Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PvP Tip: Skipping Global Cooldown aka Animation Canceling

EDIT: It got removed. We may see a comeback but it was most likely not working as intended!

Greetings fellow crows,

Since this has been around forever and, to my knowledge, there is no official position on this - I decided to share this as an advanced PvP tip so that new people don't have to reinvent the wheel.

What do I see?

In the above movie you should see the ability usage frequency between using or not animation canceling. The right side movie is not accelerated.

Who can do this?

Classes that have Right Click abilities that are not dodges like Knights, Templars, Clerics

How it works?

After you press the ability (can be end of a combo) immediately Right Click and press the next ability!

This takes some practice but if mastered then your damage output will increase by a decent amount.

On 9/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, BehindYou said:

Can cancel most of slayers casts with the flint as well. Rapid fire can be canceled right after starting it and will continue to do it's full damage. 

/salute

Edited by Prometeu

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS
Recruitment Post - Guild Recruiting and Management - #warstory
Visit us at www.kdsguild.ro

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't mind animation cancelling for the most part.  On myrm it's common to use neck slash to cancel the very long berserk/frenzy/vengeance animation. That's minor in the scheme of things.

Normally if you animation cancel something, the thing you cancelled stops. In Crowfall though, the original skill keeps going even after it's canceled. It's clearly indicative of a flaw in the co

Some charged attacks are coded to rarely hit their target, even if you're on target.  IM LOOKING AT YOU SPIRIT BEAR!

Hah I was wondering how long it was going to be when people figure this out. 

It's worth noting that some abilities will not fire off if you pre-maturely animation cancel so be sure you actually look in the combat log to make sure it's doing damage. 

there are alot of other flashcast things ingame.

pretty sure smart ppl who are not "playing with fire" or "for fun" can get clue on this mechanics in 1-2 days playing if chose right class.

else it does not matter.

crowfall pvp makkonMyrmidon statement: rangefall

Discord makkon#8550

1 hour ago, ZYBAK said:

It's worth noting that some abilities will not fire off if you pre-maturely animation cancel so be sure you actually look in the combat log to make sure it's doing damage. 

True, as playing knight, the timing is a bit different for each spell you use, and you can spoil a spell if you miss the combo. the mechanic on knight is that you can shield while animating, and also you can add an auto-attack on a few spells (spell+auto while shielding).

Unless it breaks the charts, I prefer to see it as a part of the learning curve of your class.

Edited by Cerento
1 hour ago, BarriaKarl said:

This "no oficial position on things' is get a bit annoying. People are exploting the heck out of loopholes but since ACE dont call people on their BS they walk away feeling like pro players.

AdVAnCeD PvP TiPs

smh

animation cancelling is a thing in a lot of mmos, it seems strange ACE would be the only company to take a stance against it which is what you want them to do apparently 

Edit: just watched it and if you wanted to show the speed difference why didnt you use execute on the left as well

Edited by Staff

hoayaga2.jpg

8 hours ago, Staff said:

animation cancelling is a thing in a lot of mmos, it seems strange ACE would be the only company to take a stance against it which is what you want them to do apparently 

Normally if you animation cancel something, the thing you cancelled stops.

In Crowfall though, the original skill keeps going even after it's canceled. It's clearly indicative of a flaw in the combat system or game engine. If you start a rapid fire and cancel it after 1 shot, you should get 1 shot's worth of damage, not 3 or 4 or however long it keeps going. Each attack that lands on another player should correspond to a part of the animation that successfully goes off.

Right now I can start a long animation, immediately dodge, and the attack will land even though I didn't *do* anything other than press the button. That's just broken. Eg. On Assassin, Diffusion (1.5s hugely telegraphed animation) + instant dodge.  Even though I'm nowhere near my opponent and no animation played at all, the diffusion will still hit them.

9 hours ago, Staff said:

Edit: just watched it and if you wanted to show the speed difference why didnt you use execute on the left as well

I like it when it isn't wonky mechanics and coding.

Considering ACE has been rather anti-twitch from the start, I am curious if such an improvement in performance is intended for those that have fast fingers. Templar animations seem intentionally slowed down to telegraph what they are doing so to bypass that by extra clicking might not be intended. No clue though.

As some powers clearly state they an be fast cast, not sure if others should be activated through other means bypassing their default execution.

When mob telegraphed attacks can still trigger/land even if killed mid animation, clearly things are a bit wonky somewhere. How things trigger/cancel probably needs another look.

CqYhTNu.jpg

12 hours ago, BehindYou said:

Can cancel most of slayers casts with the flint as well. Rapid fire can be canceled right after starting it and will continue to do it's full damage. 

Pretty sure that's a bug. And what prometeu is sharing probably isn't intended

Edited by yianni
3 hours ago, Jah said:

Which is ironic given the sanctimonious finger-wagging he was doing just a day earlier at people for attacking walls.

So in this case you know what 'ACE intends and what they don't' and pass judgement on it.

On 9/6/2020 at 3:09 AM, Jah said:

I can't tell you what ACE intends and what they don't. It is often mysterious. But given how long people have been hitting walls for, there is no evidence that ACE has a problem with it. 

I understand politics but at least be subtle about it, loosing message consistency inside 72h is not helping sir.

/salute

Edited by Prometeu

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS

6 minutes ago, Prometeu said:

So in this case you know what 'ACE intends and what they don't' and pass judgement on it.

Nope. That is what you do. You judged us for attacking walls. I've passed no judgement on you for animation cancelling.

IhhQKY6.gif

3 hours ago, yianni said:

Pretty sure that's a bug. And what prometeu is sharing probably isn't intended

I'm not entirely sure but I can't disagree with you either. All I can say is that I've been trying to get an answer and I have failed so far.

I can try this again in here:

@jtoddcolemanis the above mechanic an intended mechanic or is ACE aware of it and working on a fix?

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS

7 minutes ago, Jah said:

Nope. That is what you do. You judged us for attacking walls. I've passed no judgement on you for animation cancelling.

I judged you for attacking walls with regular weapons while this game features a few siege weapons and their latest promotion movies put quite an emphasis on that mechanic.

If the two situations are similar to you, then we can agree to disagree sir!

/salute

Edited by Prometeu

Gen. Prom
Guild Leader of KDS

I don't mind animation cancelling for the most part. 

On myrm it's common to use neck slash to cancel the very long berserk/frenzy/vengeance animation. That's minor in the scheme of things.

Honestly the most broken thing I've seen is how rapid fire will continue channeling if you animation cancel into another ability on a Duelist. That's the only thing I'd consider "broken" that needs fixing that I'm aware of. 

Overall animation cancelling is a high skill cap thing that I think Crowfall should have more of. 

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website