Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Archdruid still Struggling after 6.2?

Kambien

My experience so far is that the archdruid is better but still quite lacking.  The 2 major problems I see, seem to be low access to minors and majors with stat bonuses that are effective, and 2 of the archdruid specific skills are ineffective in normal combat situations.  Barksin still gives bonus to thorns, but we have no way to modify thorns so barkskin is still extremely underwhelming as an "upgrade" skill.   Maybe make the thorns related minors increase the thorns bonus and bring back explosive thorns? The archdruid orb passive is another problem.  The increased duration was helpful, but still relies on a difficult and cumbersome mechanic.  Landing orbs is challenging, conditions have to be just right for the enemy to fall for an archdruid trap, and it only works if they are bad at hitting R and rolling out of it.  With the new limits to orbs they just aren't worth the difficulty and time for the potential output except in close quarters keep/fort battles where the fight stays relatively still.  I personally would like to see a buff to electrogenesis proc rate for archdruids that way if someone wants to spec into using damage oriented majors and the death tray then they can, and heal tray focused folks can still cast orbs as their primary.  I like the archdruid in concept, and I have dedicated myself for quite some time to try to make it work, much to the dismay of my guild who feels that me playing archdruid is a waste.

But thats just my thoughts, what are other peoples reactions?

17 hours ago, Kambien said:

My experience so far is that the archdruid is better but still quite lacking.  The 2 major problems I see, seem to be low access to minors and majors with stat bonuses that are effective, and 2 of the archdruid specific skills are ineffective in normal combat situations.  Barksin still gives bonus to thorns, but we have no way to modify thorns so barkskin is still extremely underwhelming as an "upgrade" skill.   Maybe make the thorns related minors increase the thorns bonus and bring back explosive thorns? The archdruid orb passive is another problem.  The increased duration was helpful, but still relies on a difficult and cumbersome mechanic.  Landing orbs is challenging, conditions have to be just right for the enemy to fall for an archdruid trap, and it only works if they are bad at hitting R and rolling out of it.  With the new limits to orbs they just aren't worth the difficulty and time for the potential output except in close quarters keep/fort battles where the fight stays relatively still.  I personally would like to see a buff to electrogenesis proc rate for archdruids that way if someone wants to spec into using damage oriented majors and the death tray then they can, and heal tray focused folks can still cast orbs as their primary.  I like the archdruid in concept, and I have dedicated myself for quite some time to try to make it work, much to the dismay of my guild who feels that me playing archdruid is a waste.

But thats just my thoughts, what are other peoples reactions?

play storm caller, fanatic, archmage or even frostguard, poorly made dergs even radical

I feel that Archdruid is still a one trick pony and lacks the consistent throughput it needs to be an "everyday" class rather than a niche "hold this spot" DPS.

With the reduced damage scaling on Blight, Archdruid isn't even worth playing for siege/fort defense at this point. There are more interesting build options now than pre-6.2, but since the Blight bomb is the only thing it does differently to other classes it's just not worth using Archdruid as a platform for those builds.

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

eecdd84bdc5daead4b795a3e075d2347.png

Bombs always felt streaky, inconsistent, and mostly just '4theMemez'. Lower damage output would be fine with me if it was just more consistent. For instance, if blight exploded new orbs placed in the field as opposed to already present orbs, then targeting would be more consistent and it would effectively punish stacks for not being observant. I get that this would be doing damage while in life tray, but shouldn't an archdruid be able to blur those lines? Alternatively making blight convert life orbs to death orbs that were proximity traps?

It just feels bad from the druid end - inconsistent damage, long time setup - and it feels bad to be on the receiving end - invisible orbs exploding on a choke/objective with no real counter.

@Pystkeebler Naturally I disagree that the orb bombs lack counterplay, it just requires that their two seconds of forewarning works correctly and that people aren't lagging out so much that they can't react in that time frame... The problem there is that both of these things are frequently borked in this game :D in the past when these things have worked correctly people would just walk/dodge/ult out of 90% of on-target bombs.

P.S. I otherwise agree with your post

Edited by Xarrayne

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

Allow players to drop either type of orb and swap either way. Give each orb different heal/buff or damage/debuff depending on the step in a 3 part chain or as a combo option. Would require some tweaking LMB and whatever, but it's an idea.

Would allow players to go more offensive or defensive depending on the need or talent/domain choices. Would provide another anti-zerg/blob role. Would make AD more viable to a group of any size instead of a niche one trick for a limited part of the game experience.

I would much prefer to see them introduce more support roles instead of niche, especially when the niche's strength can be dodged out of... I get people like the boom or bust potential, but seems more often then not the boom is held back because people don't like to be one shot.

Keep the damage and healing average with the strength being buffs/debuffs and using orbs to direct combat traffic to make plays. Not just spam doorways and hope enemies aren't bright.

I honestly don't mind if the one-shot Blight bombs required an 18 stack and full glass cannon build, but the damage scaling on 6.2's Blight is still set too low to achieve that and it can't be the only thing that Archdruid has to offer... Allowing Blight to explode orbs that you place in it would go a long way to making it viable, even if it still wouldn't be very strong outside of sieges.

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

Blight bombs dont seem to one shot anymore even with full DPS build and ideal situation, so they no longer fulfill the one niche that they had before.  I love the idea of the archdruid, and had such high hopes that the new system would allow for interesting builds, but the archdruid specific features just provide so little compared to other classes.

• 2 weeks later...

From the testing I have performed, Archdruid is far less of a one-trick pony with the bombs.  I've been able to find some really interesting and viable builds taking the 3rd minor.  There's a lot of options.  I think we should remember that Archdruid is a balance between Storm and Earth.  This is a promotion class that provides options - fits in well with groups and multiple situations PvP/PvE.  That's where the value is.  If you're expecting to dominate 1v1 engagements...I think it's certainly possible, but is difficult.

You're right @Kest, Archdruid can be said to be viable. Whether you find that acceptable comes down to the comparison between viable (can succeed) and optimal (will often succeed), and whether that "viable" status is sufficient enough for you and your group's liking.

I like Archdruid, it's one of the more fun and challenging classes in Crowfall and can be built to bring many useful tools to the table, and I don't wanna tell people that they can't have a good time playing it because that would be factually wrong... I'm just not impressed with its current state because there are much more optimal classes (primarily Earthkeeper, Stormcaller, and Inquisitor) that can bring many or all of the same tools while having much more reliable output. Simply being "viable" in direct output was fine pre-6.2 because you had a very unique combination of utility, but moving Blight/Root/Shroud into the default kit and Pack Avatar into all sorts of other places has changed that for me.

P.S. Grr Winterblades 🦌

15 hours ago, Xarrayne said:

You're right @Kest, Archdruid can be said to be viable. Whether you find that acceptable comes down to the comparison between viable (can succeed) and optimal (will often succeed), and whether that "viable" status is sufficient enough for you and your group's liking.

I like Archdruid, it's one of the more fun and challenging classes in Crowfall and can be built to bring many useful tools to the table, and I don't wanna tell people that they can't have a good time playing it because that would be factually wrong... I'm just not impressed with its current state because there are much more optimal classes (primarily Earthkeeper, Stormcaller, and Inquisitor) that can bring many or all of the same tools while having much more reliable output. Simply being "viable" in direct output was fine pre-6.2 because you had a very unique combination of utility, but moving Blight/Root/Shroud into the default kit and Pack Avatar into all sorts of other places has changed that for me.

I'm about as uninformed as they come with comparisons to other classes.  What's supposed to set each class a part, distinctively, doesn't apply so much to Archdruid.  As many have complained, the whole health orb/blight combo is too mechanically flawed for viability.  I would like to see some control.  Perhaps making those health orbs function sort of like traps could help?  Who knows.

• 4 weeks later...

I've found some builds that I enjoy playing now as the Archdruid, but I almost always skip the passive for detonating orbs because not a single build revolves around that aspect of combat.  The orb mechanic is far too situational and unreliable to be a main fixture for an advanced class.  I would like to see the archdruid passive (force of nature) change to be an increased proc rate with electrogenesis or have electrogenesis spawn an orb at both the player location and target location.  Or they could make it a passive that augments gaea's growth to spawns a death orb for each enemy hit, kinda like frostguards get with their ice sunder passive.  I feel like any of those options would be much more beneficial to archdruids in general and bring back the potential for strategic bomb play.

Edited by Kambien