Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Crowfall needs to rethink EKs and God's Reach

The game lacks 3 important things. Firstly, it lacks a strong out of campaign progression system. Secondly, it lacks a strong economy. Thirdly it lacks activities for players to do between sieges or guild peak times. As a result, there is little reason to actually keep playing, in the current game there is very little keeping a new player engaged, and there isn't enough of a community to involve new players in the game. Most of the time I spend in game is just wondering about, hoping to run into something to do in Infected, not even considering campaigns at the current point in time. 

But all 3 of these issues can be fixed by just integrating EKs and God's Reach into the game differently. Right now, EKs are basically useless, and God's Reach serves little purpose outside of being the tutorial (a poor one I might add) and is not really representative of the game as a whole. I propose God's Reach be repurposed into the social hub for the game, while EKs are integrated into directly into the game's progression by putting a further emphasis on their development. When starting the game you should be thrown directly into your EK, where you are taught about the community side of the game (building, crafting, trading etc). After being shown how to manage and upgrade your EK, how to use it to trade and how to give other players the ability to build in it, you should be sent to God's Reach where you will spend your early time similar to how you do now. 

God's Reach would serve less of a temporary role however. It would be the hub, it would be where you meet new people, interact with friends, relax when not playing the game etc. It would be where you spend your time crafting EK upgrades before you can do so in your own EK. It should also be a place where players can advertise their EKs to others, for trading and growth purposes. I feel having a hub like this would be important to developing a stronger sense of community and introducing new players to the game. To further aid this, I think players should be able to put runegates to their EKs in God's Reach, replacing the way vendor slots work currently. It would open up the opportunity for guilds to recruit more people, provide the ability for players to create their own trading hubs, give people more reason to hang out in God's Reach between combat encounters etc. 

The more up front nature of EKs would also make progressing them feel more worthwhile. You want to upgrade your EK because you want more people in it. You want higher trade potential. You want to show off your spoils to others. You now actively want to increase your EK's value giving more purpose to campaigns which in turns makes all activities in campaigns more worthwhile. Any resources you get will now contribute to your growth via your personal Kingdom, or your guild's kingdom. 

I think the game has the systems in place to be a worthwhile experience, however it doesn't actually integrate them into the game. All EKs are empty, barely any are running, browsing them barely works, most people fail to see their purpose because using them is just so obtuse. I really do think putting them at the forefront of the game with God's Reach serving as the hub will make the game feel a lot more connected, purposeful and alive. 

EKs are only useful for a guild. Individually it is useless, they only serve to have a larger chest (if you build it) to store more things, nothing more.

But if EKs was prepared for the guilds, they would need to have more things:
- Individual permission to SEE the content of noble chests.
- Individual permission to PUT things into noble chests.
- Another different individual permission to be able to EXTRACT things from noble chests.
- Yes / No permission to enter EK to any member of the guild.
- Another permission to allow especific persons outside the guild can enter.
- Yes / No permission to public entrance
- Enable / disable PVP

There are many things to do / think / develop relating to guilds.
It strikes me that this kind of thing does not exist yet.

God's Reach is very useful as a tutorial. And to practice with the character. I think it's fine as it is.

Two things concern me:
- How will the market between players be organized?
- What will be the fun in the game after 6 months, once we all have the Legendary Sets and crafting and exploration are no longer necessary.

____ Xuten RR ______________________________

23 hours ago, Xuten said:

But if EKs was prepared for the guilds, they would need to have more things:
- Individual permission to SEE the content of noble chests.
- Individual permission to PUT things into noble chests.
- Another different individual permission to be able to EXTRACT things from noble chests.
- Yes / No permission to enter EK to any member of the guild.
- Another permission to allow especific persons outside the guild can enter.
- Yes / No permission to public entrance
- Enable / disable PVP

There are many things to do / think / develop relating to guilds.
It strikes me that this kind of thing does not exist yet.

I fully agree, EKs are currently very bare and lack usability. But I think they need to expand this further. Imagine if you could create your own marketplace in your EK, let others rent out market stalls for a price and take a percent of the sales. You miss out on the issue of Albion (or current game) where the limited space means one guild can own everything easily and price match with others for profit. You also allow for a deeper economy to form and for anyone's EK to matter. 

In addition EKs need a more usable browser. Tags, purpose, size and population filters are all necessary to make EKs work. Anyone being able to start an EK up would also be a good help in making them more usable.

23 hours ago, Xuten said:

God's Reach is very useful as a tutorial. And to practice with the character. I think it's fine as it is.

I feel like you are partially right here. God's Reach does allow you to practice and does give you some understanding of how the game plays. But I think it could serve a stronger purpose to the game as a whole if rather than being this "go here for tutorials" place it would be the social centre for the game. In my opinion, incorporating the tutorial into EKs instead would let the devs really make EKs the core of the game. Then move you into GR to show you the combat and social features culminating with "Find a Party and go to a campaign" as the final mission. 

What I think Crowfall is missing (outside of polish, and more gameplay options in campaigns) is the core community aspect. There just are not any good community features in the game. Where realistically, EKs and GR should be the social centres where you meet new players. But EKs are completely dethatched from the game and in their current game are completely unnecessary and GR serves not purpose outside of being the tutorial that makes people quit the game. 

Ive been saying God's Reach should be hubworld for years. YEARS! I tells ya. It should all be a nice loop that feeds onto itself. 

On 12/29/2020 at 12:20 PM, Xuten said:

Two things concern me:
- How will the market between players be organized?
- What will be the fun in the game after 6 months, once we all have the Legendary Sets and crafting and exploration are no longer necessary.

As it is now, EK owners give vendors a spot to use, the Gods Reach hubworld would be an introduction to players EKs having a high rent cost and limited stock inventory and could mix with both models of free cities (the Free Keep and the Free Village) which would contain dozens of vendor spots whose inventory can be seen on the map.

I would imagine there would have to be a constant wear and tear of items and vessels to keep the economy afloat.

8 hours ago, MacDeath said:

IMO, God's Reach can never become the social hub for the game until they add some pubs / cantinas. Currently there is no reason to hang out there except to craft.

If EKs are properly integrated into the game, and players are given the ability to freely spend time in GR which is repurposed into a hub in which players can build upgrades for their EKs, promote their EKs and engage in meta resource trade you suddenly have reason to hang out in GR. Pubs would be nice but I don't think necessary to make a good social space.