Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Moving with the mouse.

Ravenstorm

11 hours ago, Ravenstorm said:

Since mouse movement is currently broken, now is a good time to talk about it.

Please make it so I can dedicate one mouse button or the other for forward movement.

Why not use wasd like the rest of the world

3 hours ago, Ravenstorm said:

Keyboard turning in a PvP game? Might as well tell me to mouse click hotbar abilities too.

People don't use WASD to turn in PvP. That doesn't even work in combat. You turn by moving your mouse and use WASD to move forward/back and to strafe. Like most PvP games.

IhhQKY6.gif

4 hours ago, Ravenstorm said:

Keyboard turning in a PvP game? Might as well tell me to mouse click hotbar abilities too.

Welcome to the world of strafing. Enjoy your stay. 

But for real do people play mmos like that? like click to move like Diablo? or like a run button on mouse? like its a gas pedal? My mind has been Blown by this thread.

4 hours ago, PsylentScream said:

Welcome to the world of strafing. Enjoy your stay. 

But for real do people play mmos like that? like click to move like Diablo? or like a run button on mouse? like its a gas pedal? My mind has been Blown by this thread.

I'm used to doing all my driving with my mouse. Both mouse buttons for forward works fine, when it is working.

5 hours ago, Jah said:

People don't use WASD to turn in PvP. That doesn't even work in combat. You turn by moving your mouse and use WASD to move forward/back and to strafe. Like most PvP games.

I drive with the mouse and strafe with mouse buttons 4 and 5.

4 hours ago, Zatch said:

I dont think you know what keyboard turning is.

Uh, what do you think it is? Granted Crowfall is a bit different with mouse look always on. But keyboard turning is literally using your keyboard to turn your MMO toon as opposed to mouse turning where you can turn faster by turning during jumps or just reorienting your toon faster.

As Jah pointed out you HAVE TO steer with your mouse in Crowfall, why not control all movement with one hand?

Edited by Ravenstorm

Just for the curious, my typical MMO mouse setup is ;

Both mouse buttons for forward, middle mouse button for reverse, and the side buttons (4 and 5) for strafing.
I have an additional button on the side I can use for basic attacks or clicking things.

This puts all the driving in one hand and leaves the other hand open for keying abilities.

Edited by Ravenstorm

29 minutes ago, Ravenstorm said:

Just for the curious, my typical MMO mouse setup is ;

Both mouse buttons for forward, middle mouse button for reverse, and the side buttons (4 and 5) for strafing.
I have an additional button on the side I can use for basic attacks or clicking things.

This puts all the driving in one hand and leaves the other hand open for keying abilities.

This blows my mind.  Not in a bad way...it's just foreign to me.  I can definitely see the appeal, it just seems like you could get more precise and efficient control by using wasd + mouse.  There could be lots of reasons to prefer a one stop shop for control though.  Bravo.  By the way, I have seen mice with small joysticks/d-pad along with thumb buttons on the side.  I want one.

23 minutes ago, goqua said:

This blows my mind.  Not in a bad way...it's just foreign to me.  I can definitely see the appeal, it just seems like you could get more precise and efficient control by using wasd + mouse.  There could be lots of reasons to prefer a one stop shop for control though.  Bravo.  By the way, I have seen mice with small joysticks/d-pad along with thumb buttons on the side.  I want one.

Well, the appeal is you never have to stop moving or aiming.

Lets say you use the standard keymap and you have a pretty beefy rotation of skills that has you regularly reaching for 8 9 0 to fire off abilities. You either have to take your hand off of WASD or take your hand off the mouse. Take your hand off WASD and you are not moving or strafing, take your hand off of the mouse and you are not aiming.

I remap skills to  1 2 3 4 5   (SECONDARY OR SITUATIONAL ABILITIES)
                          Q W E R T  (MAIN ABILITIES)
                          A S D F G   ( ULTIMATE- RETALIATE -DODGE- BASIC ATTACK- ALTERNATE ABILITY)
                          Z X C V B  ( TRAYS AND LOOTING)

Never have to stop moving, and my old hands don't have to reach around so much, everything is right there.

It does take a little getting used to though.

Edited by Ravenstorm

13 hours ago, Ravenstorm said:

Well, the appeal is you never have to stop moving or aiming.

Lets say you use the standard keymap and you have a pretty beefy rotation of skills that has you regularly reaching for 8 9 0 to fire off abilities. You either have to take your hand off of WASD or take your hand off the mouse. Take your hand off WASD and you are not moving or strafing, take your hand off of the mouse and you are not aiming.

I remap skills to  1 2 3 4 5   (SECONDARY OR SITUATIONAL ABILITIES)
                          Q W E R T  (MAIN ABILITIES)
                          A S D F G   ( ULTIMATE- RETALIATE -DODGE- BASIC ATTACK- ALTERNATE ABILITY)
                          Z X C V B  ( TRAYS AND LOOTING)

Never have to stop moving, and my old hands don't have to reach around so much, everything is right there.

It does take a little getting used to though.

I have never used 6-0 on my keyboard in a game. I just double or triple up on functions on my lower numbers by adding a modifier keys. I do shift from wasd for movement to esdf for movement opening up more keys for easy access. But your system sounds like it works for you. I have never seen anyone else play like that so hats off to you.

WSAD works best when you switch weapons with surrounding keys and fire them with mouse1/ mouse2.
It works clunky if you have to press the surrounding keys for each attack.
It stops working completely if you have to hold surrounding keys to attack while movement is allowed.

So, yes, movement with mouse1+mouse2 would be nice in Crowfall.

GvTm2yj.gif

I fully support all input customization options in all video games ever, even if I will never understand some people's input setups.

I will also never understand the default keybinding of an action MMO putting abilities all the way over on like 9.

Personally I use wasd and have ctrl, alt, and some other hotkeys bound to my mouse so the hotbar is like 1234rqe, ctrl-1234rqe, alt-1234rqe, with binds for stuff like map, inventory, push to talk, abilities I want to use on the move, etc. on the mouse, and then zxcfvg with ctrl-alt avaliable for other things. I also bind like ctrl or alt wasd to abilities I'm likely to want to use on the move (for example, ctrl-w for pursuit)

This setup lets me have quick access to like 30+inputs without moving my hands or stopping movement so I can use it in basically every game I play, ntm I use the ctrl and alt thumb binds for work.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

On 9/24/2020 at 6:05 AM, Ravenstorm said:

^ 100% this. Only been playing like a couple hours as of this post, but if this entire action bar is gonna be filled with abilities, it's gonna be a nightmare to have action combat in this game. Not sure how they figure people are gonna be able to hit 1-0 while having to constantly press wasd, but I'd prefer the solution to not be dumb the game down by having a limited number of abilities. Hopefully tab targeting will be an option at least.

Edited by samwiseanthrax

• 4 months later...