Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Tatwi

Voice Chat - Please Consider Not Using Vivox To Deliver It.

I'm not here to "bash the company" or their service. I'm simply going to "put it out there" that in the three games that I have played which used the Vivox service for their voice chat (SWG, EQII, PS2), the service has had a consistent history of being flakey, buggy, and just plain nonfunctional for hours, days, and even weeks on end. In SWG we had a chain email we kept around that gave a bunch of wacky steps to try and get it working again... In PS2 it mostly either worked or it didn't, sometimes both at once for different folks... I heard the same from people about in EQII, but I didn't personally use it as often there to say with certainty the service in EQII was as unfortunate as it was in SWG and (remains in) PS2.

I understand that Vivox is "The Number One Voice Platform for Online Games", but I think that might just have a lot more to do with the lack of competition in the field than the quality and reliability of their service. I'm just sayin'... 

Vivox is a great idea, and when it works it's pretty decent, but in my experience it's not something that guild can rely on to deliver quality service, every day. In my experience specifically with Planetside 2, Team Speak 3 seems to be the "go-to" program for most people, especially the large Outfits (guilds) who run "ops" with (easily) 60+ people. While TS3 does have more organizational tools than what Vivox implementations generally offer, the bottom line is that folks choose to use TS3, because it works.

I'm not sure what alternatives are out there for voice chat services, but I thought I would take a moment to suggest that alternatives to Vivox be explored. Maybe there's something else that can provide a more reliable experience.

I really think who ever or what ever system PlanetSide 2 (SoE) is using works very well. I love their Group and Proximity voice chat options.

Edited by thenebrosity

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I really think who ever or what ever system PlanetSide 2 (SoE) is using works very well. I love their Group and Proximity voice chat options.

It's Vivox and as I said, when it works it's great. 

Also some perspective to consider in regards To my experience with Vivox, I have not used it since I stopped playing PS2 in Dec 2014 and I rarely used it in 2014, as I had grown accustomed to not using it.

Ps. Personally, I don't like using voip when playing games and I only do for organized events where it is required. My SWG and WoW guildies were an exception, as they were a handful of folks I knew years (and none were annoying trolls, etc...).

It's Vivox and as I said, when it works it's great. 

Also some perspective to consider in regards To my experience with Vivox, I have not used it since I stopped playing PS2 in Dec 2014 and I rarely used it in 2014, as I had grown accustomed to not using it.

Ps. Personally, I don't like using voip when playing games and I only do for organized events where it is required. My SWG and WoW guildies were an exception, as they were a handful of folks I knew years (and none were annoying trolls, etc...).

Yeah, I can definitely see where you're coming from.. the Proximity voice chat for PS2 is almost always broken.. in one of the recent patches it was out for almost a month.. but yeah when it works it's awesome but pretty frustrating when it's out.

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I would prefer not to have any integrated voice chat whatsoever.

I feel exactly the same. In most cases I've seen where a game has integrated voice chat it usually ends with guilds/groups using TS/Mumble/whatever anyway.

let's not loading the game additional content and will use good old teamspeak :)

teamspeak doesn't give the same immersive experience of a built in local voice chat that replaces /say to let you easily and quickly interact with random people you come across in the world

teamspeak doesn't give the same immersive experience of a built in local voice chat that replaces /say to let you easily and quickly interact with random people you come across in the world

I agree with this, an in-game voice system helps people become accustom to what larger more organized guilds are already doing, that is, using voice chat to organize PvP since it's more effective.

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I can't speak for the rest, but I for one don't want to listen to squeaky prepubescent screams of thenebrosity while I am murdering him in cold blood. It is just inhumane for everyone around him.

or moans of pleasure.. mmm you know you like it baby

OQa1xvz.png?1

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

In game voice has added a lot of interesting qualities to games.  It seems to be the way a lot of online games are heading.

I think it works especially well for PvP games because people like talking trash and of course it's always a setting people could turn off if they don't like it. 

and voice doesn't give me the same immersive experience when I hear a child scream about my mother/family/etc.

etDenA9.png
Camaraderie ~ Loyalty ~ Honor ~ Maturity ~ Integrity ~ Duty

and voice doesn't give me the same immersive experience when I hear a child scream about my mother/family/etc.

you could just choose to disable the feature if you are antisocial.

I love the idea of in-game Voice chat, for example in Rust or H1Z1. Also Evolve has a very good voice chat for teams.

But of course we need a way to mute those annoying players.

Unfortunately, killing is one of those things that gets easier the more you do it.

you could just choose to disable the feature if you are antisocial.

Lord knows I would.  In my experience with automatic public voice chat (PC and console alike) there has always been some a-hole who's blaring loud noises non-stop into their mic, blowing into the mic. constantly, or some squeaky headed kid yelling obscenities.  Yeah, I'll just turn it off.