Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

First Impression as a seasoned MMOer

First off let me start off by saying I'm extremely excited for this title, and a friend of mine has already jumped on board. I also am a content creator, and look forward to promoting this title to my viewers who've been looking for a new PvP title. With that said, I'm going to offer some constructive criticism that I'm sure many have already addressed, but also praise for initial observation.

Talent Tree/Skills 

While I typically prefer more of a sandbox approach to character development, I do enjoy the path system the Devs took in order to create a unique approach to diversify each player's play style. Two things that did bother me though was lack of description, and the inability to respect.

Players want to be able to test skills and builds prior to making a commitment to a final product. In PvP this is especially important depending on the build functionality. While it easy to level toons, nobody wants time wasted because they didn't like an ability, passive, or specialization. I do think if this feature is implemented at launch, more players will dedicate themselves for the long run, and adding additional information per skill will prevent players from adding a point to an undesired place. For example, the last three selections in specialization doesn't indicate the perks from one another. I hope later this is resolved to give players a more confident approach in their choice.

Social Features 

When my friend and I first started, we both noticed there was no friends list, no guild options, and no in game mail system. Now we did take into consideration that it's still in beta, and these features weren't game breaking. However we must keep in mind that MMOs are a Social gathering. The more access players have to these features, typically the better experience they have. An MMO these days without these features is like a phone unable to have social media apps.

Landscape

Regardless of how anyone prefers their visualization, I have an appreciation for games that aren't so demanding on the GPU. The more accessibility players have to play a game on a different systems, the more will play it. Crowfall deliveries this excellently! However...the lack of terrain is somewhat disappointing. Point...I haven't seen 1 river, a pond, a fountain, snow, or anything that separates one zone from another. While most would consider this not picking, I would remind people that visual recognition is another form of psychology that promotes excitement. A game doesn't need to have the best graphics to be successful, but it does need a touch of nuance to separate itself from monotonous landscape. 

Closing Statement

Overall I'm very pleased with this title. It's been a considerable long time that I have been this hyped about an MMO. What separates this game from the slew of others is the dedication and direction of this studio to undertake a PvP based game, and bring it to fruition. I applaud you all, and look forward to seeing Crowfall success.

Sincerely Mysticraven

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First off let me start off by saying I'm extremely excited for this title, and a friend of mine has already jumped on board. I also am a content creator, and look forward to promoting this title to my

Just do like zelda and make it where you only swim on the surface. Do one set of swimming animations per race, write a simple script that puts the "swimming" debuff on anybody in water, preventing the

Players in EU campaign (PvP) : 9 Players in NA campaign (PvP) : 14 Players in Infected (PvE) : 17 Players in God's Reach (PvE) : 22 What separates the dedication and direction of this studi

3 hours ago, Mysticraven said:

the inability to respect.

Respec is coming soon. 

Social Features 

When my friend and I first started, we both noticed there was no friends list, no guild options, and no in game mail system. Now we did take into consideration that it's still in beta, and these features weren't game breaking. However we must keep in mind that MMOs are a Social gathering. The more access players have to these features, typically the better experience they have. An MMO these days without these features is like a phone unable to have social media apps.

Agreed. This needs work. Most organized groups/guilds are using discord. There's an official crowfall discord for announcements and an unofficial Crowfall discord for the community. Guild functionality is through the website. It's definitely a bit different than how most games handle it and could be improved. 

Landscape

Regardless of how anyone prefers their visualization, I have an appreciation for games that aren't so demanding on the GPU. The more accessibility players have to play a game on a different systems, the more will play it. Crowfall deliveries this excellently! However...the lack of terrain is somewhat disappointing. Point...I haven't seen 1 river, a pond, a fountain, snow, or anything that separates one zone from another. While most would consider this not picking, I would remind people that visual recognition is another form of psychology that promotes excitement. A game doesn't need to have the best graphics to be successful, but it does need a touch of nuance to separate itself from monotonous landscape. 

They plan to add more biomes post launch. 

Blazzen <Lords of Death>

YouTube - Twitch - Website

21 minutes ago, BucDen said:

I'd settle just for the presence of blue water plane in the lake parcel just so that my son stops asking why it's still not there. :) 

wont see water for a long time atleast anything deeper than ankles :P they dont like coding swimming apparently.

lets just have Lava instead that instant kill u if you go in it 😛

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

1 hour ago, veeshan said:

wont see water for a long time atleast anything deeper than ankles :P they dont like coding swimming apparently.

lets just have Lava instead that instant kill u if you go in it 😛

Just do like zelda and make it where you only swim on the surface. Do one set of swimming animations per race, write a simple script that puts the "swimming" debuff on anybody in water, preventing them from using skills or abilities and forcing them to use that animation set. Trigger that state with a trigger volume placed on deep water. Put the "edge of world" triggers at the bottom so if people die in the water from ranged attacks the cairn spawns on the shore nearby.

Bam. Water with barely any extra design or engineering space dedicated to it. You can extend it after launch by having discs that give you water-only abilities like "dive" which works just like burrow, but only in water, swim speed passives, jesus boots for walking on water, etc.

Water was mainly considered a tactical impediment in ancient warfare so use it exactly in that way in stead of trying to do the standard MMO thing where its "just another place to explore"

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

7 minutes ago, PopeUrban said:

Water was mainly considered a tactical impediment in ancient warfare so use it exactly in that way in stead of trying to do the standard MMO thing where its "just another place to explore"

I like this approach.

3 minutes ago, BucDen said:

I like this approach.

Imagine also some other options for buildings. What if you could opt out of a guard building and replace it with an engineer's workshop that build extra static defenses like oil pots on walls or invulnerable (outside of siege windows) defensive siege, and have it culminate with a legit moat and drawbridge at r3. Then you make it so guineas can't take the swimming discs so they'd have to be visible crossing the moat before they tunnel in.

PopeSigGIF.gif

Rub rock on face and say "Yes food is eaten now time for fight"

19 hours ago, Mysticraven said:

What separates this game from the slew of others is the dedication and direction of this studio to undertake a PvP based game, and bring it to fruition.

Players in EU campaign (PvP) : 9
Players in NA campaign (PvP) : 14
Players in Infected (PvE) : 17
Players in God's Reach (PvE) : 22

What separates the dedication and direction of this studio from others is the willingness to kill their game again and again and again. Let´s hope Crowfall has more lives than the average cat.

1 hour ago, Nits said:

Players in EU campaign (PvP) : 9
Players in NA campaign (PvP) : 14
Players in Infected (PvE) : 17
Players in God's Reach (PvE) : 22

What separates the dedication and direction of this studio from others is the willingness to kill their game again and again and again. Let´s hope Crowfall has more lives than the average cat.

Infected is also PvP, just not with corpse looting.

macdeath_sig.png

5 hours ago, MacDeath said:

Well, IMO, most don't bother to gank if they can't loot.

i only gank when they try and take my mob camp im in/want cause for some reason infected is best farming spot??? seems legit -.- which is one reason why campaign is dead outside of seige hours no one running around to pvp cause most are in infected farming when it comes to mobs. Harvesters tend to all run stealth in campaign which limits what classes can kill them and objectives are meh outside of keep seiges

Veeshan Midst of UXA

13 hours ago, veeshan said:

cause for some reason infected is best farming spot???

For me, it makes the most sense. It's not top tier stuff, but I have zero chance of losing 15-30 minutes of harvest to a one-minute ambush. 

22 hours ago, PopeUrban said:

Just do like zelda and make it where you only swim on the surface. Do one set of swimming animations per race, write a simple script that puts the "swimming" debuff on anybody in water, preventing them from using skills or abilities and forcing them to use that animation set. Trigger that state with a trigger volume placed on deep water. Put the "edge of world" triggers at the bottom so if people die in the water from ranged attacks the cairn spawns on the shore nearby.

Bam. Water with barely any extra design or engineering space dedicated to it. You can extend it after launch by having discs that give you water-only abilities like "dive" which works just like burrow, but only in water, swim speed passives, jesus boots for walking on water, etc.

tbh just having a river like lava on some maps that kill u instantly would break up the terrain making for more interesting fights imagine a city/keep/fort located inbetween two lave flow with bridges going over it to get to the island the keep is sitting on makes for a whole different fight from what we currently have where there hard boundry that = death if you get knocked into makes knockback better too holding a bridge knocking people off into the lava and so on, creates a whole new dynamic right there

Veeshan Midst of UXA

10 hours ago, veeshan said:

tbh just having a river like lava on some maps that kill u instantly would break up the terrain making for more interesting fights imagine a city/keep/fort located inbetween two lave flow with bridges going over it to get to the island the keep is sitting on makes for a whole different fight from what we currently have where there hard boundry that = death if you get knocked into makes knockback better too holding a bridge knocking people off into the lava and so on, creates a whole new dynamic right there

The forests and canyons are fun terrain, but we tend to not fight there both because they don't have any objectives in them (aside from pigs) and because they're full of annoying mobs like bog bears and cats.

4 minutes ago, nihilsupernum said:

The forests and canyons are fun terrain, but we tend to not fight there both because they don't have any objectives in them (aside from pigs) and because they're full of annoying mobs like bog bears and cats.

I kinda wish they would give us assets for everything inside keeps and forts to and every parcel thats in game atm to play around with in our EK and create interesting forts/keeps they can then take from our EK to use in the game so we are helping making more diverse forts/keeps fights if they like the designs we come up with

Just wack them all on a vendor that is automaticly placed on EK in test server or something for us to tinker with and come up with idea for you. its basicly free labor to help make your game there :P

Edited by veeshan

Veeshan Midst of UXA

On 12/29/2020 at 11:52 AM, Mysticraven said:

First off let me start off by saying I'm extremely excited for this title, and a friend of mine has already jumped on board. I also am a content creator, and look forward to promoting this title to my viewers who've been looking for a new PvP title. With that said, I'm going to offer some constructive criticism that I'm sure many have already addressed, but also praise for initial observation.

Talent Tree/Skills 

While I typically prefer more of a sandbox approach to character development, I do enjoy the path system the Devs took in order to create a unique approach to diversify each player's play style. Two things that did bother me though was lack of description, and the inability to respect.

Players want to be able to test skills and builds prior to making a commitment to a final product. In PvP this is especially important depending on the build functionality. While it easy to level toons, nobody wants time wasted because they didn't like an ability, passive, or specialization. I do think if this feature is implemented at launch, more players will dedicate themselves for the long run, and adding additional information per skill will prevent players from adding a point to an undesired place. For example, the last three selections in specialization doesn't indicate the perks from one another. I hope later this is resolved to give players a more confident approach in their choice.

Social Features 

Landscape

Closing Statement

Overall I'm very pleased with this title. It's been a considerable long time that I have been this hyped about an MMO. What separates this game from the slew of others is the dedication and direction of this studio to undertake a PvP based game, and bring it to fruition. I applaud you all, and look forward to seeing Crowfall success.

Sincerely Mysticraven

All the constructive criticism here. Hope that devs will read this and take action. Will hope to see you in game, my friend, in 2021.

... and good luck.

Tyrant: you were too tough, they gave up. (10/15/2020)

On 12/30/2020 at 8:41 AM, MacDeath said:

Well, IMO, most don't bother to gank if they can't loot.

This is a new player I was talking about in the other thread.

Tyrant: you were too tough, they gave up. (10/15/2020)

On 12/29/2020 at 1:52 PM, Mysticraven said:

Players want to be able to test skills and builds prior to making a commitment to a final product.

download test server if you wanna test anything from builds, crafting to harvesting. free materials, leveling dust to get your toon to lvl30 in minutes. use target dummys or sing up an ek with friends and duel