Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

My Ideas for a Vanguard Scout Revamp.

Overtalker

One thing that has always bugged me as when looking at Duelist is Vanguard Scout. It's such a poorly designed class with no identity at all that I don't think any amount of balancing would make this class good without completely busting it since its a class that wants to be perma-stealthed.

So what needs to be done to it?

Firstly, it shouldn't be a Melee Damage class. Duelist in its entirety doesn't have a skill that is both a melee attack and keeps you in stealth so why is it classed as melee? Dirge already does Melee Damage well enough despite not being tagged as melee damage. VS should not be Ranged Damage either as this is Slayer's space. What VS should be is Ranged Control.

Making VS a Ranged Control spec makes it makes it more balanceable in terms of damage as dealing huge amounts of damage is no longer it's role allowing it to be balanced on how well it CC's an enemy. The way I see it as a Ranged CC is making it comparable to Inquisitor Confessor.

It's main skill with this change would be Cheap Shots applying Armour Break to all targets hit by it, this is comparable to Inquisitor's capstone that applies Elemental Break but would come with an increased cooldown on Cheap Shots to counteract this power boost. This might seem insane atm with Reverb and Slayers running rampant but with patches like 6.2 we can at least hope for things to be a little more balanced in the future.

It's 2nd main skill would be Go For Broke! This skill would stay unchanged in terms of cooldowns however it would apply an increasingly severe Blackmantle (the fixed version) depending on how many Pips are spent casting it. Yes that's right, Pips. Along with this change would be the removal of VS's current capstone and it being replaced with gaining 1 pip every 3 seconds while maintaining stealth along with the ability to use Pepperbox Shot (hopefully nerfed), Inconceivable! and Redirect Pain in stealth.

It's final main skill would be a new ultimate, Lookout. this is a mass expose (max 5 targets) on a 500 soul power bar with the VS gaining more soul power while attacking in stealth.

Along with this would be the usual passives that CC specs get like the various Control Intensity skills though the in stealth damage bonus it has would be replaced with Ranged Distance Bonus like Dirge and Slayer has.

Edit: I think VS getting Mail would be a good choice too.

These changes in my opinion would give VS a very good identity as a purely in stealth class with a much weaker out of stealth game than Slayer and Dirge. With the inevitable nerf of Pepperbox Shot a VS when caught with these changes would have to run away from the fight or get stomped on.

Opinions on this are greatly appreciated as Vanguard Scout is a spec that doesn't even have a good matchup and likely wont with 6.2 without some serious changes so anything we can come up with that would balance it and ACE seeing it might bring life into a class that has never really been good.

Edited by Overtalker

7 minutes ago, Zatch said:

sounds like an i sit in stealth and do nothing class. There are better examples out there for what the vanguard scout should do. 

Hmm the last time VS got mentioned on a post from what I can see was back in march with the only suggestion being to give it a quicker re-stealth and that being the only other mention this year. My idea definitely isn't perfect it's just there to try and open up discussion rather than being what VS has to be to be any good.

Edited by Overtalker

Combat should reward players who actively do things. Sitting in stealth and using skills on a 15second rotation is dull and a nightmare to balance. 

20 minutes ago, Zatch said:

Combat should reward players who actively do things. Sitting in stealth and using skills on a 15second rotation is dull and a nightmare to balance. 

There's definitely other ways it could be taken and I'll have to go dig up some discussions elsewhere on what others have posted about. These ideas were just stepping up the only playstyle I had while playing with VS myself where I had any chance of success at all (A pistol VS that tried to never leave stealth). It could definitely do the melee damage role though it would likely end up just being a slightly different assassin or dirge and would need some kind of revamp itself since VS's talent tree is that messed up and focusses on ranged damage and health for some reason not even having attack power on a melee class where it can get off 1 melee skill in stealth before it gets un-stealthed. Really hope it finds it's place in 6.2 as currently dirge and slayer have their respective damages covered while having plenty of CC putting VS in a corner of what role it should have other than a purely in-stealth class.

Seems like ACE is set on making stealth as useless as possible in-combat and more for pre/post use.

Not sure any stealth heavy promo is going to make sense with the overall way things are.

Not sure what a "Vanguard Scout" is even supposed to be.

If they are supposed to be out scouting and assisting a larger group, then I like the idea of giving attacks the ability to debuff/CC multiple characters, especially at a further range to assist the rest of the group. While not being a powerhouse in either melee or range themselves.

Inconceivable and Redirect Pain should/could function completely differently for each promo.

For Scout it could be +range, +resists, # of players debuffed/CC, duration of debuffs, or any number of things that aren't just more DPS that this game is a fan of.

This sort of applies to all "CC" or misc promos. If designed well, support roles could be as important if not more then adding another healer or whatever flavor of DPS.