Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Dynamic aoe caps as "soft" anti-zerg mechanic

Might have been suggested in some form already and there also might be a good reason for it to be as it is right now (I think if not explicitly stated, the aoe cap is 5), but anyways: 
Why not make the aoe cap dynamic, based on how many allies and enemies are in a radius of let's say 100m? 
Doesn't have to be recalculated more than once every couple seconds. 

E.g. aoe cap for abilities (excluding heals) gets increased by up to 100%, based on enemies within 100m divided by you & allies within 100m

Your damaging/cc aoes in a scenario of 15 vs 20 would be able to hit 5*(20/15) = 6 people (rounded down)
Your damaging/cc aoes in a scenario of 15 vs 30 would be able to hit 5*(30/15) = 10 people

Maybe servers can't handle it but would surprise me tbh.

Or the idea is stupid for some other reason, then roast it.

Why would you build a game that is designed to stack as many dudes on a point as possible and then penalize people for stacking as many dudes on a point as possible.

People need to stop suggesting these insane "anti-zerg" measures that just handicap the team with less guys.

The whole point of alliances and mass warfare is to incentivize people to bring as many people to a fight as they can, not to do algebra every 30 seconds to determine how many people you should tell not to show up so you can game the system with AoE specs.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

6 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Why would you build a game that is designed to stack as many dudes on a point as possible and then penalize people for stacking as many dudes on a point as possible.

People need to stop suggesting these insane "anti-zerg" measures that just handicap the team with less guys.

The whole point of alliances and mass warfare is to incentivize people to bring as many people to a fight as they can, not to do algebra every 30 seconds to determine how many people you should tell not to show up so you can game the system with AoE specs.

if they continue go down that road dregs will just become factions, people wiill stack into 2 major factions and fight, and it will become a who has more players. "Oh you have 400 we have 500, we win this siege, try again tommorow?"

12 hours ago, pamintandrei said:

if they continue go down that road dregs will just become factions, people wiill stack into 2 major factions and fight, and it will become a who has more players. "Oh you have 400 we have 500, we win this siege, try again tommorow?"

How did you think it was going to go?

That is going to happen regardless of the combat system in play dude. More dudes is always, always, always better. Whether you're gaming the system to put endless waves of 20 man groups on a rotation, splitting them to multiple points, or stacking them all in once place, the endgame of dregs being the domain of very large alliances is an inevitability as it is in any pvp space with player controlled teams.

You're lying to yourself if you think it is possible to both simultaneously allow players to stack steams and actually have a game where the most stacked teams don't run everything.

PopeSigGIF.gif

48 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

How did you think it was going to go?

That is going to happen regardless of the combat system in play dude. More dudes is always, always, always better. Whether you're gaming the system to put endless waves of 20 man groups on a rotation, splitting them to multiple points, or stacking them all in once place, the endgame of dregs being the domain of very large alliances is an inevitability as it is in any pvp space with player controlled teams.

You're lying to yourself if you think it is possible to both simultaneously allow players to stack steams and actually have a game where the most stacked teams don't run everything.

I had hoped there would be some degree of risk vs reward or anything to drive players towards more "smart" plays instead of path of least resistance of stacking bodies. With all the other games/systems to look at for inspiration, seems ACE went with the lowest hanging fruit possible.

No system is going to be perfect, but there is a lot of options to at least try to work towards a more interesting experience.

I said from the start that I doubted GvG/Dregs would work out too well and that Faction campaigns would probably end up being more popular for various reasons. If Dregs essentially is giant blobs going at it, guess I wasn't too far off.

What I find funny is how many players/guilds say factions aren't the "real game" but essentially turn Dregs into faction gameplay. All that guild pride and chest pounding thrown out the window for the easier win.

35 minutes ago, APE said:

I had hoped there would be some degree of risk vs reward or anything to drive players towards more "smart" plays instead of path of least resistance of stacking bodies. With all the other games/systems to look at for inspiration, seems ACE went with the lowest hanging fruit possible.

No system is going to be perfect, but there is a lot of options to at least try to work towards a more interesting experience.

I said from the start that I doubted GvG/Dregs would work out too well and that Faction campaigns would probably end up being more popular for various reasons. If Dregs essentially is giant blobs going at it, guess I wasn't too far off.

What I find funny is how many players/guilds say factions aren't the "real game" but essentially turn Dregs into faction gameplay. All that guild pride and chest pounding thrown out the window for the easier win.

No no you misunderstand. You get to choose who's on your faction in Dregs. Totally different gameplay.

KGV_sig.png

You Can't Be A Genius, If You Aren't The Slightest Bit Insane.

1 hour ago, coolster50 said:

No no you misunderstand. You get to choose who's on your faction in Dregs. Totally different gameplay.

😴😴😴😴😴

I actually prefer RvR/Faction formats when executed well. Regardless of joining a side or forming alliances. However, I also prefer more siege/conquest mechanics to there is a bit of strategy/depth beyond numbers.

Edited by APE

2 hours ago, APE said:

😴😴😴😴😴

I actually prefer RvR/Faction formats when executed well. Regardless of joining a side or forming alliances. However, I also prefer more siege/conquest mechanics to there is a bit of strategy/depth beyond numbers.

The wards were a good start, but changing them from destructables to capture circles would instantly improve the siege game. simple require attackers to control all wards to damage the tree rather than systematically destroy them permanently one at a time. Make the bane trees a capture circle that must be owned to deal damage to them.

A system that was designed to make sieges more dynamic and force more splits and tactical play essentially did nothing but add more walking to the same "pile all your dudes together and hit the thing" mechanic.

It seems very odd to me that the game trains you that capture points are the central mechanism for structured group content, layered on top of with destructable walls (only on SOME forts now), and then at the endgame of that content they are completely replaced with a completely different system in stead of built upon.

PopeSigGIF.gif