Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Beta testing experience

Hi all,

Tl;dr: Got invited to beta test for 15 days. Don't understand how the devs think that is enough time to test and form a positive opinion of a game in this current state. Feel like ranting about it as I think it hurts the game more than it helps.

So with the intro out of thew way, I'll just go into my rant as I have to admit that I am extremely underwhelmed by the beta testing strategy of the devs.

I was told I would have 15 days to play the game from the moment I received the invite. So I'm expecting to drop everything just to try your game? So automatically I already lost a few days before I even installed the game to try it out. I haven't really kept that close an eye on the game, so at the start I was just messing around with things to get a basic understanding of the game mechanics and try out a few different classes to see what I enjoyed. By that time I was over the halfway mark of my beta testing period. So now I had to look for a guild to play with for less than a week. Even though I joined one and enjoyed some of the small scale pvping we did, I felt like a total dead weight. I obviously didn't have the best player skills, nor the best build and I couldn't contribute much in harvesting or crafting either since I didn't have most of the skills trained yet. Then the 6.3 announcement came and most people either waited things out to see if there would be a wipe or just went on to the test server.

Given that a main pillar of this game is guild play, how do you expect a tester to realistically familiarise themselves with the game and then find a guild to join and feel like they can contribute before not being able to play again? As a new tester you don't have the passive skills yet to help out, you don't have the player skill to do much in a fight. So you're left with just re-rolling some different classes which doesn't reflect what the real aim of this game is or you can farm some materials which you will never see the benefits of. I know the passive skills will be gone, but you'll still need to farm before being able to harvest and craft in the new system, which a new tester won't know straight away.

If this is how all the beta testing is handled I am really confused at what the idea behind this is. This game needs as many people in it to test as much as possible. How are you planning on doing that when you put off beta testers like this? Are the devs hoping we will want to back a game after these 15 days? This game needs you to be invisted in it to really enjoy it and you don't give beta testers a chance to do this. Instead we are just focussing on the bad things we experience. I seriously hope the devs will rethink their beta testing strategy as I don't think it's really working in your favour right now.

Even though I'm put off by this I'll still keep an eye on the game as I'm an old Shadowbane player and do like some of the ideas behind this game (although it looks to me like there is still alot of work lef to be done here). Maybe there will be an open beta phase that will be longer and will serve better to try this game out.

Take care all.

17 minutes ago, Eburon said:

Tl;dr: Got invited to beta test for 15 days. Don't understand how the devs think that is enough time to test and form a positive opinion of a game in this current state. Feel like ranting about it as I think it hurts the game more than it helps.

This needs to be looked at. Beta invites NEED to be permanent. One of the reasons for the lack of population right now is removing players after 15 days of playing. These players are barely able to find a guild and experience the game / assist in testing in any meaningful way.  There is no good reason why beta invites do not last until release.

Edited by Ruq

1KJChGN.png Dissentient

19 minutes ago, Eburon said:

I messaged you separately that you're granted access for 30 days, if you're having trouble accessing the game please reach out to support@crowfall.com or let us know here! 

ArtCraft Entertainment, Inc.  [Rules of Conduct]

Follow us on Twitter @CrowfallGame | Like us on Facebook

Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou are crunchy and go well with ketchup!

Once 6.3 hits live i think they should start doing perma beta invites instead or 15 or 30 day ones, i think at that point there you pretty close to being finished with your goals so probaly wanna start building a higher player base for larger populated campaigns ramping up to release.

Veeshan Midst of UXA

@ACE-TiggsIt really doesn't matter if it is 15 days or 30 days. Beta invites, especially with the population problems we currently have should be indefinite. You should also fix your messaging so that 15 days is never mentioned, (and imo 30 days never mentioned either) because the only result it can possibly ever have is to get someone NOT to participate in beta at all. It can never have a positive effect, only a negative one. Why start things out negatively??

Please change this practice and just invite everyone for the duration of beta.

The beta invites should be longer so we can actually see how the game is supposed to play out with an increased population.  Right now I cant even see how the servers are supposed to support 2k people(believe this is what they're supposed to achieve for a campaign ) with how tiny the maps are & world is.   The Temple >  to real world is going to be humorous with everyone trying  to kill each other  or the second they zone and the cap comes into effect.

7 minutes ago, MrErad said:

Right now I cant even see how the servers are supposed to support 2k people(believe this is what they're supposed to achieve for a campaign ) with how tiny the maps are & world is.   The Temple >  to real world is going to be humorous with everyone trying  to kill each other  or the second they zone and the cap comes into effect.

The maps are small because the population is small.

IhhQKY6.gif

10 minutes ago, Jah said:

The maps are small because the population is small.

They were pretty much the same when we had 300+ logging in.  The small map sizes allow the larger forces to cover whatever they want without strategically thinking about what to do.   I want to see the majority of the tiles filled with the same amount of zones or increased zones.  Right now the random generation packs to much stuff to close together that distance doesn't matter. So hiding behind the small pop = small map is a poor excuse.  Small pop = uninspiring game bland game.

Really, this game is not appealing. You send a person alone, for 15 days, with all the current problems it has, the new user experience is not enough, the game is not intuitive enough. And then, after 15d, you want them to buy it? 

Sorry, few will do.

The game has too many problems. Although it has a great pvp, but new players barely have a chance to properly pvp in 15days. Most did not know how to leave gods reach.

I don't understand why they haven't updated their information. It looks like Tiggs is even out of the loop. I was invited with 9.1 on October 2 and I am still here over 60 days later. Looking at how the invites have progressed it looks like it will be another month before 9.1 is dropped from beta.

I agree that all free beta accounts should be left active until launch though.

10 hours ago, Eburon said:

Hi all,

So with the intro out of thew way, I'll just go into my rant as I have to admit that I am extremely underwhelmed by the beta testing strategy of the devs.

I was told I would have 15 days to play the game from the moment I received the invite. So I'm expecting to drop everything just to try your game? So automatically I already lost a few days before I even installed the game to try it out. I haven't really kept that close an eye on the game, so at the start I was just messing around with things to get a basic understanding of the game mechanics and try out a few different classes to see what I enjoyed. By that time I was over the halfway mark of my beta testing period. So now I had to look for a guild to play with for less than a week. Even though I joined one and enjoyed some of the small scale pvping we did, I felt like a total dead weight. I obviously didn't have the best player skills, nor the best build and I couldn't contribute much in harvesting or crafting either since I didn't have most of the skills trained yet. Then the 6.3 announcement came and most people either waited things out to see if there would be a wipe or just went on to the test server.

Given that a main pillar of this game is guild play, how do you expect a tester to realistically familiarise themselves with the game and then find a guild to join and feel like they can contribute before not being able to play again? As a new tester you don't have the passive skills yet to help out, you don't have the player skill to do much in a fight. So you're left with just re-rolling some different classes which doesn't reflect what the real aim of this game is or you can farm some materials which you will never see the benefits of. I know the passive skills will be gone, but you'll still need to farm before being able to harvest and craft in the new system, which a new tester won't know straight away.

If this is how all the beta testing is handled I am really confused at what the idea behind this is. This game needs as many people in it to test as much as possible. How are you planning on doing that when you put off beta testers like this? Are the devs hoping we will want to back a game after these 15 days? This game needs you to be invisted in it to really enjoy it and you don't give beta testers a chance to do this. Instead we are just focussing on the bad things we experience. I seriously hope the devs will rethink their beta testing strategy as I don't think it's really working in your favour right now.

Even though I'm put off by this I'll still keep an eye on the game as I'm an old Shadowbane player and do like some of the ideas behind this game (although it looks to me like there is still alot of work lef to be done here). Maybe there will be an open beta phase that will be longer and will serve better to try this game out.

Take care all.

A couple weeks ago I asked ACE-Tyrant about Open Beta and he said they have no plans for Open Beta. 

Mac