Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Amatsu

Wow Having The Worst Content In 10 Years - Your Chance To Strike

The "WoW Killer" Philosophy almost killed the MMO industry in the late 2000s (2008 to as far as 2011) and it never fully recovered, in fact many of the key people at the Crowfall development team were directly involved with those projects and admit that it was a bad idea, if of which it was theirs or that of their publishers is something only known to the lips of those who signed agreements of which their not allowed to spill the beans of.

No developer in their right mind would ever attempt to try to take advantage of any lapse in WoW's subscription base and some people are quick to forget WoW had a 'worst content everyone is leaving' spill before, it was back in 2010, 6 months into Cataclysm, which saw nearly 30% of the entire population of the game leave, to then all return one and a half years later with Mists (which is entirely responsible for many players leaving both SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 respectively).  The only reason SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 had massive success at launch - was because a lot of the players who left WoW after they were disappointed with Cataclysm flocked to those games, to then only return back to WoW again later.

Even though WoW is losing popularity now, Blizzard would find some way to make it bounce back; that or leave it to rott if their attempt to get in on the MoBA market proves to be a big success, but like every other cash in, it won't dethrone DotA2 and LoL.

Anyway - the smarter thing to do as a developer is to focus on anyone and everyone who is interested in your game - advertise your game, but don't attempt to appeal to an audience which isn't interested to begin with, simply in an attempt to pouch people from another game during a time with it's developers are making blunders.  Like I said, if history has anything to show for it, it's a real big mistake to attempt to do that.

i hope the dev´s dont look to WoW.

WoW is a synonymous for CASUAL playing, simplification and brainless playing

i dont like games like this and i think many player think the same.

Kind of sad when you think about it really, WoW at one point was none of those things, originally it was the MMO the devs wanted to make themselves, for no other reason than the game they wanted to play. Money and popularity change games for the worse sometimes... WoW is proof of that. Death used to have real consequences in WoW; in the pre-Burning Crusade period, dieing while wearing tier 1 though to 3 gear was an expensive repair (5g to 10g per repair was a lot back then and that's how much it cost), considering it used to be just as hard to make gold in WoW as it is to make ISK in EVE Online, in classic WoW, quests rewarded very very little gold and the only way you could make a lot of gold, or enough to support raiding was crafting professions, in particular mining and herbalism or running high end dungeons.

The changes to quest reward amounts from BC onwards fundamentally destroyed the economy of WoW and in turn also made the value of professions for trade, pointless.  Which is why everyone made alts to do professions on, because it was cheaper to make your own stuff, than to buy it from other players, because eveyone made their gold by doing dailies (a concept Blizzard stole from EVE Online).

Funny thing is Blizzard is notorious for this, they haven't yet had one original idea.

Edited by Synast

------------(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)------------

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

Hello,

from what I've seen and heard about Crowfall, this looks like a game which could have the potential to take over thousands of players from WoW... I myself play WoW for 10 years and have to admit the the current expansion is the worst one ever, players suffering from chores and absence of actual playable content... players cancelling accounts, leaving and searching for something new - me included.

THIS is the best time for you to strike and deliver whats promised. Do not wait, do it, run it, launch it and advertise this concept as good as you can, I am really looking forward to see Crowfall as the concept and the graphics are just perfect.

Fingers crossed.

Robert

This might be the best time, but Crowfall is still 2 years out till release!  I also played WoW for many...many years and found some of the new items in this expansion that had been taken from other games interesting.  That is until several months in when I yet again fell into a rut.  That is why I have hope for Crowfall since the darkness will consume the worlds creating a new experience every few months.

Wow is giving the industry more players to be spread about if you ask me, after leaving siege of org up for what, 14 months? And then releasing warlords with the main draw being a glorified Facebook game, it's leaving a sour taste in people's mouth.

A group of my friends have played wow since BC all the way through, have never lapsed their sub, even during the 14 month content draught, however just recently they all have quit, so I can only imagine this is happening on a larger scale, and those people may not come to crowfall, but I think it would be good for the industry for them to be anywhere but wow.

If anything, it would be an opportunity for Pantheon.  If they manage to get their heads out their asses.  Seems like they may be starting to.

What?

Because they showed pretty pictures?

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

What?

Because they showed pretty pictures?

They have gameplay footage now.  It's not overly impressive, but it's something.  Listen, for hardcore PvE players that enjoyed EQ and VG, this is the only hope left in the industry.  The new team looks like it is making progress and at least seems like it cares.  Don't crush what remains of my dream.

Every single MMO always has threads like this, and it's silly. 

WoW has proven time and time again that they are staying afloat.  Draenor pushed them back over 10million subs I think they are doing fine. 

Blizzard is in a holding pattern, they haven't made a next-gen MMO because no one is challenging the throne.  WoW still brings in about 1billion in revenue a year and until someone threatens that with a great game they aren't going to reinvent the wheel. 

Crowfall is not the game to take a chunk of WoW's playerbase.  If people are bored and looking for a pvp game chances are they stopped playing WoW long ago anyway. 

Crowfall needs to keep an eye on what other games are doing not what WoW is doing, we all know what WoW does. 

I would have said crowfall was a huge threat to take away EQN's potential pvp playerbase but after watching the combat system I think EQN's still has much greater potential.  SOE was not hit with mass layoffs, they were hit with some layoffs and this was to streamline the company, most of these positions were not people that physically make the game they were people associated with community relations.  The storybricks partnership dissolving is mainly because storybricks wasn't doing much at this point, they took what they can from it and are developing the rest of the AI stuff internally.

This might be the best time, but Crowfall is still 2 years out till release!  I also played WoW for many...many years and found some of the new items in this expansion that had been taken from other games interesting.  That is until several months in when I yet again fell into a rut.  That is why I have hope for Crowfall since the darkness will consume the worlds creating a new experience every few months.

Blizzard has been doing it for years - mainly to games where they saw a distinct threat to their money making appear on the horizon (it's the only time they add new things), here are some of the most blatantly obvious:

The Gem Socket System = stolen from Warhammer Online.

Daily Quests = Stolen from EVE Online

Garrisons = Blizzard's response to the return of player housing and player owned territory in MMOs Blizzard felt were rival games.

The only time Blizzard bothers to add gameplay features to WoW is to retain it's playerbase and discourage them from leaving to go to another game which has something gameplay wise better than WoW which their after.  Then they figure out a way to tie it into the next expansion somehow.  And that policy started with BC, I think the only expansion Blizzard ever released where it had original ideas was Wrath of the Lich King and they messed it up big time.

That's just off the top of my heard, I'm sure somewhere someone has come up with a comprehensive list.

Edited by Synast

Now in GLORIOUS 'HDvisioning60fpsblahg'

Blizzard has been doing it for years - mainly to games where they saw a distinct threat to their money making appear on the horizon (it's the only time they add new things), here are some of the most blatantly obvious:

The Gem Socket System = stolen from Warhammer Online.

Daily Quests = Stolen from EVE Online

Garrisons = Blizzard's response to the return of player housing and player owned territory in MMOs Blizzard felt were rival games.

That's just off the top of my heard, I'm sure somewhere someone has come up with a comprehensive list.

Socket system is from diablo2, another blizzard game.

Daily quests stem from repeatable quests in EQ1, a game the wow devs took great inspiration from. 

Garrisons were indeed a response to the trend of player housing, but it's not like blizzard stole the idea. 

Every single MMO always has threads like this, and it's silly. 

WoW has proven time and time again that they are staying afloat.  Draenor pushed them back over 10million subs I think they are doing fine. 

Blizzard is in a holding pattern, they haven't made a next-gen MMO because no one is challenging the throne.  WoW still brings in about 1billion in revenue a year and until someone threatens that with a great game they aren't going to reinvent the wheel. 

Crowfall is not the game to take a chunk of WoW's playerbase.  If people are bored and looking for a pvp game chances are they stopped playing WoW long ago anyway. 

Crowfall needs to keep an eye on what other games are doing not what WoW is doing, we all know what WoW does. 

I would have said crowfall was a huge threat to take away EQN's potential pvp playerbase but after watching the combat system I think EQN's still has much greater potential.  SOE was not hit with mass layoffs, they were hit with some layoffs and this was to streamline the company, most of these positions were not people that physically make the game they were people associated with community relations.  The storybricks partnership dissolving is mainly because storybricks wasn't doing much at this point, they took what they can from it and are developing the rest of the AI stuff internally.

I dont know man.

The alpha footage of EQN combat looked pretty much like the alpha footage of CF combat.

Only time will tell

This game looks like a larger scale version of marvel heroes so far with forts.  - nephiral marts 7 2015

I dont know man.

The alpha footage of EQN combat looked pretty much like the alpha footage of CF combat.

Only time will tell

EQN has locked camera aiming combat, and no telegraphs. 

Replacing WoW is a foolish endeavor, the game to replace WoW will not be thinking about WoW or trying to surpass it.

There's always been a gap in consumer service and an interest in a better MMO, but these fixations with the MMO industry instead of plainly making a better game is at the root of many failures.

EQN has locked camera aiming combat, and no telegraphs.

EQN is isometric right?

Edited by BahamutKaiser

a52d4a0d-044f-44ff-8a10-ccc31bfa2d87.jpg          Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes... Than if they're upset, they'll be a mile away, and barefoot :P

Replacing WoW is a foolish endeavor, the game to replace WoW will not be thinking about WoW or trying to surpass it.

There's always been a gap in consumer service and an interest in a better MMO, but these fixations with the MMO industry instead of plainly making a better game is at the root of many failures.

EQN is isometric right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tWzhdxVMw

Here is a video of the absolute barebones of the combat eqn will have.  Keep in mind this is literally their first version of combat with very few weapons and abilities, no changes for balance in movement or anything like that, no optimization.

There's a sub-sect of people out there who are playing Warcraft who want a different experience, and if we appeal to them... cool! 

People play different games, I'm not ashamed to say that I've enjoyed WoW in the past. It's totally possible to enjoy many games at the same time even if they fall under the "MMO" umbrella. 

What we don't want is people signing up and immediately try and make us something we are not :

"Hey, you guys need to add 40 man raids" 

"You should take features from X game that I liked!" 

They just won't have a good time. Because we won't make the game something it was never intended to be.

To those who arrive in the future: Welcome to Crowfall, we hope you like what you see :-)

Tully Ackland

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc. 

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

[Rules of Conduct]

Hello,

from what I've seen and heard about Crowfall, this looks like a game which could have the potential to take over thousands of players from WoW... I myself play WoW for 10 years and have to admit the the current expansion is the worst one ever, players suffering from chores and absence of actual playable content... players cancelling accounts, leaving and searching for something new - me included.

THIS is the best time for you to strike and deliver whats promised. Do not wait, do it, run it, launch it and advertise this concept as good as you can, I am really looking forward to see Crowfall as the concept and the graphics are just perfect.

Fingers crossed.

Robert

Kind of ironic since WoW was a major reason why Todd's first project (Shadowbane) lost alot of people. It seems Todd has been planning his vengeance for years and is prepared to strike!!   XD

OQa1xvz.png?1

lol ok.. I wonder if I'll still be able to steal directly from people's inventories.. hrmmm

;)Twitch - Twitter

RIP DOC GONZO

I arrive from the past.

My name is Marty McFly

Well, yeah...

Don't we all?

WoW and Crowfall are different market demographics.

Stop comparing MMOs to WoW. WoW is an anomaly, the vast majority[99.9%] of MMOs appeal to a niche market that is seperate from the WoW market. WoW is the exception, not the rule.

When WoW came out it was considered niche imo. Sure alot of people were going to try it because it was blizzard but the mmo scene never really had a huge demographic / playerbase to choose from when it launched. What made it good and kept me playing was how smooth the gameplay was. After dealing with casting while running in daoc (yeah yeah /face etc but still) and the shadowbane client WoW was a breath of fresh air (from a gameplay perspective).

Sure, a lot of the people playing wow right now never tried real pvp with partial or full loot but there's still those who are playing that have and more who would give it a go if their friends told em to try it. The best way to keep players with a game like CF, where the content is player driven, is to make sure it runs and operates smooth as dinosaur eggs. Then I bet CF will be able to take some players from WoW for sure.