Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Casts in Crowfall (GCD)

DoomYa

Usually a melee attack comes first and the global cooldown (GCD) prevents the next attack to follow immediately.
Casts get executed after they charged up, so they don´t need a GCD.

This fits the scheme. Melee: Hit and think what you did. Caster: Plan your attack and execute it.

In Crowfall it feels as if there was a GCD after casts and what´s even weirder: GCD restarts if you try to cast during GCD.
In WoW we had a serious castbar (Quartz addon) that showed your ping and macros like "/stopcasting; /cast EvilSpell;" for spells to prevent this. Hit the key and it executes, no matter what happened before. Hit it too early and you stop execution of your last cast (bad), hit it in the red (ping) part of your castbar and you started your spell before your client received feedback about the last cast from the server (good).

But perhaps it´s just what it feels to play on NA-East from EU, Germany.

GvTm2yj.gif

• 1 month later...

It still feels wrong. Take a look at this video. You can set speed to slomo under "settings" (cogwheel icon) in YT.

Watch the cast bar, not the numbers. The UI seems to be one GDC behind:

GvTm2yj.gif

There is no uniform GCD as you would see in game like WoW.
All powers have an animation time.
There are very few powers with "cast times" in Crowfall.
Most powers are "instant" type that execute when you press the button.
What you are noticing is that we prevent you from starting your next power by the animation time of the current power.

Thomas Blair
ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.
Follow us on Twitter 
@CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

34 minutes ago, thomasblair said:

What you are noticing is that we prevent you from starting your next power by the animation time of the current power.

Aren't cast times and animation times basically the same thing as far as mechanics in crowfall?

You can be interrupted if hard CC'd during "animation time" and cancel the ability.

For most abilities if you can't interrupt your own locked animations unless you dodge, ultimate, or have a flash cast.

Also, there is a one second GCD on every ability where you are locked out unless its flashcast I am pretty sure.

You can clearly see in the video the one second GCD.

21 hours ago, thomasblair said:

I think some other games implement a skill-queueing system where if you input something close enough to the next skill, it will immediately execute the thing you queued. With Crowfall, this feels like it doesn't happen, so you have to make absolutely sure when you start something, you're not accidentally in the middle of some other skill (usually a basic attack chain). Edit: after some quick testing, Crowfall does appear to at least queue a bit at the end of an animation - or maybe I'm just pressing buttons fast enough.

I notice it most often when I'm trying to swap trays in combat. I'll be basic attacking and then find I need to swap quickly, but if I keep holding down attack, it won't swap, so I basically take my hands off the keyboard + mouse and mash the 'swap tray' button repeatedly (for seconds, it feels like), until it finally works. Then I check to make sure that the swap has actually happened before I start using the next skill. Then I put my hands back on the keyboard + mouse. It feels really clunky. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Maybe that's intended.

I assume there's a tradeoff here between allowing abilities to cancel skills and allowing too much animation cancelling.

Edited by nihilsupernum

On 11/2/2020 at 8:26 PM, thomasblair said:

I notice that I get visual feedback at the end of the cast, not as a response to my keydown event. That leaves me insecure for every event I trigger: "Did it take my keypress?" That´s bad. Haven´t seen this in any game before.

On the other hand: I get instant feedback on keydown when something is on cooldown. This feels inconsistent.

On 11/3/2020 at 5:46 PM, nihilsupernum said:

I notice it most often when I'm trying to swap trays in combat. I'll be basic attacking and then find I need to swap quickly, but if I keep holding down attack, it won't swap, so I basically take my hands off the keyboard + mouse and mash the 'swap tray' button repeatedly (for seconds, it feels like), until it finally works. Then I check to make sure that the swap has actually happened before I start using the next skill. Then I put my hands back on the keyboard + mouse. It feels really clunky. Maybe I just need to get used to it. Maybe that's intended.

This. Sometimes it feels as if triggering the event during the cooldown would renew the cooldown. And again, and again. Sometimes it feels as if this locked me out of that one skill for several seconds, because each new click during cooldown triggers a new cooldown.

@thomasblair

Agree with the above posters. Casting in this game - due to the GCD, excessive cast animations, and / or whatever other technical explanations - is clunky and frustrating. Switching stance bars is an exceptionally painful experience.

@thomasblair - when feedback like this comes through, it would be preferable to get your opinion and if you see it as an issue, rather than a technical explanation of why the current configuration sucks.

I tried to level a Druid today and just could not stomach it. The initial player experience is a 2 second unable-to-control-your-character cast animation for Blight. And basic attacks have a 1-to-1.5 second wind up after the initial mouse click. It just feels so clunky and unresponsive.

I wonder how many players turn away from this game due to the initial combat experience before they even get to some of its more engaging systems.

55 minutes ago, LlFE said:

Agree with the above posters. Casting in this game - due to the GCD, excessive cast animations, and / or whatever other technical explanations - is clunky and frustrating. Switching stance bars is an exceptionally painful experience.

@thomasblair - when feedback like this comes through, it would be preferable to get your opinion and if you see it as an issue, rather than a technical explanation of why the current configuration sucks.

i feel changing trays should be an animation cancel to make it less frustrating/clunky i dont think this would break any classes but it would make the game feel so much better for those duel tray classes.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

On 11/2/2020 at 11:26 AM, thomasblair said:

Interesting, I am going to have to play with framerates during turkey day and see if I can speed up or slow down rotations and/or raw dps like BDO for instance. 😈