Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Blazzen's Top 5 Things Before Launch

This is what I think we need before launch. 

1. Performance
    1. Continue work on client controller to reduce desync. Shift more to client if need be. Implement “easy anti cheat” or similar if need be. Use any gains in this area to tighten aiming/movement and combat in general. 
    2. Improve UI performance. Allow for scaling and on/off for every UI element.
    3. Client FPS and all that goes with it. 
    4. Increase zone cap to 200 minimum. 
    5. Test more zones per cluster. Push the envelope to see how many zones a cluster can handle. Eventually the population will dictate more zones (hopefully).
  2. Easy Come, Easy Go
    1. 1 Combine Crafting
    2. Lower Durability and/or increase durability loss in combat/death for increased gear churn
    3. Adjust resource faucets
    4. Add equipped item loot for dregs
    5. Increase storage. Account Vault Storage needs to double, campaign bank storage needs to double, and we need to remove mobile banking and instead have a ranked up storehouse spawn additional faction chests in keeps. 
  3. Hand Shake Sieges
    1. Guilds set a 1 hour vulnerability window within a 4 hour server prime time window. Attackers must drop bane tree(s) during this window. Siege begins 24 hours after trees are dropped. Bane trees require a seed costing X gold as well as a banewood hunger shard which is an uncommon drop from hunger shards that spawn in the world. This adds a cost to sieging to cut down on "dummy" sieges and give attackers more skin in the game. It also makes sieges less common in spring and more common in winter as hunger shards become more prevalent. 
    2. Reserve spots in zone using Bane Trees (attackers) and Wards/ToL (Defenders). More bane trees/wards/tols, more spots reserved in zone.
  4. Scoring Improvements
    1. Combined Alliance Scoring. After a campaign is over, whatever the alliance state is at that time, add the scores together for a combine alliance score. Issue campaign rewards for top alliance score in addition to top guild score.
    2. Additional measures to prevent the exploitation of “per member” scoring. If not possible, remove it.
    3. Rethink/Rebalance Victory Cards. Many of them are exploitable (killing pack animals), broken (forts still count as “land” in a landless card but it should only be keeps) or just plain bad (the campaign glory card for sacrificing literally anything).
    4. Show a progress meter for each card and/or post mortem scoring to give players additional feedback on their card progress/ranking.
  5. Reward Improvements
    1. Daily Rewards (personal small daily quests).
    2. Weekly Rewards ( personal weekly quests).
    3. Seasonal Rewards (guild)
    4. Campaign Rewards (guild/alliance)

Performance really goes without saying, but it's #1 for a reason. Nothing else matters without this. 

Easy come, easy go is incredibly important for the gameplay loop. Without easy come, easy go, the game world dies. The rewards cease to matter because you cease to need resources. Fighting over the various resource faucets ceases to matter once you have your top end 2,000 durability gear made. We absolutely must have more gear churn to keep world activity alive. In order for crafters to be able to keep up with the increased gear churn we must have a simplified and streamlined crafting experience, hence 1 combine crafting. We need more bank space. We need better risk vs. reward in the availability and quality of resource faucets. 

Handshake sieges are important for a few reasons. The first is burnout. Once we captured 3 keeps, having to defend 6 nights a week was cause for burnout, especially when many of the sieges were "no show". Assigning an attacker and defender will allow ACE to reserve spots in the "zone cap" for each side so that zone capping is not a viable tactic to win a siege. It also means we don't have to login 1+ hour early to reserve our spot in the zone which is another cause for burnout. It will also give the attackers a bit more skin the game so there's more of a cost to attack someone's assets. Holding more of the map will become more difficult as guilds can be simultaneously sieged at multiple locations with a coordinated effort. 

Scoring improvements are badly needed so more people actually care about the score and have fun working towards generating points for their team instead of it feeling like a chore. Fun and generating points need to go hand in hand. Exploits and loopholes must be closed once and for all. We also need to either see our progress on a card or at the very least show the various scores after the season/campaign has ended so we can see how we ended up with the score that we did. We need feedback on our effort beyond just a single mark on the scoreboard. 

Reward improvements. For this to work we MUST have easy come, easy go, so people have a REASON to strive for these rewards which are likely to be resources of some kind. Daily rewards can be simple "daily quests" that individual players can do for a little bit of extra resource. Glory could be sacrificing 10 wartribe relics, weekly could be sacrificing 50. Wealth could be running pack pigs. Power could be killing enemy players. Rotate the quests to keep it fresh. Seasonal rewards are rewards that guild members get at the end of each season based on how their guild placed on the cards for that reason. Campaign rewards are rewards for guilds and alliances for overall campaign score. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I and others would want pre launch but at this moment these are my top 5.  

Edited by blazzen

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is what I think we need before launch.  Performance Continue work on client controller to reduce desync. Shift more to client if need be. Implement “easy anti cheat” or similar if ne

Yeah, all these things. Something that has truly dawned on me recently is that the sophisticated crafting system, with lots of investment, producing items with tons of durability that you can nev

I mean, I don't want to come off as dismissive, but Crowfall would be doing great to have the success of either EVE Online or more importantly Albion Online - both of which are full loot. Albion

51 minutes ago, blazzen said:

This is what I think we need before launch. 

1. Performance
    1. Continue work on client controller to reduce desync. Shift more to client if need be. Implement “easy anti cheat” or similar if need be. Use any gains in this area to tighten aiming/movement and combat in general. 
    2. Improve UI performance. Allow for scaling and on/off for every UI element.
    3. Client FPS and all that goes with it. 
    4. Increase zone cap to 200 minimum. 
    5. Test more zones per cluster. Push the envelope to see how many zones a cluster can handle. Eventually the population will dictate more zones (hopefully).
  2. Easy Come, Easy Go
    1. 1 Combine Crafting
    2. Lower Durability and/or increase durability loss in combat/death for increased gear churn
    3. Adjust resource faucets
    4. Add equipped item loot for dregs
    5. Increase storage. Account Vault Storage needs to double, campaign bank storage needs to double, and we need to remove mobile banking and instead have a ranked up storehouse spawn additional faction chests in keeps. 
  3. Hand Shake Sieges
    1. Guilds set a 1 hour vulnerability window within a 4 hour server prime time window. Attackers must drop bane tree(s) during this window. Siege begins 24 hours after trees are dropped. Bane trees require a seed costing X gold as well as a banewood hunger shard which is an uncommon drop from hunger shards that spawn in the world. This adds a cost to sieging to cut down on "dummy" sieges and give attackers more skin in the game. It also makes sieges less common in spring and more common in winter as hunger shards become more prevalent. 
    2. Reserve spots in zone using Bane Trees (attackers) and Wards/ToL (Defenders). More bane trees/wards/tols, more spots reserved in zone.
  4. Scoring Improvements
    1. Combined Alliance Scoring. After a campaign is over, whatever the alliance state is at that time, add the scores together for a combine alliance score. Issue campaign rewards for top alliance score in addition to top guild score.
    2. Additional measures to prevent the exploitation of “per member” scoring. If not possible, remove it.
    3. Rethink/Rebalance Victory Cards. Many of them are exploitable (killing pack animals), broken (forts still count as “land” in a landless card but it should only be keeps) or just plain bad (the campaign glory card for sacrificing literally anything).
    4. Show a progress meter for each card and/or post mortem scoring to give players additional feedback on their card progress/ranking.
  5. Reward Improvements
    1. Daily Rewards (personal small daily quests).
    2. Weekly Rewards ( personal weekly quests).
    3. Seasonal Rewards (guild)
    4. Campaign Rewards (guild/alliance)

Performance really goes without saying, but it's #1 for a reason. Nothing else matters without this. 

Easy come, easy go is incredibly important for the gameplay loop. Without easy come, easy go, the game world dies. The rewards cease to matter because you cease to need resources. Fighting over the various resource faucets ceases to matter once you have your top end 2,000 durability gear made. We absolutely must have more gear churn to keep world activity alive. In order for crafters to be able to keep up with the increased gear churn we must have a simplified and streamlined crafting experience, hence 1 combine crafting. We need more bank space. We need better risk vs. reward in the availability and quality of resource faucets. 

Handshake sieges are important for a few reasons. The first is burnout. Once we captured 3 keeps, having to defend 6 nights a week was cause for burnout, especially when many of the sieges were "no show". Assigning an attacker and defender will allow ACE to reserve spots in the "zone cap" for each side so that zone capping is not a viable tactic to win a siege. It also means we don't have to login 1+ hour early to reserve our spot in the zone which is another cause for burnout. It will also give the attackers a bit more skin the game so there's more of a cost to attack someone's assets. Holding more of the map will become more difficult as guilds can be simultaneously sieged at multiple locations with a coordinated effort. 

Scoring improvements are badly needed so more people actually care about the score and have fun working towards generating points for their team instead of it feeling like a chore. Fun and generating points need to go hand in hand. Exploits and loopholes must be closed once and for all. We also need to either see our progress on a card or at the very least show the various scores after the season/campaign has ended so we can see how we ended up with the score that we did. We need feedback on our effort beyond just a single mark on the scoreboard. 

Reward improvements. For this to work we MUST have easy come, easy go, so people have a REASON to strive for these rewards which are likely to be resources of some kind. Daily rewards can be simple "daily quests" that individual players can do for a little bit of extra resource. Glory could be sacrificing 10 wartribe relics, weekly could be sacrificing 50. Wealth could be running pack pigs. Power could be killing enemy players. Rotate the quests to keep it fresh. Seasonal rewards are rewards that guild members get at the end of each season based on how their guild placed on the cards for that reason. Campaign rewards are rewards for guilds and alliances for overall campaign score. 

I'm sure there are plenty of other things I and others would want pre launch but at this moment these are my top 5.  

Only I still think they should put at least one arena, 5x5 or 3x3, with rank and some rewards? It would be very interesting

Good Points,

Only one I don't really care about is the durability loss increase. Personally don't want to feel like I need new gear every other day.

But My main concern is. we need a reason to play daily. Need the world to feel more alive. And worth logging into. Open world pvp is fun, but when im searching most of the time, with no other objectives other then to hopefully find someone, its not fun.

13 minutes ago, UDeadPRO said:

Only I still think they should put at least one arena, 5x5 or 3x3, with rank and some rewards? It would be very interesting

We could try something like that using EKs, no? Schedule matches on the forums and then have the teams meet in an EK to battle it out. I remember UDL used to do PVP ladders back in UO ages ago, and for a while they were rather popular. 

If we can concoct some kind of arena tourney, we'd be able to assess at least some level of the popularity of it and probably a good bit of the mechanics/rules of it. From there, submit it to ACE and se where it goes. 

1 hour ago, blazzen said:
  • Improve UI performance. Allow for scaling and on/off for every UI element.
  •  

pretty sure jtodd stated that they arent doing poorly made dergs with the UI prior to release unfortunately 

I think the game is - overall - in a solid state at this point in beta, but there's a glaring issue of progression that needs to be addressed.

The "account" skill tree needs to be completely reworked and steered away from low-tier allowances.  For example - there's a ceiling to progression with harvesting resources that players hit almost immediately.  At this point, the best means to obtain gear is through loot.  This goes against the entire idea of a player-driven economy.  Players need the ability to harvest and craft things much faster.

Perhaps the way you do this is through the sacrifice system.  If I am sitting around waiting for my passive tree, can I at least get the option to speed it's progression in some way?  IDK.

11 minutes ago, Kest said:

I think the game is - overall - in a solid state at this point in beta, but there's a glaring issue of progression that needs to be addressed.

The "account" skill tree needs to be completely reworked and steered away from low-tier allowances.  For example - there's a ceiling to progression with harvesting resources that players hit almost immediately.  At this point, the best means to obtain gear is through loot.  This goes against the entire idea of a player-driven economy.  Players need the ability to harvest and craft things much faster.

Perhaps the way you do this is through the sacrifice system.  If I am sitting around waiting for my passive tree, can I at least get the option to speed it's progression in some way?  IDK.

An interesting one would be, offline increases 1 point every 10 seconds, online up to 1.5 points every 10 seconds, or something like that, but this is not the biggest problem for me! but how to keep players active.

Currently we only have DREGS as the main content of the game. Only that, it will reach a point in the game that people will get sick of doing just that, an arena for example, I would play hours and hours in the arena, thus dividing the time in farm, craft and DREGS, it would be more things to do inside about the game!

Need more content besides DREGS.

1 hour ago, Khalanos said:

Only one I don't really care about is the durability loss increase. Personally don't want to feel like I need new gear every other day.

But My main concern is. we need a reason to play daily. Need the world to feel more alive. And worth logging into. Open world pvp is fun, but when im searching most of the time, with no other objectives other then to hopefully find someone, its not fun.

These two things go hand in hand actually. 

If gear is fast to craft (single combine), fast to gather, but fast to break, you're needing to complete that loop a lot more often which keeps people in the world completing said loop. 

The problem we saw at the end of 6.100 is that once we had our full set of blue armor, purple weapons, purple jewelry, the stuff took so long to break that nobody needed resources anymore and the loop died. 

Besides performance, the lack of "Easy Come, Easy Go" is the single largest problem in Crowfall. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

32 minutes ago, UDeadPRO said:

An interesting one would be, offline increases 1 point every 10 seconds, online up to 1.5 points every 10 seconds, or something like that, but this is not the biggest problem for me! but how to keep players active.

Currently we only have DREGS as the main content of the game. Only that, it will reach a point in the game that people will get sick of doing just that, an arena for example, I would play hours and hours in the arena, thus dividing the time in farm, craft and DREGS, it would be more things to do inside about the game!

Need more content besides DREGS.

gonna stay logged in running a macro i spose then instead :P

Veeshan Midst of UXA

Yeah, all these things.

Something that has truly dawned on me recently is that the sophisticated crafting system, with lots of investment, producing items with tons of durability that you can never lose while equipped - just isn't working.

People here have complained for years about the lack of a game loop, and we were all hyped about the Dregs release, and then not, and then the Beta release, and then not. Where is the game loop!? The game loop has always been there - it just doesn't function well because of a core game design component - that is too much permanence tied to hyper-involved crafting.

Thousands more people play EVE Online and Albion Online and in each of those games, which are both open-world sandbox PvP territory control games, the end result of a fight gone bad means you lose your gear.

Whenever I got back to play some EVE Online again for a bit, have been off and on since 2007 - I always take my most valuable combat ship in my hangar and go out and try to get it blown up as quickly and spectacularly as possible - primarily to remind myself to not be attached to ships and that is a fact of life in EVE.

As Blazzen so astutely pointed out, at some point after a wipe in CF, perhaps 2-3 months in, the top guilds, heck even some solo runners, all have their logistics sorted out and don't really need anything anymore. Game Loop Dead

I was originally sold on CF years ago from mention of similarities to EVE, and Game of Thrones. I don't think ACE really captured much of anything from EVE or Albion Online, much to the detriment of CF. I'm just going off of participation numbers. Peak concurrent participation in CF was the week after Beta release, and it has been steadily decreasing since, just like it has for the last 4 years after each previous major update. At this stage it should be the opposite.

ACE, please, god please - course correct.

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

Yeah, all these things.

Something that has truly dawned on me recently is that the sophisticated crafting system, with lots of investment, producing items with tons of durability that you can never lose while equipped - just isn't working.

People here have complained for years about the lack of a game loop, and we were all hyped about the Dregs release, and then not, and then the Beta release, and then not. Where is the game loop!? The game loop has always been there - it just doesn't function well because of a core game design component - that is too much permanence tied to hyper-involved crafting.

Thousands more people play EVE Online and Albion Online and in each of those games, which are both open-world sandbox PvP territory control games, the end result of a fight gone bad means you lose your gear.

Whenever I got back to play some EVE Online again for a bit, have been off and on since 2007 - I always take my most valuable combat ship in my hangar and go out and try to get it blown up as quickly and spectacularly as possible - primarily to remind myself to not be attached to ships and that is a fact of life in EVE.

As Blazzen so astutely pointed out, at some point after a wipe in CF, perhaps 2-3 months in, the top guilds, heck even some solo runners, all have their logistics sorted out and don't really need anything anymore. Game Loop Dead

I was originally sold on CF years ago from mention of similarities to EVE, and Game of Thrones. I don't think ACE really captured much of anything from EVE or Albion Online, much to the detriment of CF. I'm just going off of participation numbers. Peak concurrent participation in CF was the week after Beta release, and it has been steadily decreasing since, just like it has for the last 4 years after each previous major update. At this stage it should be the opposite.

ACE, please, god please - course correct.

I agree with some things,

Only the drop of loot that I don’t see from my side and from everyone who works, it costs you to craft a good piece of equipment for your character and lose it in 5 minutes, an example, it’s very frustrating! but the game economy is half dead, yes, they need to adjust the economy.

1 hour ago, DocHollidaze said:

the end result of a fight gone bad means you lose your gear.

That's a key part of it all.

Albion Online, EVE Online, Ultima Online... they keep the loop going because gear isn't just relatively easily destroyed, but relatively easy to replace. As a result, not only do those games have constant demand, but they also have the ability for traders and crafters to be someone in the game world, as well. 

In each of those games, PVPers have multiple backups of their gear. If a battle goes south, they can suit right back up and return to the action. After the battle, the players buy or craft more replacement sets to be ready for the next battle. 

18 minutes ago, UDeadPRO said:

Only the drop of loot that I don’t see from my side and from everyone who works, it costs you to craft a good piece of equipment for your character and lose it in 5 minutes, an example, it’s very frustrating!

In a system where gear is meant to be readily replaced, new gear is usually far more accessible and far less costly. 

5 hours ago, Khalanos said:

Good Points,

Your concern is directly addressed by your first point 😂

2 hours ago, DocHollidaze said:

EVE has territory control? I know when i played i didnt see that. But i didnt play much

Crowfall doesnt have territory control, just because you take a keep/fort in the some zone it doesnt mean you control the territory. All you control are said assets. Shadowbane didnt have it either. A game that DOES have it is conquerors blade and I believe lost oasis does too. 

Im still confused as to why they say its a throne war mmo, the game does need territory control. if not prior to release, eventually it would be nice. If you control most assets in a zone you should get a cut of resources that people or getting from that zone. Could be gold from people farming, crafting resources, building resources from a fort. This will also help smaller guilds. Bigger alliances can protect smaller guilds by protecting them in their zone(s) as they harvest, while they get a cut. I know @blazzen had talked about this before and makes a lot of sense

4 hours ago, blazzen said:

These two things go hand in hand actually. 

If gear is fast to craft (single combine), fast to gather, but fast to break, you're needing to complete that loop a lot more often which keeps people in the world completing said loop. 

The problem we saw at the end of 6.100 is that once we had our full set of blue armor, purple weapons, purple jewelry, the stuff took so long to break that nobody needed resources anymore and the loop died. 

Besides performance, the lack of "Easy Come, Easy Go" is the single largest problem in Crowfall. 

I guess it depends how fast, exactly. I think current wartribe gear durability is the absolute lowest I'd want to go for crafted gear. Ideally, I think I'd prefer double (so, 1k durability on a weapon).

I don't want to be in a situation where I'm weighing the potential cost of durability loss against the reward from participating in a fight. I don't want to be thinking "hmm. should I help with that king? It'll probably cost me 5% durability if I do..". I don't want to have to carry a separate 'trash' set of gear for farming wartribes and another for real pvp fights. I don't want to be constantly monitoring my durability and have to go back to temple/bank/keep all the time because one piece or other is about to break. I just want to see a pvp or pve opportunity and jump right in because it's fun.

Now, if I could craft my own passable gear out of quickly harvested mats, that changes things a bit, but if that gear is much worse than 'real' crafted gear, then I'm still going to be averse to spending durability on my 'real' gear if it means I have to bug our guild crafter and then they have to take time out of their day to make me a thing and then we have to meet up somewhere etc. etc.

.. or if there were freelance crafters selling their wares at vendors in temple and I could just buy what I need, that would be cool too - kind of need a working economy for that though. Again, the durability can't be too low though because I still don't want to be weighing whether I want to 'spend' durability on a fight if it means I'll have to go back to the temple or bank to replace gear all the time.

3 minutes ago, nihilsupernum said:

at vendors in temple and I could just buy what I need, that would be cool too - kind of need a working economy for that though. Again, the durability can't be too low though because I still don't want to be weighing whether I want to 'spend' durability on a fight if it means I'll have to go back to the temple or bank to replace gear all the time.

I think something critical to many of these concepts being discussed here is a functioning Auction House system. Not a universal auction house like WoW, but local auction houses that only provide wares uploaded from that specific location, and can only be retrieved from that specific location.

A system like that would reduce the amount of friction that the current "trade" system with vendors offers.

3 hours ago, DocHollidaze said:

Yeah, all these things.

I'm really really opposed to full loot because I think it discourages fights.

If the two of us are playing tennis, and when you win, you take my racquet, I can't play any more.

"Just use your hands lol", you jeer from across the court.

Well I can't hit a tennis ball with my hands, so I go and find a flat-looking plank of wood and try to return your serves, but it doesn't go well. I leave and don't come back.

I go to the store and buy a new racquet and in future, I only play worse tennis players than me and I take their racquets and not lose mine.