Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How close is Crowfall to being released really?

Talmien

It was videos like this one that got me interested enough in Crowfall to help kickstart the project. After watching it again, and listening to the "list of features", it seems like that list is still very far from being realized, and also has perhaps just gone in totally different direction.

The things that enticed me were , "The world has ancient ruins, towns, caves, stuff for players to explore". The were going to be very randomized and vastly different. But from the campaigns I've seen, they land is very small, and broken into little islands with a couple of forts to capture, and I don't think I've seen anyone digging tunnels anywhere... And it seems like there still might be a "Uncle Bob" problem.

I know kickstarting is a risk, its something I no longer do, because it seems you never get the game that was initially envisioned.

Yeah, it's mostly because of CrowFall that I am hesitant to "invest" in any Early Access games now. I put in the $250 or something package around two years ago because I thought the game was going to reflect something like their early videos and vision (sure, I had a few suggestions at time as well, but mostly I was on board.) Now, the game feels empty to me, a chore more than something to enjoy, and I don't have any confidence that they will have a releasable game in 2020 - which I think was their initial goal in early 2020 prior to the pandemic. (Despite all that, I do still have hope though).

But who am I, I am just a lowly Piapiac...

Edited by ilogos

The fact that Unity came in last week to help troubleshoot the performance means they are trying hard to close that gap. It will most likely take several iterations to get things better, maybe quite a few changes. Plus 6.2 is a few more weeks away, so I would expect at least April 2021.

Well, if you read between the lines of what they are saying it sounds not unlike the instanced battlegrounds we have now, just with some features missing.

November 2021 and it will be too early at that.

I doubt that the game can be finished enough to be well received by the potential player base prior to April or May of 2021.

However, it's been my experience over many years of backing & testing many games that the devs rarely wait until the game is 'ready' to launch. Most teams launch when they MUST to get some revenue flowing in to offset the burn rate (and to offer the investors some return on their investment.

THAT date is likely to be prior to Christmas 2020.  Will it be good enough by then? We the player/tester community can't know and the devs probably don't know yet. 

Mac

Two BIG things make me hesitant to assume we're getting a Release by the end of next year:

1. The performance issues are horrendous. I just came to the game, so I can't tell you how much it has to do with the most recent patch (6.1). I can say that if it weren't for being with a good Guild, hearing about the upcoming Class changes, and them inviting the Unity Folks in to help, I'd be gone. Which brings us to the second thing.

2. Complete Class overhaul. They're basically revamping the entire Class system, and adding minor (hopefully) tweaks to the Passive System. The game is at least 5 years into Development and the Class system is changing. And it's changing around current Assets which (to me, at least) sounds like a handicap. 

So... add those together. They're trying to improve performance issues while, at the same time, revamping their entire Class system. When issues arise, will they be because of the new Class coding, old Class OR network code, or a combination of the two? That sounds like a huge headache to resolve, in and of itself. 

Don't get me wrong, I'm invested in the game now so I'm trying to remain hopeful/optimistic... but I have no idea how they're going to resolve stuff in a timely fashion while trying to recode, and optimize, two intertwined aspects of the game at the same time.

Edited by Rabbit_Games

not happening in 2020. I starter playing a month ago. game is still too raw to release.

1 World feels extremely empty.

2 Optimization needs to happen.

3 Class rework coming, and it will need polish.

4 There are unreasonable, pointless things in game that needs a 2nd look to be either reworked or removed. (like arrows for range, toxins for assassin and etc.)

5 Combat needs fine tuning. 

6 Economical system needs a 2nd look.

7, leveling experience needs rework and/or tuning.

8 various QOL changes need to happen (like quest tracking on main screen, a guild search tab, guild tab and etc.)

this is not the end. With all that said, if ACE does it all, game will release next fall at best. that's if they dont slack and etc.

IF they going to release the game just optimization and class rework/polish, the following will happen: They will get good advertisement campaign going to hype it up for sales. People will fall for it, because this game's vision is GRAND, and 3-4 weeks later game will drop dead having 1-2k people playing at most. Every one else will leave, seeing how game is another lemon and there is nothing to do, a lot of things missing, balance is not in place and etc. And those 1-2k people who will continue playing, will probably be the original backers, who invested so much into the game by that points, they they became a prisoner of their own action. You know when you spend too much on some thing, you know you can't get a refund, so you're tying to get your money worth out of that something. 

I say ACE need to address all things first, take another year, properly polish the game, give it things to do, tune up combat and etc. And only after all that release it. If this is done, fall 2021 will be open beta and probably early 2022 will be official release. 

i strongly believe that in it's current state game is far from being ready for release. 

14 hours ago, MacDeath said:

However, it's been my experience over many years of backing & testing many games that the devs rarely wait until the game is 'ready' to launch. Most teams launch when they MUST to get some revenue flowing in to offset the burn rate (and to offer the investors some return on their investment.

THAT date is likely to be prior to Christmas 2020.  Will it be good enough by then? We the player/tester community can't know and the devs probably don't know yet. 

I would push that out even farther due to covid-19 issues at workplaces. I think they said ~20% delay, but I would put that number upwards of 40%. Even though they have a tiny fraction of workforce I am sure compliance is costing them a ton in wasted manpower. They did receive ~1.5million from PPP fund this summer, so that should carry them through 2020 without too much stress especially since coding work is less affected compared to projects that require face to face or group work. 

17 hours ago, Spawl said:

The fact that Unity came in last week to help troubleshoot the performance means they are trying hard to close that gap. It will most likely take several iterations to get things better, maybe quite a few changes. Plus 6.2 is a few more weeks away, so I would expect at least April 2021.

The fact they had to call the unity team in to fix their game, should worry the living hell out of you, if you know anything about the development pipeline. 

2 minutes ago, KayNine said:

The fact they had to call the unity team in to fix their game, should worry the living hell out of you, if you know anything about the development pipeline. 

I don't think it is that unusual to get support from the provider of software, especially when you are doing something unusual with that software.

IhhQKY6.gif

3 minutes ago, Jah said:

I don't think it is that unusual to get support from the provider of software, especially when you are doing something unusual with that software.

But It is. Very. Especially from a studio like AOC. Its a pretty simple pipeline, you optimize your game AS YOU WORK ON IT. You don't just compile a a ton of terribly optimized code and models on top of each other and keep letting it pile up and pile up and pile up since day 1. You optimize as you work. So now whats happen, is they're completely overwhelmed and have no idea where to start on optimization. So they call in the cavalry to fix THEIR mess. Thats a problem. A huge problem. 

Edited by KayNine

40 minutes ago, Jah said:

Telling me Unity isn't a MMO engine?

Next going to tell me that it will deliver performance that games with in-house engines and limitless resources can barely manage?

I'm still confused why they brought in people to help work on performance. Isn't it the "last" thing that is done?

2 minutes ago, APE said:

I'm still confused why they brought in people to help work on performance. Isn't it the "last" thing that is done?

They deemed it time, I imagine.

IhhQKY6.gif

Optimization is always one of the last things to do in game development. Normally studios spend the last 2-3 months of development just focused on optimizing. Things are always changing while iterating, no need to optimize assets that will/may change in the future. Don't nail it to the wall while you're still measuring. :)

That being said, I'm sure they have been optimizing as they worked, when it makes sense. Just not to a degree that would make the game run amazing.

Plus they have a very small team for what they're making.

-Red

9 minutes ago, APE said:

I think we are finally at the stage where it could be done. I dont see any more 'combat changes' in the future. All changes we have coming are either in design, rework  or the likes. None that would mess with any combat performance upgrades they do today.

I mean, going forward I expect rewards, guild/friends ingame UI, EKs revamp, maybe some revamp on how game loop and the like works to fix the fact no one login out of siege.

I would agree it might clash with the still to come 6.2 changes. Combat will be vastly different. But there is no reason why we cant do the test again later and have the Unity guys help out again. Plus considering the abysmal performance today I think this pass will be more about fixing glaring obvious issues that shouldnt be much affected by any small changes they do forward.

Edited by BarriaKarl

21 minutes ago, redsett said:

Plus they have a very small team for what they're making.

That is stretching the truth quite a bit. The have 65 some employee's and have over 40 for a few years. in 2016 this game was a playable battle royale, to be fair they are way overstaffed for what they produced.

I suppose it's relative, I'm used to seeing 400+ devs working on the big mmos if you include all of the outsourcers. I'm not sure how much outsourcing they are doing on CF vs inhouse.

-Red