix disenchanted items of the same type to make an armor or weapon additive.

• Let crafters optionally put on 2 prefix and 2 suffixes when they craft.

• Restrict by piece, as necessary.

8. Inventory and bank management

• Have all loot drop as doobers (like thralls).

• Give each class of item a symbol and color them like harvestable doobers. “Hey a bluegreat sword” - from the doober.

• Significantly reduce the wartribe loot table.

• Move blended cloth to a crafter.

• Remove all wood.

• Limit every wartribe to exactly one kind of sacrifice artifact (keep qualities)

• Remove most cooking related drops. Maybe push them to animals/harvesting.

• Adjust the red overlay from cannot equip. We need to be able to see the quality of things that we can’t wear at a glance. Maybe make it a red stripe to indicate cannot equip

9. Guild UI in-game.

• List of normal commands

• UI that shows online/offline, guild related stats.

• Ability to invite, kick, promote

• Guild banks

• Guild ranks with permission attachments

10. Make groups sized 8-10 and have friendly fire outside of group.

• This game shines in 5v5 to 10v10. As you start getting more than that on the field (with only two sides), it gets to be a massive blob fest that feels and looks really disjointed and messy and noisy.

• The more I experience the big fort fights, the more apparent the need for out of group friendly fire. There is simply nothing you can do to a hunkered down group of 35 people, because AoEs do not get stronger after the group is bigger than five, they get weaker because you cannot choose who is hit.

• When a truly big guild shows up in Crowfall, we are going to have massive problems. You can see the arms race beginning with some of the guilds mass recruiting heavily. When alliances enter the fray, woo baby.

• Downward pressure on guild recruiting and guild size, upward pressure on organization and tactics.

• I am sorry if this means you need to make guards and vendors have a friend-list mechanic, but it is desperately needed.

• The alliance system is going to make this even more obvious when it is literally an uncoordinated blob of 50 people fighting 50 people just standing among each other.

• Tune up aoes to target up to 10 people. A well-coordinated and timed attack should be rewarded. Blobbing up defensively so that aoes spread out among 50 people should not be rewarded.

Misc.

• Improve the launcher. Make the update bar and percent scaled to the size of the patch, instead of looking like it’s going to download the whole game again. Better buttons with better labels.

• Make the setting “Exit Cursor Mode on Player Movement” default OFF.

• Make the new setting where you have windows reopen default OFF.

• Keeps need player vendors.

• Stay away from language like “decrease/increase” when it comes to things like reductions (i.e. “Decreases Cooldown reduction: Short”). Change it to improves/worsens.

• Hybrid classes (Arbiter, for example) need a way to convert attack power to support power and vice versa

• Get rid of racial crafting and harvesting bonuses. Put them on disciplines only, this feels arbitrary and limiting (especially harvesting bonuses).

giphy.gif

Especially the points about spreading people out more and allowing them to bind to the trees. Currently, everyone is literally tripping over each other and at times within 3 minutes of running from one keep to another. Those are easy fixes with map generation compared to the other points. 

I also like the campaign card suggestion. We have six active at any given time but doing double that for a while would be interesting. 

Edited by Ranik

Shadowbane style advantage / disadvantage disciplines when? ~Yianni 1/21/21

i hate how they nerf things, vengeance right now feels great healing you off the damage you do and it has made titan a very strong option for small scale, but it does not make it strong in large scale and its not unkillable small scale either, i really want vengeance to stay like this so titan can fill some niche again besides noob bait

hoayaga2.jpg

6 hours ago, McTan said:

• Move blended cloth to a crafter.

•  

Blended cloth is a crafting recipe btw its like 2 fibrous roots or what not from plant.

The woods drop on them to allow for a bandage supply when farming although tbh i dunno why they didnt skip the step and make the wartribes drop bandages from time to time although maybe they went with wood so it could also be for basic arrows.

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

My couple of changes i would do is

1.Make all forts in US timezones go at once and all Euro fort time zones go at once to make it harder for zergs to grab them all constantly gives a chance for small guilds to snag one of the zergs dont go for it.

2. Rework talent tree by moving the keystone (Archtype split) much closer in the tree this way you can add more skills behind the archtype to further differentiate class archtypes to be more unique from there other archtypes they could be.

3. More PvP thing to do that isnt on a timer or more reason to take camps and things like mini chests spawn every hour at camps that provice small amount of resources,gold or dust like the forts but much smaller amounts. Also nerf fort drops cause there way too high still

4. Keep seige needs to be war dec instead of a timer system. it can be tiresome to mobilise evry couple days to defend a keep that no one even shows up too. atleast having to war dec with a wager to the attackers adds rick for the attcking force and reward for defenidng force atm it all risk no reward for defenders where attacks is all bonuses with no risks

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

@McTanI agree with most of your content, but Wartribes is simply not enough for an mmo and that scale (massive mulitiplayer online) rpg it need more PvE content small vs large scale challenges/encounters which create PvP conflicts. And as I mention in other topics crafting knowledge is simply too powerful when it is the only viable method to stay competitieve and acquire top tier items is to be forced into crafting, because it is no other options to be updated with the cursed vessel system. (I am not fan of the vessel system, but it is what it is. I can talk more depth about it in another topic when the game is done.) 

You can decide to ignore crafting, but most guilds will trade their failed crafting experience which is not top tier items. Why do you think it`s invidual achievements in most other mmos like ESO? Because it is a (massive multiplayer online) rpg. mmo with many different player styles. I am aware the game is niche, but if I need to learn crafting to get my legendary items in Crowfall - the game is not for me after 7 years of Shadowbane and Darkfall, UO. 

Another point someone mentioned on Q&A yesterday one from LoD is where is the city building that was promised? You can find a location on the map and you decide to seed a tree of life to build some thralls and vendors with some walls to protect it. And it is much more familiar with games like Ark or Rust mode (FFA), because that was Shadowbane as well in a much larger scale and it felt much more immersive. The village had a strategic point on the map near a RG or a Mine in SB or a Fort here in Crowfall. 

Edited by mythx

MQfHl7c.png

Crowfall Game Client: https://www.crowfall.com/en/client/

Every anti-zerg initiative is a good initiative. 

Group/guild skill should matter more than numbers. 

For all I care they could make the damage of the people in the Zergs 0 and I would still be happy. 

Or some increase in mitigation based of numbers in a fight, if that is even possible to make. 

G0dsXi9.jpg

Make groups sized 8-10 and have friendly fire outside of group.

• This game shines in 5v5 to 10v10. As you start getting more than that on the field (with only two sides), it gets to be a massive blob fest that feels and looks really disjointed and messy and noisy.

Agree. The way the powers are designed (hard coded! *shudder*) do not scale well.

Uncle Blob is a big issue.

My long standing suggestions are

- offensive powers should not have target caps, as we supposedly have physics blocking dicating how many can be in an area. remember when melee had actual AoE cone attacks (just not the damage splitting element). if a tech limit, up to 10 max.

- currently allied healing effects are too generous. especially long lasting stackable ground based effects. my previous suggestion was to change the healing of these to a buff effect: meaning you can only have one (or X stacks) of each type active on you at once (cleric circles, divine light, frostweaver etc).

sadly they 'hard coded' target caps, making it a pain to change across the board ¬_¬

thankfully we'll be seeing some overhead toggles/filters soon as i have long been suggesting for the visual noise at least (still leaves a lot from the actual power effects tho...)

Edited by Tinnis
9 hours ago, Tuck_Raven said:

10/10 hope the devs listen to this post

I'm definitely working my way through it.  Frankly, some of the requests are not feasible in the time between now and launch, but others seem reasonable and I'm going to see if we can work them in.

Thanks for the feedback.

Todd

J Todd Coleman

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Going back to this point

On 9/1/2020 at 1:13 PM, McTan said:

Throw a ton of daily victory point cards at us. Make rewards scale to guild size and rank.

• The divine favor system is the unique system for Crowfall. Go all in. Make a million mistakes. Do not shy away from experimenting like crazy.

• Hourly cards, player cards, secret guild cards, either-or cards, simultaneous goal cards (kill 100 of each Wartribe), crazy difficult to execute cards (kill exactly 100 of each wartribe), kill the most alpha spiders, kill the most elders, harvest the most motherlodes, sacrifice chaos embers, sacrifice gold, and on and on and on. 

• Let us choose which we want to do, and make us feel like we cannot do them all.

• When a player logs in, they should be able to survey a bunch of different options and find what they can contribute that day.

• Throw many, many things at us, so big forces have reason to split. Make it so that a giant zerg cannot possibly accomplish all of them during the day, unless they split up to do so.

•  

Looking back at this point after some consideration. I think this may be one of the potentially simplest but most rewarding options. It's the most juice for the easiest squeeze.  I love the look of the campaign cards and season cards. Go nuts with them. Add daily cards add personal cards or unique guild goal cards. 

This would enrich gameplay in lots of ways that I think McTan is right on is entirely unique to Crowfall. 

Trying to run your unique guild cards could make guild vs guild interesting in a new way when you are trying to figure out what the other guys need to do. And if you can hinder them

Shadowbane style advantage / disadvantage disciplines when? ~Yianni 1/21/21

2 hours ago, jtoddcoleman said:

I'm definitely working my way through it.  Frankly, some of the requests are not feasible in the time between now and launch, but others seem reasonable and I'm going to see if we can work them in.

Thanks for the feedback.

Todd

Appreciate your time. I purposefully made it expansive instead of just listing the top bullet points, so you could see some of my rationale and maybe have other more doable things that may address the underlying concern. Good luck!

Edited by McTan
On 9/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, McTan said:

1. Passive training still desperately needs an overhaul.

• Fast to slow. Passive training in its best form should feel like welcome improvements that slow down and lessen over time. The current system feels like a steady slog of necessary but non-player controlled improvements, which creates a sense of helplessness - not something primary crafters (read: people) want to feel.

• Passive training should never gate the ability to contribute to the guild via my crafting and harvest selection. Remove the “need x pips to unlock…” and replace with discipline organized unlocking. Want to use advanced picks? Buy and equip Miner. Add to NPE.

• Ideal seems to be some kind of active/passive combo, but I’m not sure that’s in the cards. Worth saying again, however.

3X training speed! Join my lobby! That speed felt decent in 5.8 (or whenever the wipe before 1x training was).

I think both would feel better. Want to use advanced picks? Equip Miner OR train 5 pips into Mining Basics. I quite like my Villein + Connoisseur build and would hate to be forced to take Miner for advanced picks.

On 9/1/2020 at 2:13 PM, McTan said:

• Limit every wartribe to exactly one kind of sacrifice artifact (keep qualities)

I can't be the only one who actually likes the 5 million different sacrifice items... am I? I must say, however, that I hate how sac items are worth less the higher level you are. If a white sac item is worth 25xp, let be worth 25xp at level 1, at level 30, on a white vessel and on a legendary vessel! Don't diminish their literal only purpose! /rant (I do like that higher quality sac items are worth more at lower levels, but I can do without it if it means the reverse is removed)

giphy.gif

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

On 9/3/2020 at 9:15 AM, jtoddcoleman said:

Thanks for the feedback.

Todd

I was skeptical for a long time but you guys are doing a great job. I love this game and look forward to what the future holds. Appreciate your time.

On 9/3/2020 at 11:30 AM, Ranik said:

Going back to this point

Looking back at this point after some consideration. I think this may be one of the potentially simplest but most rewarding options. It's the most juice for the easiest squeeze.  I love the look of the campaign cards and season cards. Go nuts with them. Add daily cards add personal cards or unique guild goal cards. 

This would enrich gameplay in lots of ways that I think McTan is right on is entirely unique to Crowfall. 

Trying to run your unique guild cards could make guild vs guild interesting in a new way when you are trying to figure out what the other guys need to do. And if you can hinder them

Honestly I think we need to see rewards from divine favor before we mess around with divine favor too much.

Currently a lot of players are just plain ignoring the entire system because the system doesn't assert its importance by way of rewards, and this inherently influences player behavior, and thus how the competition for these cards plays out.

I agree that it is crowfall's most unique system, but a game so heavily dependant on material rewards for its risk/reward group needs to effectively apply that same reward loop to its core victory mechanisms before we can really judge how well they work. E.G. are there enough spawns on the map if the whole game is trying to, say, sacrifice underhill artifacts? How many players that aren't killing underhill would be if doing so also got them additional rewards for placing on the card, or placing higher on the scoreboard? How much harder will organizations work to stop others from completing these goals when loot is on the line? Does the balance between glory, wealth, and power hold up when the cards take center stage as a reward mechanic in stead of just a scoreboard mechanic?

We saw some very different behavior from guilds when gold badges were on the line in the old faction campaigns versus when they were not, and that behavior informed future revisions to how awards were distributed and how score was calculated.

These unknowable behaviorial changes as a result of rewards necessarily impacts both the parameters used for world generation and the design of the cards, so its impossible to know how well or how poorly divine favor is functioning without them.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

Hoping that what jtoddcoleman can get before launch would be at least, point 1 "Spread us out more. Let us choose where we live and build. Point 2 "We need more simultaneous vectors for victory that pressure larger forces to split and attempt multiple things at once."

Point 7 "Make all crafters relevant from day one. You’re bleeding players who want to be crafters because their harvesting and crafting is not relevant to the guild quickly enough."

My list is:

Nerf slayers. Nerf slayers more. Start by increasing pepperbox cooldown, killing the RF+FS stack exploit, make Guineaceans burrow only work in dirt as intended (no rocks, no homes, no stone tiles, nothing, dirt and only dirt), and reduce the range of slayer pistols by 20%. (they're old flintlock balls, they should be short to medium range only)

Buff assassins, give assassins the Confessor ultimate. Assassins have to close to kill, their damage should be very good eh? They shouldn't be meat to slayers, which they are right now.

Fix the exploited Mino 360' stun immunity.

Double the circumference effect of Ranger Flare.

Edited by Kobra
16 hours ago, Kobra said:

Double the circumference effect of Ranger Flare.

What's your reasoning for this? Flare lasts for 30 seconds, and has a 10 second cooldown. It also has no noticeable cost, I can have 3 flares constantly up, covering the entire mountain top at an Urgu Camp. It is also extremely punishing for a stealth class to walk in to a flare, and it is not as obvious as it should be, make it as bright as caltrops.

I Like Fridges Big & Small. I Like Fridges Wide & Tall. I Love Fridges, One & All.