Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1 Combine Crafting

Below is my proposal for single combine crafting. 

The example is a 1 handed blacksmith weapon, such as an Axe. The steps would be as follows

1) Insert weapon mold purchased from vendor. This would determine if the weapon is an axe, sword, gun, rapier, sickle, etc. If you so choose you could combine this weapon mold with an aesthetic modifier to turn it into a "Wood Elf Axe" for example.

2) Insert 3 stacks of 15 ore. These will determine the stat combination. So if I insert silver/silver/tin then I get attack power and slashing penetration. If I insert iron/iron/iron I get attack power and critical damage. Same way a metal bar currently works, you're just doing it all at once. 

3) Insert any type of advanced leather. This has no impact on the stats. 

4) Insert hunger shard. This requires the hunger shard tool to be equipped. 

5) press combine. 

6) experiment on the item as you normally do now.

7) Take your item. 

I think this single combine crafting system would preserve what is fun about Crowfall crafting (picking your combination of stats and being able to experiment on them) while removing the tedium of having to do 5-10 combine steps spread over 2-4 different crafter accounts to make a single item. Stats wise it would assume all sub components were 10/10 amazing rolls, similar to how metal bars / wood planks, etc. were changed recently. Yes, you'd lose your ability to mix/match stats, however, in my experience the mixing/matching of stats is suboptimal and typically only happens if you run out of the materials you need. You can still mix/match stats by putting different stats on different weapons/armor/jewelry. 

Coupled with this, we could vastly decrease item durability (and/or increase durability hits on death/combat) to create more gear churn. This will get more people out in the world farming WITHOUT increasing the crafting tedium tremendously. The crafting tedium is a big barrier to having enough "easy come, easy go" gearing in Crowfall to facilitate enough gear churn for a healthy gameplay loop. 

Thoughts? 

unknown.png

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Crafting interdependency is a farce. We all know that people just run 3 clients at once to craft most of the time on guild crafting accounts. Let's not beat around the bush. Any amount of interdepende

Below is my proposal for single combine crafting.  The example is a 1 handed blacksmith weapon, such as an Axe. The steps would be as follows 1) Insert weapon mold purchased from vendor. Thi

Infrastructure is a huge issue, and sadly one it doesn't look like we're going to meaningfully have addressed by launch since factories have been cut. Automation is a huge part of what made both econo

To answer the question "why not factories"?

To make that same Axe it would still be a 9 step process spread over 2 crafting accounts. And axes are one of the easiest things to make.

1. Factory Run of Metal Bars
  2. Factory Run of Stitched Leather
  3. Factory Run of Weapon Grips
  4. Factory Run of Axe Heads
  5. Factory Run of Pommels
  6. Factory Run of Crossguards
  7. Factory Run of Hilts
  8. Factory Run of Short Shafts
  9. Factory Run of Axes 

If every piece of gear takes 5 - 10 steps to make, then you're talking 45-90 steps to make a set of 2x weapons, 4x armor pieces, and 3x jewelry pieces. There's nothing easy come, easy go about a 45+ step combine process to gear up. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

As a crafter, I would like this very much.  I think this would make things so much easier and, like you said, lighten the "click" burden of crafting while preserving the customization currently available.

If crafting inter dependencies are still desired by he that makes the crafting system, perhaps make the cosmetic effects something that comes from different crafts, but keep the core stat stuff within 1 craft, as you have posted here.  I.E, different hilt or something might add a cosmetic change, and people can pursue that extra effort if they so desire, but it is optional.  Just spitballing here.

Been thinking about it actually. 
If this model had lower end results, say a different cap (-3) on the max number of pips you could assign, I could see both the complex current model, and this actually working together TBH.

Do the quick and dirty model, OR be a new player that can't benefit from the more complex recipe, and you have a much less time consuming way to get started on crafting.

Or maybe lower the bonus a touch (-5 -20%) for all the experimentation bonus options.

Edited by KrakkenSmacken
1 minute ago, Dern said:

As a crafter, I would like this very much.  I think this would make things so much easier and, like you said, lighten the "click" burden of crafting while preserving the customization currently available.

If crafting inter dependencies are still desired by he that makes the crafting system, perhaps make the cosmetic effects something that comes from different crafts, but keep the core stat stuff within 1 craft, as you have posted here.  I.E, different hilt or something might add a cosmetic change, and people can pursue that extra effort if they so desire, but it is optional.  Just spitballing here.

Crafting interdependency is a farce. We all know that people just run 3 clients at once to craft most of the time on guild crafting accounts. Let's not beat around the bush. Any amount of interdependency they add will be defeated with alt accounts. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

The problem is that you then dumb down the process, now you can have 1 metal bar with ap and crit 1 with sp and crit and so on, making your weapon more tailored made with your system you would be forced onto 2 stats.If instead of the 3 15ore stacks you put 9 metal bars, sure sounds good.

29 minutes ago, Dern said:

IMO, the click burden is only a burden now because we are forced to grind items to get the knowledge runes. The number of clicks has already been reduced once, and I think it's in a good place now (except for cooking, which still needs a lot of recipes converted). 

Fix the core problem rather than dumbing down crafting to make the pointless grind easier.

1. Vastly reducing durability is short-sighted. It is not fun to craft gear in volume and if we were fighting more, the gear would be breaking faster but the numbers of people in game are limited right now. You either have a system where gear is easy and comes freely but breaks quickly or you need to make the time it takes to gather/craft worth the effort and the gear has to last. If a crafter is chained to a table trying to keep a guild equipped because their stuff keeps breaking, that is not fun. 
  2. Harvesting is a garbage grind. The "bug" that they fixed was actually something that made harvesting possibly worth the risk. The volumes that are currently dropping, with good passive training, are horrible. The returns from harvesting need to be better. 
  3. I'm all for simplifying the UI to craft and make it faster but not at the sacrifice of the impact of scarcity. Yes, you may not have wanted stealth on that grip you made but that was the leather you had to craft with at the time. That adds interest to what could be crafted and puts pressure on harvesting certain items to get what you want. Dumping everything into one UI is great but don't do it at the sacrifice of the effects of the smaller combines. I don't want vanilla, uninteresting crafting.
  4. We need to get the wartribe bonus' into our crafted gear and without more combinations in the system, you can't do that. 

Overall I don't like your idea in that it simplifies the potential combines and negatively impacts the needs and impact of scarcity. I do agree with your overall premise that it takes too long to craft. 

Edited by Stout
25 minutes ago, Stout said:
  1. Vastly reducing durability is short-sighted. It is not fun to craft gear in volume and if we were fighting more, the gear would be breaking faster but the numbers of people in game are limited right now. You either have a system where gear is easy and comes freely but breaks quickly or you need to make the time it takes to gather/craft worth the effort and the gear has to last. If a crafter is chained to a table trying to keep a guild equipped because their stuff keeps breaking, that is not fun. 
  2. Harvesting is a garbage grind. The "bug" that they fixed was actually something that made harvesting possibly worth the risk. The volumes that are currently dropping, with good passive training, are horrible. The returns from harvesting need to be better. 
  3. I'm all for simplifying the UI to craft and make it faster but not at the sacrifice of the impact of scarcity. Yes, you may not have wanted stealth on that grip you made but that was the leather you had to craft with at the time. That adds interest to what could be crafted and puts pressure on harvesting certain items to get what you want. Dumping everything into one UI is great but don't do it at the sacrifice of the effects of the smaller combines. I don't want vanilla, uninteresting crafting.
  4. We need to get the wartribe bonus' into our crafted gear and without more combinations in the system, you can't do that. 

Overall I don't like your idea in that it simplifies the potential combines and negatively impacts the needs and impact of scarcity. I do agree with your overall premise that it takes too long to craft. 

Do you have a better/different idea on how to address that, that won't require a major code re-write? 

We have already been told that the very large piece of factories which was to help solve the "takes too long" problem, which is what could have made the current system really work and was a lynchpin of the plan, is not on the table for launch.

Not wanting some change within the bounds of the current system, just sounds a bit like letting "Perfect" be the enemy of "good". 

I'm not a crafter, yet sometimes I have to. The system Blazzen proposed would make life more bearable and allow me to get on with what I want to do as opposed to the time sink that the current system entails. 

If a system like this could be put into place with minimal setbacks to getting CF closer to release, you'd have a winner.

40 minutes ago, Judas1 said:

I'm not a crafter, yet sometimes I have to. The system Blazzen proposed would make life more bearable and allow me to get on with what I want to do as opposed to the time sink that the current system entails. 

If a system like this could be put into place with minimal setbacks to getting CF closer to release, you'd have a winner.

It's not about making it bearable for people who don't like to craft. It's about fixing the problems that actual crafters are seeing. Dumbing down the system doesn't fix the problems.

One thing they could do is a single recipe, but with multiple experimentation stages. So, you put everything in that is needed to make the current throwing hammer all at once, then you roll experimentation on pommel, crossguard, hilt, head, shaft, final.

I think this could be what you're suggesting, or maybe you're thinking just a single experimentation.

I don't know what they should do, but they should do something.

Edited by McTan
36 minutes ago, Arkade said:

It's not about making it bearable for people who don't like to craft. It's about fixing the problems that actual crafters are seeing. Dumbing down the system doesn't fix the problems.

There aren't enough of these "crafter" people, hence why you can't find good crafted gear for sale. There aren't enough of these people because the system is too tedious for most people. That's what I aim to fix. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

14 minutes ago, blazzen said:

There aren't enough of these "crafter" people, hence why you can't find good crafted gear for sale. There aren't enough of these people because the system is too tedious for most people. That's what I aim to fix. 

I do not know, but we have each crafter4 types, and even I do not see in trade chats messages with the purchase of a body kit, and in personal korolevstah are vendota with equipment, pomoymu you are full of nonsense